Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Metatron

One Too Many
I think I have just the thing for you:

Annex-BrandoMarlonOntheWaterfront_08.jpg

:D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know how common it was to wear saddle shoes as workwear? I found a photograph of my great-grandfather (a plasterer) in his work clothes - cap and coveralls - and he's wearing saddle shoes! This was sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. My thought was that a modern craftsman doing drywall or plaster work would probably wear tennis shoes, so it makes sense that his '40s or '50s equivalent might wear a sport shoe also.

Or, do you think he just switched footwear while taking a break? Seems unlikely, since I'd expect him to have also shed his coveralls.

I'll try to get the picture scanned and posted next time I'm back home.

Will015

Familiar Face
David,
What color are your grandfathers overalls? I would assume the saddle shoes were worn because they are white and so was the plaster. This way he could get "mud" on his shoes and it wouldn't be that noticeable. It's the reason white tennis shoes are worn today by sheet-rockers/painters.

,Will "wear workwear for work"

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha. Nevermind. There are enough different fabrics for every taste, I guess. ;)

I was just hoping for cool pictures of european workwear. I just know them from some Brassai pictures who may be my favourite photographer of all time.
Mysterious Mose just told me about Norbert Ghisoland who seems to be a belgian version of Disfarmer. I didn't get his books yet.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know how common it was to wear saddle shoes as workwear? I found a photograph of my great-grandfather (a plasterer) in his work clothes - cap and coveralls - and he's wearing saddle shoes! This was sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. My thought was that a modern craftsman doing drywall or plaster work would probably wear tennis shoes, so it makes sense that his '40s or '50s equivalent might wear a sport shoe also.

They were originally sports/athetic shoes so I guess it would have been fairly common to see people wearing them in working setting. I've some similar old familly photos with my grandmother and great aunts wearing them for yard work, etc.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
To me cord was always a clichee 70s teacher look...together with a plaid sportsjacket.

Hey some of us teachers resemble that remark today, cords and a tweed jacket... :D Though I normally do not wear cords in Hawaii, but I do look for excuses to wear the tweed...

Flat Foot Floey

Ok. I think I found a picture myself. It's 1930. No text about the fabric though but it looks like corduroy (guy on the right at least)

1930smnr33010.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

Does somebody know how to tell if flannell shirts are vintage? I found some in Berlin with a pullover style half buttoning. Very long at the bottom. No spearpoint collar or chinstrap though. I didn't buy em so they are still there...

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Some Finnish workers shot by a German photographer during the mid-1930s. It seems that it was already quite popular back then to wear no shirt during the short Finnish summer!

Helsinki.jpg

Kotka.jpg

Kotka_2.jpg

Enso.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
- and he's wearing saddle shoes!

Anyone who engages in labor, isn't dressing for fashion. Typically, you would need something that is functional for the job you're performing, and since laborers often weren't paid much, they would be forced to wear whatever they could get their hands on. It could be that he just couldn't afford to buy the Red Wings, Craftsman, or whatever brand of safety shoe was popular at the time. Maybe he got those shoes as a hand-me-down, or found them in a garage sale, and he just needed shoes to wear to work. I doubt that saddle shoes were what every plasterer wore in that day. I once saw a painter with bowling shoes. I didn't stop to ask him why.

D

Deleted member 16736

vintage workwear prices have gone absolutely nuts. i've pretty much given up hope of ever finding an affordable 1920s-30s shawl collar cardigan, an item which has become a bit of a holy grail for me.

A reproduction, but made by an original company using original equipment and original patterns. Available in navy, black, and gray.

www.dehen1920.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24