Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

I'll be selling this soon. 1930s or 40s (?) RM Williams Longhorn Brand.

More here:http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/blue-suede-waistcoat/
rmwilliamswaistcoat1.jpg

rmwilliamswaistcoat5.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
here's some vintage workwear Loungers may be interested, I bought it off UK Ebay, jacket was IIRC about £8 and trousers around £5 delivery was very quick and good value.
They were labelled as Swiss prison workwear, I have my suspicions that their first use was military as I cant see why you'd need belt hangers on prison jackets?
They are made of very heavy weight denim and shades are from grey to greenish bluey greys, there are some repairs and odd buttons but the two jackets I recieved and trousers were both ready to wear.
34y5zbs.jpg
124ga6b.jpg

The hangers can be seen on the rear shot, I removed them easily on the other jacket which I intend to wear as a winter shirt after I remove the shoulder straps too
57mzp.jpg

y18ye.jpg
bk4zp.jpg

there is a draw tape at the inside rear and a small button closure pocket on the inside right, (you can see the light cotton from the outside that attatches the button) my Nokia N8 fits perfectly inside the pocket.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The trousers are high waisted wioth button fly and brace (suspender )buttons they are also quite baggy or should I say full, there are two deep front pockets which could easily be removed I think and one rear button up pocket, on the front there are also a buttoned access flap to get to uniform underneath? (possibly made as over garments?)
My trousers had a good repair on both rear lower legs, I may convert them to plus fours which would be more comfortable than my current itchy wool ones!
jh7xvn.jpg
2a77r5x.jpg

4q6j4z.jpg
5anq5h.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh my. It's a beauty. I would prefer to have the patch pockets with a dark stripe edge too. Makes them stand out more.

For future reference, since ebay links won't stay forever...and I won't take all my pictures down if I ever leave the FL ;-)
t2ec16hyue9s6ng5pbqzjth.jpg

t2ec16hhjgie9nnwsyorbqz.jpg

Gijoe

A-List Customer
This was the Swiss Army Work/ Drill Uniform ! Calls "Tenue Blau" Still used in The Army. Not very stylish but stronger than Denim.
here's some vintage workwear Loungers may be interested, I bought it off UK Ebay, jacket was IIRC about £8 and trousers around £5 delivery was very quick and good value.
They were labelled as Swiss prison workwear, I have my suspicions that their first use was military as I cant see why you'd need belt hangers on prison jackets?
They are made of very heavy weight denim and shades are from grey to greenish bluey greys, there are some repairs and odd buttons but the two jackets I recieved and trousers were both ready to wear.
34y5zbs.jpg
124ga6b.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that, I guessed they were originally for military useage, as you say very strong...I intend to de militarize one shirt and redye it probably dark blue for a winter shirt to be worn over a long sleeve flannel or T shirt and under one of my leather jackets coupled with a cap, as for the trousers given the repairs to the lower legs I think I may remove the rule? pocket and shorten them into plus fours and redye them.
The other jacket only needs redyeing really as it is in very good condition.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I don't the good lady does that , I do the stitching...all the stitching in our house! she recently dyed several pairs of faded shorts which all came out excellent in dark navy, they have also proved to be colourfast....I believe she did them in the washing machine with Dylon?
I would think that these being so faded would dye easily? as for olive green, well what can you lose especially if you don't wear the item because of it's colour?
I'll post these when I've done the alterations and dyeing etc....I was hoping to get them done this weekend but apparently 'we' are redecorating the kitchen!!!

Flat Foot Floey

Funny that you mention it now. I just ordered a secondpair of the swedish work pants. I will try to dye them dark brown. There are some green threads that worry me. If they don't take the dye they will stand out more.

I will use simplicol because it us easily available. If you think this won't work warn me now.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Funny that you mention it now. I just ordered a secondpair of the swedish work pants. I will try to dye them dark brown. There are some green threads that worry me. If they don't take the dye they will stand out more.

I will use simplicol because it us easily available. If you think this won't work warn me now.
no idea FFF however Thats the colour I was thinking for my pair when I ve converted then to plus fours so I ll be interested to see your results!

Metatron

One Too Many
FFF, I was considering doing the exact same thing with those very trousers. ;)
My research leads me to believe that dylon is the most effective and easiest to use.

Please post about your results too esteban! Or are we now all waiting for each other to be the guinea pigs?? :D

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I guess we are, as I say I am decorating this weekend so it will be at least a week or two before I get chance to do anything, I love the trousers , I reckon with the small rule/measure holder pocket removed and the two front pockets reduced a bit ( though I do like the deep pockets!)and cut down into plus fours or even plus eights!they will be great when dyed....hopefully???

Flat Foot Floey

I did it! I dyed them brown. First I washed the trousers to get rid of any starch or other stuff that could influence the process. Then I used one box of "simplicol" in dark brown and a box of salt (recommended if you use only one box of the dye but you don't need it when you use 2)
First impression is very good. A nice dark brown. The green threads took the dye. Pictures coming soon when the trousers are dry and pressed.

I also got a french/blegian work jacket with belted back. A tad tight in the shoulders but I think I will keep it. It's "only" workwear and doesn't need to fit like a bespoke suit. :p

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
looking forward to the pictures FFF glad to hear they took the dye... I intend to remove the deep pockets off my pair and use them for pockets on the shirt/jacket then add a button hole to the shirt/jacket remove and repaint the buttons dark blue and crop the trousers into plus 4's or 6's not sure which then dye the trousers along with some old jeans brown and the altered shirt jacket along with some more old jeans dark blue/indigo, been too busy decorating and fixings up a bicycle before the bad weather sets in to get on with the real work of clothes alterations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24