Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Really beautiful post on A Continuous Lean.

Workwear patterns. Any sewing gals out there willing to make me a shirt?

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2009/04/03/how-to-make-vintage-workwear/

I just got this pattern... and a flat fell foot. I was thinking of trying it out pretty soon. I may take you up on that in the future.

il_430xN.99133079.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a shop apron at an estate sale today, but I know nothing about identifying what makes for quality denim, or how to date it. Even if it's no big deal, I'll get good use of my $1.
DSC_0005-2.jpg

no flash
DSC_0002-1.jpg

flash
DSC_0001-1.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
I saw these petrol station overalls at Beaulieu autojumble last year, they were over £100 each, too pricey for me, so I decided to take a photo instead.
CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1648.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Nice find Lefty! Good luck finding anything at a Thrift Store in Detroit...all plucked in the sorting rooms.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Very British Denim

Any of the American Contingent familiar with British military
and utility Denim???

It's real Denim, Green and Brown mostly- like this...
DSCN5011.jpg

I just picked up another pair of NOS/dry green denim Army overall trousers.
Same cloth as above.
They always have selvedge in the outseam.

B
T

Trotsky

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
Any of the American Contingent familiar with British military
and utility Denim???

It's real Denim, Green and Brown mostly- like this...
DSCN5011.jpg

I just picked up another pair of NOS/dry green denim Army overall trousers.
Same cloth as above.
They always have selvedge in the outseam.

B
T

Good stuff, have a few sets of it floating around. Used it when I reenacted in the heat for years and it is bullet proof. What Price Glory has decent repro WWII stuff that also wears decently.

Also, those Converse/Target chinstrap shirts are awesome. I wear it buttoned up with my "Dr. Who" U-boat leather jacket and some Marine HBT trousers. Good look and the blue/Green combo breaks up the all blue monotony.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Trotsky said:
What Price Glory has decent repro WWII stuff that also wears decently.

BUT- is the WPG "Denim", actually DENIM(as per my photo).
or is it just solid O.D. drill/twill. The real DENIM shows "white" on the back and from the front,
you can see that it's woven from olive green and natural color cotton yarns.
As opposed to solid color cotton drill which has been piece-dyed.

Eh?

B
T

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The MotorCities National Historic Area story of the week this week is about a CIO attempt to organize the workers of Newton Steel in Monroe, Michigan in 1937, and the subsequent strike.

A couple pictures went along with the story that I thought were relevant to this thread:

image-20080630175029.jpg

image-20080630175203.jpg

-Dave

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I call the first one to hit ebay at a reasonable price!

I posted these over on SuFu, and mattfink posted them on his blog (which I read and enjoy), but they belong here too. I thrifted them a couple of years ago, before I had ever heard of this whole work wear thing. When they sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars, I knew there was something I needed to learn.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

lci419

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
I call the first one to hit ebay at a reasonable price!

I posted these over on SuFu, and mattfink posted them on his blog (which I read and enjoy), but they belong here too. I thrifted them a couple of years ago, before I had ever heard of this whole work wear thing. When they sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars, I knew there was something I needed to learn.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Whoa! Nice. Are those cuffed? One curiosity I have had is, were heavy work type trousers cuffed or not or both? I have seen in catalog pics work trousers with cuffs. But I have a vintage pair of work pants that seem to be of too thick a material to put a cuff in and not look silly.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They weren't cuffed, and were much lighter than you'd think. I thought that they were some sort of jeans when I found them, but they were far lighter than modern jeans, and I've got no experience with vintage denim.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Very cool Lefty.. The Place where Disfarmer made his photos {Heber Springs AR] is where my inlaws live, I have seen several [prints] of his. Very neat photos indeed.

That's fantastic. He's new to me, but his images are great for both this thread and the hats forum. I've got books on the way from the library to learn more.

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
Here are some pictures I have gotten from the Life Archives. Some pretty good stuff:
CCC

4650081097_d94f5cea97_b.jpg

4650084143_a881ddb314_b.jpg

4650714122_2e023a8b16_b.jpg

set-72157624036724583

Sailors/Merchant Mariners
4650083831_82cd537a3d_b.jpg

4650703126_2b5d4bab57_b.jpg

4650111297_03503d2c15_b.jpg

4650120157_0df9616c0b_b.jpg

Got a lot of inspiration from these. More later
Charlie