Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Would love to have this one.

9011700old.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
My biggest conundrum is that I would love to add an elegant walking stick to my daily attire, but as a young (not 30 yet!) gentleman of the 21st and not the 19th century, I think it would be exceptionally difficult in most circumstances to pull it off without looking totally absurd and appearing to "try too hard".

My view is that a good umbrella is much easier to pull off than a cane if you are young and/or do not need a cane for a particular condition. So perhaps look for a nice brolly?

That is absolutely exquisite! Where did you find that beautiful cane? Do you have a link to the retailer?

I bet it costs a fortune, doesn't it? ;_;
Just as an example, the website Dan got that photo from sells them for $450 (U.S. dollars), and the website I purchased my canes from sells the same cane for $620 (U.S. dollars). Compared to some of the prices I've seen for that same cane $450 is a bargain, but it's still far out of my price range.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Just as an example, the website Dan got that photo from sells them for $450 (U.S. dollars), and the website I purchased my canes from sells the same cane for $620 (U.S. dollars). Compared to some of the prices I've seen for that same cane $450 is a bargain, but it's still far out of my price range.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that $450 is out of my price range too. My wife would probably murder me with it if I spent $450 on a cane! Maybe if one day I actually need one and they still make this one, I'll get it. At least I could justify it by necessity then!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
An umbrella instead of a cane would be a bit ridiculous if it's not raining or at least threatening to...

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting carrying an umbrella everyday no matter rain or shine. But with appropriate weather it is easier "to pull off" than walking about with a cane every day.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I see no reason WHY one should feel worried about carrying a stick around town with them JUST because nobody else does it anymore.

"Nobody" wears pocketwatches and chains anymore. And yet I'd never leave my house without one.

Just like "nobody" carries walking-sticks anymore, but the elderly, the infirm or cosplay actors.

The thing with carrying a walking-stick is that it needs to suit what it is that you wear. For us chaps, what with the vintage look and all that jazz, a stick would have to be classic and refined. Simple, or elegant, but pretty to look at, and above all, practical, nonetheless. Not those god-awful "institutional" walking-sticks with the grey rubber ferrules, handles and those oh-so-fashionable matte-aluminium shafts that just SCREAM recently-discharged-from-hospital.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This is another that I have seen on ebay. thought of getting this one... Any idea what this particular style of carved walking stick is called?
p_0001.jpg

02.jpg

It is one that Belly Tank has that he had shown in the Adventure Gear thread with his Alpine Gear (page 23, post #229). Of course his collection is to be envied.
DSCN3582.jpg

DSCN3583.jpg

DSCN3584.jpg

DSCN3585.jpg

I think I've been waiting on the right one that doesn't look mass produced though. Something that looks and feels sturdy.

Cheers!

Dan

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
An easy way to start out using a cane or walking stick, IMHO, is to shop for an inexpensive one at a thrift store, or better yet, at an antique store. Then take it for a walk through the park, trail or just out in the country. When anyone asks, just say it comes in handy to ward off snapping dogs, coyotes, foxes or even the occasional snake. :eeek::cool: Canes from the Ozarks can be kind of neat, and even inexpensive.:D

p0o9i

New in Town
Canes

Hello,
I'm really interested in canes but I find it quite hard to find some information about their use.
I'd be mostly pleased for a detailed description on how to wear it, what is the proper way of walking with it and of course what code of use does it have.
So if anybody knows about a proper source of knowledge or is willing to share theirs, please do so.

Thank you very much

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Welcome to the place! There seems to be three categories that canes [or walking sticks] fall into:
1. Cosmetic, this is where it is strictly an accessory for fashion and elegance.
2. A working cane, those used for hiking or to necessity to get around.
3. Self defense, these are not limited to "sword" or hidden weapons, but are useful to defend yourself.
A prime example is the Irish "shillelagh", which started as a stout club, but when the English outlawed them, the Irish simply made them longer and voila, it was now a walking stick!

p0o9i

New in Town
Thank you for your answer,
As I'm interested in the use as fashion accessory, I think checking the books is the right choice.
I ran through some books in my language and haven't found a single line about it. And I'm not really familiar with english authors.
Could you please recommend an author or a title in which I might find this peripheral information?

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points