Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallets

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Hi all -- didn't see anything through searches on this, so thought I'd just ask.
I would appreciate any advice or comments regarding a high quality leather wallet. Who makes one? Anyone have experience with Filson's very expensive ones?
One of the reasons that I like vintage items is that they generally are of good quality. After opening my poor leather wallet this morning and noticing that after a whole two months of use, it's coming apart :kick: -- I decided that I would look for a good wallet (though after purchasing it, I will likely not have any money left to put in it).
Thanks very much.
David

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The hard part for me was getting a brown wallet. 99.9% of the leather wallets you see today are black. I did a lot of searching and finally found a nice brown leather wallet at the Harrod's gift shop at London Heathrow airport. The best part was the price. Normally when think of Harrod's, you think of the highest price imaginable. I think I paid 10 or 15 pounds for it.

radman46

New in Town
I Need a New Wallet, Advice??

I got to get a new wallet. Mine is like a file cabinet in my back pocket. What do all you guys use to hold credit cards, coupons, free lunch punch cards and money carry? Anyone have any experience with the front pocket wallets, good or bad? Thanks for you help.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
I use a breast pocket wallet whenever I am in a jacket. They work great and will carry your "heavy" cash, ID's and Debit as well as some business cards. Mine is similar to this.

http://www.irvs.com/image.php/itemno/TU1743/ImageName/prAltImageFile2/bcr//link3//

I carry something like this for "daily" use.

http://www.koyono.com/products/slimmy/specs.html

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLAT...?Params=Category=15-102|PageID=2284|Level=2-3

There are some other choices here

http://www.leathertree.com/shopproducts.asp?categoryid=1&categoryname=Mens+wallets+

And here are some great leather items.
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLAT....ASP?Params=category=15-529|level=2-3|link=LN

-D

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carrying a wallet in your back pocket can be very damaging to your spine, believe it or not. It tips your pelvis when you sit and puts pressure on your vertebrae.

About five years ago, I was getting an excrutiating pain down my left leg; it was horrible. It went on for months. I went to the doctors, he asked me where I kept my wallet, and he told me to keep it in my breast pocket. I never had that pain ever again.

I recommend a nice classic slim wallet for your inside pocket, perhaps from Brooks Brothers or Swaine Adney.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, back pockets are basically a waste of cloth. Maybe if I were skinnier I'd find a use for them, but the only purpose the serve for me is getting caught on something when I slide into the car. lol

I'm hooked on Aspinal of London. http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/

Bought this wallet a while back.

sbw_crbl_mid_sml.jpg
sbw_crbl_rgt_sml.jpg

I also got the Passport cover, luggage tags, toiletry case, and even a briefcase from them. The only piece I'm not happy with is the leather key case. The clips tend to come apart, and when I told them of this six months later, they offered to exchange it for free. They are VERY obsessive about quality. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Senator Jack

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I use a Taxi wallet and it seems to be a good hold all. It's not too thick and will fit in the brest pocke of most shirts & coats. Plus the price will leave you with enough green to stuff in it.
a7_1.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

Amazon Croc Calf Leather = Calf Leather Imprinted to look like Croc.

I don't think they have anything in Croc/Gator. Price is too high. I spoke with a friend of mine who is one of the top leather-crafters in the country - alligator costs $900 per hide. So if you find alligator anything for what seems to be cheap - be wary.

Regards,

Senator Jack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
DanielJones said:
I use a Taxi wallet and it seems to be a good hold all. It's not too thick and will fit in the brest pocke of most shirts & coats. Plus the price will leave you with enough green to stuff in it.
a7_1.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

Where does one find this?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
Carrying a wallet in your back pocket can be very damaging to your spine, believe it or not. It tips your pelvis when you sit and puts pressure on your vertebrae.

About five years ago, I was getting an excrutiating pain down my left leg; it was horrible. It went on for months. I went to the doctors, he asked me where I kept my wallet, and he told me to keep it in my breast pocket. I never had that pain ever again.

My Dr. gave me the same advice - unfortunately it came after having two herniated disks removed. That leg pain is indescribable!
I once had a closet full of trowsers with holes in the left seat pocket from wear caused by the wallet. Now I carry a very small business card case in a front or breast pocket and that's it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Where does one find this?

Scotrace: I found mine on the infamous e-bay under "Original Taxi Wallet". Just watch out for the imitation ones. They are easy to spot though.
They carry everything one needs, and nothing you don't, all in one spot.

Cheers!

Dan

Mycroft

One Too Many
;) I would go with an International Wallet or Card Case and use a money clip, it is a lot safer and cooler. Oh, and an international wallet is one with a bifold cardcase that has an ID pocket on the inside.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cigarette case!

Man, I used an Eastman Leather wallet for a wile... but, then I found a swell art deco cigarette case... it's pretty cool because it's thin, doesn't create any bulges and I keep things nice and neat. I only keep the bare essentials on me, driver license, ATM card, a credit card and AAA road side assistance card. Also, some business cards to people I need to keep in touch with. I do keep some cash on me but, not much.

It works for me rather well and it wont wear out... it probably wear out a pocket before it wears out. lol

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Yepp- the seller was selling a bunch of deadstock wallets in their boxes. There were like 3 wallets from the 50's and this one. I had won this one and then was watching a 50's wallet for a while but the price went out of my budget.
So now I can use a vintage wallet when wearing my vintage suits!
Speaking of 1939, I was watching "Angels with Dirty Faces" last night and Cagney pulls out his wallet a few times. He kept it in his back pocket but it looked alot thinner than what we're used to. I guess they didn't have to worry about thick plastic ID and credit cards.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Anybody have any more to add to the conversation? I have a trifold leather wallet made by Fossil, and hate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy