Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Sticks & Canes.

Sonero

Practically Family
I love walking sticks primarily for hiking and bush craft, in that they are supremely useful but I suspect I will be using a cane one day, I had to use one less than two years ago after a bad motorcycle wreck broke my femur…at 32 I’m sure I’ll find a good use for a cane one day, maybe I should start thinking ahead, haha.

I don't wish it on anybody but if you need to use one do it the right way >>>> IN STYLE.

Magnificent late 19th century carved stag with glass eyes cane handle. Silver collar not hallmarked.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

crowquill

New in Town
My current work in progress. This handle is elk antler, and I’m preparing a maple shaft for it. Once the join is lined up I’ll smooth down the antler where it meets the wood for a clean transition.

Started making canes for myself when I started needing them. As others have noted here, most modern canes are less than elegant and most beautiful canes are too fragile.
879087A1-CE0E-4EEC-8664-9F8B92C1E7A0.jpeg
Just because one needs a cane doesn’t mean they need an ugly cane.

crowquill

New in Town
Update on that walking stick project. Mounted the antler head to a black maple shaft. The maple is a branch pruned from a friend’s tree, and is about the same diameter as the antler where they join. After gluing the pieces together I smoothed the join, filing the antler where it protruded and carving the wood to match the channels in the antler.

Have taken it out for a 2 km road test & it is comfortable & a nice weight.

Attachments

• A59B9DBB-B9AD-4231-8FDE-C40CC620187E.jpeg
    A59B9DBB-B9AD-4231-8FDE-C40CC620187E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
I have collected mainly walking sticks.....I have used a good many in my historical impressions.
Here is a foursome....
1671493093058.png

1892 GAR Washington Encampment memento....painted wood-grain decoration.
1671493194759.png
1671493216935.png
1671493254722.png
1671493327215.png

Unknown date knotty bamboo........
1671493375763.png

Unknown date Burl-wood stick.....I like how the handle ends in the burl (knot) . Bark was left intact.
1671493460577.png

Circa 1840 (or earlier) cleverly concealed locking dagger stick. Painted wood effect to resemble blackthorn? One "knot" is a lock button. Note the fireblued and guilt etched triangle blade. VERY FINE work.
1671493687681.png
1671493723886.png
1671493756154.png

Enjoy.......more to come.

Sonero

Practically Family
I'm one of the walking stick owners for whom function comes first. I cannot get around safely without one. Consideration number one, is if I stumble, will it catch me? All the prettiness, elegance, artistry, and craftsmanship, is of no compensation to me if the answer to that question is no.

I have one Derby, and one crook handle. The crook handle is by far the most used. On paved hills, I can shift my grip forward or back, and still use the stick effectively without putting additional strain on the wrist. The Derby doesn't handle hills so well, either not grounding properly, or putting undue strain in the upper body, and so I tend to use that one indoors, or in other areas which I know are going to be level.

The second consideration for me, is what to do when I need two hands. So many crook handled canes today, have handles that curve well past 180 degrees, and close up so that you can't easily hook it over your arm. Derby handles are usually quite good in this respect, although the effectiveness of the hook end can vary somewhat. As such, I would only ever buy a walking stick that I can both have a good lean into, and hook over my arm first. If it flexes worryingly, or has fallen off my arm by the time I've got my wallet out of my pocket, it won't be coming home with me.

Sadly, this all leaves a lot of ball ended, knob handled, straight handled, carved, jointed, and otherwise very attractive sticks, utterly useless to me. Traditional styles in tradition woods will always be what keeps me perpendicular to the pavement. Unless I head off into unpaved areas. There, the modern hiking pole has no competition as far as I'm concerned.
I totally understand. You can always purchase a strap for your c@ne but yes hook handles are the most useful. My canes also need to be used in self defense so build durability is a must.

Sonero

Practically Family
I don't know if this is allowed but I buy several of my canes now from The Purple Heart Armory. I would love to give them a plug. The work they do is exceptional and the prices are more than fare. The quality of materials used are also top notch. I have two new canes arriving from them next week. I will post photos upon receiving the package. They specialize in combat canes but as you will see they look great casually just the same.

https://www.woodenswords.com/

Cross posting this here as it is posted in: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/show-us-your-vintage-flask.110819/post-3009352

THIS is what is made when a person says: "I want a heavy duty custom stick, and a plain shillelagh just will not do, oh and I have this heavy brass sort of door nob Lion head thing. Can you make it?!?!?!?!?"

Unmarked, Unknown date............sort of craftsman style. Very well made.
Brass head is quite heavy.
1684419182148.png
1684419227773.png
1684419256145.png
1684419280234.png

Oh.....and while you are at it......;)
1684419311286.png
:)

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is allowed but I buy several of my canes now from The Purple Heart Armory. I would love to give them a plug. The work they do is exceptional and the prices are more than fare. The quality of materials used are also top notch. I have two new canes arriving from them next week. I will post photos upon receiving the package. They specialize in combat canes but as you will see they look great casually just the same.

https://www.woodenswords.com/
Thank you for posting this. I ordered a hickory octagon crook yesterday. I got the shipping notification earlier today. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow or the next day. I'll post some pictures once I have it in hand.
I don't necessarily need a cane but I have a busted ankle and I like having something to assist in walking. The extra stability is nice if I'm to be walking a lot. I plan on this being more of an exploration cane than a dress. It's cheap enough to not worry about and I hate hiking sticks.

Sonero

Practically Family
I have a Cold Steel Axe Head cane on the way. I look forward to posting a photo. After some time now using canes I realize that I won't be able to use wood all the time due to climate changes. Therefore I have been experimenting with hard plastics prop.....They feel very solid in the hand and are weather resistant.

Sonero

Practically Family
Thank you for posting this. I ordered a hickory octagon crook yesterday. I got the shipping notification earlier today. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow or the next day. I'll post some pictures once I have it in hand.
I don't necessarily need a cane but I have a busted ankle and I like having something to assist in walking. The extra stability is nice if I'm to be walking a lot. I plan on this being more of an exploration cane than a dress. It's cheap enough to not worry about and I hate hiking sticks.
You will love your cane. The octagon shape is great for self defense.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I have a Cold Steel Axe Head cane on the way. I look forward to posting a photo. After some time now using canes I realize that I won't be able to use wood all the time due to climate changes. Therefore I have been experimenting with hard plastics prop.....They feel very solid in the hand and are weather resistant.
I was looking at those. But I need something more....covert. I do like their Heavy Duty Sword Cane. Good stout blade.
I keep looking for Windlass's rapier umbrella. They discontinued it a few years ago. I haven't seen one come up in auction or anything either.
You will love your cane. The octagon shape is great for self defense.
You were right! This thing is awesome! Sturdy and comfortable in hand. I had to take some height off to get it where I like but it's very comfortable now.
Anybody own a BURGER South Africa stick, please tell your opinion of said. Thanks so much.
Yeah.....$1000 for a cane is out of the question. They are beautiful though.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I purchased a tactical umbrella cane from either ColdSteel or United Cutlery. Can't remember which one but it was fairly decent. My issue had to do with the height which was locked to 36" One inch too short for me.
That stinks. I hate it when anything is that close to being perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB