Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Metatron

One Too Many
I love it when someone can pull off a bow-tie with a casual look. This old workwear is perfect for that, tailored elements combined with a rough fabric.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I love it when someone can pull off a bow-tie with a casual look. This old workwear is perfect for that, tailored elements combined with a rough fabric.

Bow ties were fairly popular with workwear as they didn't drag in what you were doing. Every now and again you see rubber or leather ones pop up that were (generally) part of gas station attendant uniforms, as they didn't stain.

Metatron

One Too Many
Bow ties were fairly popular with workwear as they didn't drag in what you were doing. Every now and again you see rubber or leather ones pop up that were (generally) part of gas station attendant uniforms, as they didn't stain.

Like this? I believe these are a couple of gas-station attendants which helped solve the Lindbergh kidnapping case.
Kind of cheesy looking clip on. But it has some charm.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The bloke on the right reminds me of Ron Mael:
ron-mael11.jpg

1943 -- Iden, New Mexico. A.E. Janes, foreman of a section crew working on the track in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad yard

8d27013r.jpg

Thoreau, New Mexico. Conductor C.W. Tevis, with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad for thirty-two years

8d45148r.jpg

Gallup, New Mexico. Clyde Trujillo, eighteen-year-old Indian worker who has been employed in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad car shops for four months

8d27262r.jpg

Gallup, New Mexico. Ben Acory, an Indian worker employed at the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad car shops

8d27265r.jpg

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. Brakeman L.E. Capsey preparing a meal in the caboose enroute to Gallup, New Mexico

8d15939r.jpg

Texico, New Mexico. Conductor E.K. Hill about to get off the caboose as an Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe train pulls into a siding

8d31897r.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the extension neckband (now commonly referred to as 'chin strap') is a common feature on vintage work shirts and repro versions, but what exactly is the point of it ?

it doesn't offer a tighter / looser alternative to the existing top button, plus it's hidden when the collar is down.

is it just a 'two buttons are stronger than one' deal ?

1eecf460aced015084143dfca8ed28e3_zps5a7da8a1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
the extension neckband (now commonly referred to as 'chin strap') is a common feature on vintage work shirts and repro versions, but what exactly is the point of it ?

it doesn't offer a tighter / looser alternative to the existing top button, plus it's hidden when the collar is down.

is it just a 'two buttons are stronger than one' deal ?

1eecf460aced015084143dfca8ed28e3_zps5a7da8a1.jpg

I can only guess that if you fix the strap to the first button, the you have a shirt that is still closed but that allows for either:
extra ventilation without allowing the collar to flap around, or
room for a scarf/jumper/neckerchief to be worn comfortably under the shirt.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I can only guess that if you fix the strap to the first button, the you have a shirt that is still closed but that allows for either:
extra ventilation without allowing the collar to flap around, or room for a scarf/jumper/neckerchief to be worn comfortably under the shirt.

could be. i'd be interested to see any ads or catalogue copy which mentions the feature. vintage ads usually aren't shy when it comes to trumpeting their own design features.

extra ventilation without allowing the collar to flap around, or
room for a scarf/jumper/neckerchief to be worn comfortably under the shirt.

Most reasonable explanation.
Loosen the collar without having it open. Makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy