Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage versus modern field test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedora

Vendor
Ok folks, I posted this challenge in another thread that will be locked down. As many know, Matt and I battle over this vintage versus modern felt, etc. He maintains the new stuff will crack, droop and shrink. So, I think it is time we put this to the test. What we need is a guy who works outside for a living and therefore is exposed to the sun, and the rain and all weather conditions. If Matt will put a hat where his mouth is, I will make a pure beaver hat out of modern felt and we shall send both hats to the fellow who is up to the challenge. The hat that Matt supplies has to be one of his vintage blends, with no edge treatment. A raw edge. Now the guy must have no dogs in this race, and be completely objective in his treatment of these hats. He will wear the vintage hat one day, and the new hat the next, alternating. If one hat is exposed to rain, he must also expose the other one at some point in time so that each hat is exposed to the wet as equally as possible. Both hats should be kept in the same room or environment when not being worn. This field test needs to go on for one year. At the end of that time, he will make his report to this forum, along with pics and his impressions of how each took the weather and wear. Then all can look and listen and make their own minds up. Now, I know the modern felt will have one disadvantage here. It is still a living material in a manner of speaking, while the 50 year old vintage hat is composed of dead underfur. I fully expect the new felt to taper somewhat, but I also expect the vintage hat to be worn out due to the dead felt. I think my hat will look better at the end of a year, if worn outside as I have mentioned. So, if Matt wants to do this, I am game and ready. We just need to pick a volunteer that we are both comfortable with. And preferably someone we do not know on a personal level. This is the only way our argument will ever be settled. If I am wrong, I have no qualms about admitting it. Never have. So, are there any volunteers? And, we shall leave it up to Matt on whether he is up to the challenge. Regards, Fedora

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Look if you want to test hats do it on your own dime with your own vintage felt... you yourself said you have the stuff. Why haven't you done it already.

I gave my results to the world when it came to Optimo hats and they seem to be making the closest to the vintage felt when it comes to wear so far. Only major flaw is the shrink factor.

I am glad to see you are willing to finally test what you have been claiming as fact for years though over and over again have been proved wrong about... and point of fact, you did say all beaver doesn't shrink... So I'm making you eat your words... too bad it's time you did.

Now if you want a scientic test admittable by the Lounge, we'll have to put together some real guidlines for felt quality before it is acceptable and shown on the Lounge.

You want to show your hats are fine hats... I don't doubt it... never did. Don't think I think lowly of the hat. I think lowly of people who buffalo others into thinking things that aren't yet proven true.

So putting the vintage up against one of your modern... we'll see, though not this week and not under those conditions. Something more accurate.

And obviously we're are getting somewhere if you are willing to go beyond the look and feel of a felt to decide it's quality... so for that I am happy.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Okay... here is what we are going to do.
We're going to do an official test.

November 17 at the Queen Mary open to public view.
The Fedora Lounge will come up with the criteria.

The hats will be submitted to the tests equally. All hatters are welcome to enter their fedoras.

More to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart