Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage "What Not To Wear" (Don't do it girl....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I love seeing ladies (and gentlemen) in vintage attire, whether repro or real. But there are times when I see a vintage no-no (IMO) in the making. Like, they should have a black bar accross their eyes.

What are some of your ideas on what is a vintage "no-no" in your opinion? I mean this in a lighthearted comical spirit so we can learn, not in a mean bashing spirit.

I will start. One of those no-no's for me is when I see someone wearing vintage outfits that are not age-appropriate. For example, someone aged in their twenties wearing something that a more mature woman in that period would wear. The outfit may be dead-stock vintage, but they end up looking more matronly than they should.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I don't like high-waisted pants on girls with stomachs (myself included). Makes you look like you're wearing "mom jeans"

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Desi- I have to agree with you one that dressing for your age thing! That is why I passs up half the vintage that fits me.
My vintage fashion no-no has to be not wearing appropirate shoes with what your wearing! Don't wear the lace up oxfords with the evening gown they go with a suit or a house dress! I have seen this one, its scary. I think what happens is people get ahead of themselves, don't wear the outfit with z-style shoe if x-style shoes is the only one that will go with it!Wait until you have the proper shoes and then flaunt that outfit until the end of time girl!

Samantha

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
There is...and if I recall correctly, it got closed because it will invariably end up insulting someone who say 'wears full trousers and is male'.....when someone says that that is their pet peeve.

Or wears high waisted trousers...which for most of us are a true vintage cut of pants....

Sadly, there is virtually no way to keep it lighthearted when we are in essence critiquing other peoples clothing choice.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
There is...and if I recall correctly, it got closed because it will invariably end up insulting someone (...)

Sadly, there is virtually no way to keep it lighthearted when we are in essence critiquing other peoples clothing choice.

What if we promise to keep it educational? I don't want this to be a bashing thread.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
There is...and if I recall correctly, it got closed because it will invariably end up insulting someone who say 'wears full trousers and is male'.....when someone says that that is their pet peeve.

Or wears high waisted trousers...which for most of us are a true vintage cut of pants....

I was just searching for it and couldn't find it. Unfortunately, even those of us who don't consider ourselves elitists end up sounding condescending and snotty in threads like this.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
What if we promise to keep it educational? I don't want this to be a bashing thread.

Its not closed yet...but the issue is that in a minimum of 4 posts....we already have people with stomachs now -doubting- themselves and their ability to wear high waisted trousers, for example.

This sadly will not encourage anyone to have -more- self confidence to go dress more bravely...merely convince them what they are doing is -wrong- and they will be talked about behind their back...see what I mean?

There are few enough of us that we should be each other's cheerleaders, not each others critics.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Its not closed yet...but the issue is that in a minimum of 4 posts....we already have people with stomachs now -doubting- themselves and their ability to wear high waisted trousers, for example.

This sadly will not encourage anyone to have -more- self confidence to go dress more bravely...merely convince them what they are doing is -wrong- and they will be talked about behind their back...see what I mean?

I see your point, Miss Neecerie.

I guess I was looking more along the lines of something.. "Don't wear white after labor day" kind of critique. I know that there is alot of historical information that is scattered among our FL'rs that would be insightful if shared.

I, myself, know VERY little about certain fashion trends in the 40's and have learned a lot from some of my FL friends saying that certain things were "no-no's" back in the day.

Am I making sense? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80