Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
33wardsfw34.jpg

33wardsfw36.jpg

33wardsfw38.jpg

33wardsfw39.jpg

33wardsfw42.jpg

33wardsfw43.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Oddly, some of the 1930's chinstrap chore jackets depicted in the drawings have a larger collar than in reality. I noticed this in the 30's 40's issue of Free & Easy.

Feraud

Bartender
I've observed catalog illustrations also tend to show a skewed sense of body shapes. Many suit illustrations show men with tiny heads on broad shouldered tiny waisted bodies. Workwear illustrations show men of a blockier body type.
Illustrations pushing social ideals? I'll leave it to the experts to debate.. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
I think I have that Sears catalog. Is it the 1897 reprint?
Check out the pocket watches, fobs, and chains if you have the entire catalog. Way too much good stuff to drool over. :)

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
Nice collar on this one. It sold for under $10.

V48054-1.jpg

I'm pretty certain that is a British Army shirt Dinerman, used from the '30's through to the '40's. Very like an 'Other Ranks' in design and material, but collarless... I'm wondering if this may be an officers field shirt with the collar...

I have a very similar collarless Other Ranks shirt, with a collar made from the long shirt tail! A well done job! Very common at the end of the war when Other Ranks could get away with wearing a collar and tie, rather than have thier tunics done up to the neck.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Uniform and work shirts were made just like that into the '60s.
Early in the '60s it was common for the fabric/cloth to be synthetic/mix
but the styling, even the collar shape remained much the same.

I have a Police uniform shirt, which I'm sure is late '60s/early '70s
but it could "effectively" be 30 years older.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo