Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Mysterious Mose said:
She said 'super cute' in the workwear thread...

muwahahahaha... sorry about that :)
Thank you for the photo, I love that flickr set. I believe I saw a set of these photos that someone had filtered through photoshop and color corrected for modern printing. They were stunning. Searching "roundhouse" in this set brings up portraits of those women. The one below is great, is that a wool railroad cap she has on? There is a back view here.
They were all taken in 1943, so after women were replacing men gone off to war. I'm wondering if there were women in these kinds of jobs before then? Probably not. But I'm sure there were many women in small towns that had to do some typically male jobs just to keep their households running, so what might they wear for that?

2179240934_3b859db001.jpg

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
There's heaps more like the ladies at Douglas Aircraft Company.
Her cap looks like a flat (as in not an eight piece) newsboy/drivers cap with her hair bunched up underneath.
cap.jpg

Stifel had this:
mccall12-19177.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
jetgirl said:
They were all taken in 1943, so after women were replacing men gone off to war. I'm wondering if there were women in these kinds of jobs before then? Probably not. But I'm sure there were many women in small towns that had to do some typically male jobs just to keep their households running, so what might they wear for that?

Baseball became Women's work, during WW2-

B
T

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
Shirt Question

I always like this workwear look:

saboteur_foto_300.jpg

Richard Cummings on the right, in Alfred Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942)

I have one question about his clothes in the movie. want kind/color shirt do you guys think he is wearing ?

Charlie

mattfink

Practically Family
McFarlaneNYC said:
I always like this workwear look:

saboteur_foto_300.jpg

Richard Cummings on the right, in Alfred Hitchcock's Saboteur (1942)

I have one question about his clothes in the movie. want kind/color shirt do you guys think he is wearing ?

Charlie

One of my favorite Hitchcock films! I would guess either blue or gray....sort of what you would call business casual back then?

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Stearmen said:
All these photos of Rosie the Riveters, reminds me that no one has shown a photo of the most famous Rosie of them all, Norma Jean Dougherty! She was photographed at her job at the Radio Plane company for the August 2, 1945 issue of Yank magazine. She changed her name to Marilyn Monroe and the rest is as they say History!
radioplane_marilyn_1_500.jpg

I've found this pic, too, about a two years ago and every time I see it, I can't help but think of the subliminal entendre.

Doug C

Practically Family
mattfink said:

Here I go with the hats again... um, this pic reminds me of the hats my uncles used to wear back in the early 70's, they were welders by trade (most of the time) and I was very young but distinctively remember them wearing similiar hats... I remember them in hickory stripe and white polka-dots on dark blue. As for this picture, it's very cool but I bet that wool jacket had some holes in it before long, with the sparks etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo