Walking Sticks & Canes.

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Biltmore Bob, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Thanks. I spent about 30 min with a woodcarving knife just to see how it will lay out.

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

2. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is awesome! I have never made a walking stick, but carved a few wood spirits. I have some olive drying that I may try making a stick with. That one really is inspiring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Thanks DD. If you can carve wood spirits you're ahead of me. I'm not good at faces. I bought a book on how to carve Native American faces a couple of yrs ago but it was above my skill level. I haven't even thought about how I will carve this snakehead yet; just hoping something will appear I guess. I just don't want it to end up looking like something you would buy at Pier One Imports! I may not carve one & just pretend the snake is hiding its head around the opposite side.

Olive wood would probably make a fine stick or cane. Coming up with ideas for cane handles can be a problem. I would like to make a cane out of Cholla but can't source a piece bigger than a bird perch or aquarium piece. Plus then building a tank big enough to pressurize & stabilize it in. There is a seller on etsy with a Cholla cane made by a Native American. It's not stabilized so not suitable to use, & it's kind of fragile. She wants more than it's worth to me. So if you have any ideas for sourcing Cholla out there let me

Desert dog and Zombie_61 like this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I wonder if you could buy a snake-head topper for the cane that would work, as an alternative if you didn't want to carve your own? Looks very cool, great project. Great satisfaction to be had from making something you can use daily as a practical tool which also looks great.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  5. Desert dog

Thanks Jack, I will keep my eye out for cholla, it is very common around here. Most of it is too small, but occasionally I see some larger pieces.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  6. Desert dog

Hog cane. Not much to look at, but I bought this cane when I was 15 years old. I used it to train my duroc hogs for the show ring, while in FFA. Canes like this were standard equipment for hogs at the time. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Used like a Shepard's staff. Neat that you still have it.

Zombie_61 and Desert dog like this.
  8. Charlz

Charlz Familiar Face

9. Maybe I'll put this toy crow on top a walking stick.

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

GLewis, Sonero, Bamaboots and 3 others like this.
  10. Desert dog

A gift from my daughter. It was made by a carver in Yucca Valley. It is very lightweight and has an antler top.

Attached Files:

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

That first one is cool. I have a walking stick, but not as well carved as that one. I think mine came from Texas.

Desert dog likes this.
  12. Very nice gift from her, DD!

Zombie_61 and Desert dog like this.
  13. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

A recent haul from my trip to Jamaica in March.
    I have many many more canes to show.
    Recently diagnosed with Parkinson's I need a cane with me at all times. Great excuse to accessorize:)
    20200805_105926.jpg 20200805_105935.jpg 20200805_105945.jpg 20200805_105959.jpg

14. Sonero

I had no idea this was Star Wars related but this is an Emperor Palpatine cane like he used in the movie. I just thought it was an interesting looking cane.
    20200806_131028.jpg 20200806_131049.jpg

15. Sonero

Today's Stick du Jour
    Brass Panther from Poland.
    20200807_135357.jpg 20200807_135405.jpg 20200807_135412.jpg

16. Sonero

From the Ukraine. They seem to be leaders in woodworking. Why ?
    20200808_134250.jpg 20200808_134257.jpg 20200808_134300.jpg 20200808_134315.jpg

17. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Glorious walking sticks that you have showcased. I know that you will be warm in Wooly Pully sweaters, well topped with fedoras and steady with your special canes as you are being brave and strong in your daily challenges. I wish I had something smart and helpful to say but I am at a loss for words sir. Be good this evening.

Eric -

tropicalbob and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. Sonero

Wow Eric you said plenty. I really appreciate the kind words. I have been on this website for awhile now and I have really come to appreciate the crowd very much. I've got many interests that surround fashion and style but not many people who share the same passion. It is nice to share with like minded people.

I hope you and everyone (family incl) else on here stays safe through all of this .

Chris

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I really can't think of more hardcore credentials: "Say, that's a cool cane." Yeah, thanks, I use it to discipline my hogs."

Zombie_61 and Sonero like this.
  20. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Well now, @Sonero that's quite a collection you have there.

Sonero likes this.