Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WalterDyer

Hiltz390GT

New in Town
Hey all, I'm looking to buy a Walter Dyer scooter jacket, but being the pain in the ass that I am I never like to buy anything, especially a jacket, without doing a lot of research. Having talked with a few people on here, it's clear that these things are pretty well built and robust. Does anyone have info on them? Also, any pics are of course appreciated.

Walter Dyer is a leather jacket maker and all I know is that they make what is probably the best cafe racer I've ever handled. They were known for the weight of the leather they're using, which made LW seem like mall fashion stuff (literally 6-7oz) and generally extremely well designed and made jackets. These are older jackets I'm talking about, 70's or 80's and I'm not sure if the new ones are still this crazy but what pops up on eBay still looks good to me.

Not the scooter jacket but this is a WD and what Monitor said. Looks like really, really nice leather.
IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Follow the link to the OP's jacket here: http://www.walterdyer.com/walter-dyer-scooter-with-zip-out/

Website makes them seem like a re-seller of all-imported Asian jackets, However several models list being made in USA, but not sure where or by whom? No details like leather type or thickness, just "thick leather" or "thin leather" based upon product.

Way back in 2001 I purchased new a two-tone brown & black USA-made cafe racer style M/C jacket that had the cut, venting and mesh inner lining that appeared similar to this jacket:
http://www.walterdyer.com/walter-dyer-morrison-for-men-507v/

It was the single thickest leather jacket I've ever owned, must have weight about 11-12 lbs. I sold in some years later for really unknown reasons (probably something silling, like paying for graduate school) but have never been able to find another one like it since. I have never remembered the brand-name. It was a one-off jacket in a m/c shop, and I really don't recall if it even had a brand-name.

The new stuff looks a bit suspect to me. Not sure. The hide looks a bit too pebbled and the cut looks overly generous IMHO.

Follow the link to the OP's jacket here: http://www.walterdyer.com/walter-dyer-scooter-with-zip-out/

Website makes them seem like a re-seller of all-imported Asian jackets, However several models list being made in USA, but not sure where or by whom? No details like leather type or thickness, just "thick leather" or "thin leather" based upon product.

Way back in 2001 I purchased new a two-tone brown & black USA-made cafe racer style M/C jacket that had the cut, venting and mesh inner lining that appeared similar to this jacket:
http://www.walterdyer.com/walter-dyer-morrison-for-men-507v/

It was the single thickest leather jacket I've ever owned, must have weight about 11-12 lbs. I sold in some years later for really unknown reasons (probably something silling, like paying for graduate school) but have never been able to find another one like it since. I have never remembered the brand-name. It was a one-off jacket in a m/c shop, and I really don't recall if it even had a brand-name.

That's it!
WD was the second CR I got. I had no clue about it and thought that leather that's 7-8 oz thick is normal for a motorcycle jacket. Later on I heard all this talk about the insanely heavy LW horsehide and whatnot... Funny. That WD was the heaviest jacket I've ever handled, made from a hide that was 2x any maker being talked about here at the weakest part of the jacket. And it's not just the leather, the whole thing was built like a tank. No. 8 zipper just on the sleeves, inverted pocket zipper closing (only jacket I've seen that has that), heavy canvas pocket lining, etc., etc. I've never seen anything like it and I doubt I ever will. Makes [insert brand name here] seem like a mall maker. It was so well tailored too, great reach on the bike, super deep shoulder gussets, trim sleeve cuffs, trim around the waist... Just perfect on and off the bike.

WD exists for some time now, they're completely old school and when they say "heavy leather", I believe them. Like I said, it has to be seen to be believed. People would ask me why and how can I wear something like that.

Let's hope the OP gets what he's after and posts a review here. It would be cool to see. And if you look at their prices they are quite reasonable.

This is just like mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walter-Dyer-Leather-cafe-biker-motorcycle-jacket-/291994252559

The auction is over but I'd go for one with such leather. Naked cowhide sorta stuff, without the shiny top coat. They're very soft and pliable and the weight is unbelievable. My jacket had flat surface without much grain except on the sleeve end and there was kinda stretch marks like what you see on Lost Worlds HH. It looked very natural. Argh, and I thought I could do better... -_-;

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This is just like mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walter-Dyer-Leather-cafe-biker-motorcycle-jacket-/291994252559

The auction is over but I'd go for one with such leather. Naked cowhide sorta stuff, without the shiny top coat. They're very soft and pliable and the weight is unbelievable. My jacket had flat surface without much grain except on the sleeve end and there was kinda stretch marks like what you see on Lost Worlds HH. It looked very natural. Argh, and I thought I could do better... -_-;
My Natal cafe racer is the same pattern, and also very heavy. I wonder if they're made by the same people, and just rebranded? Either way they are great quality,and very inexpensive for the value. Highly underrated if you ask me.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Yep, it can happen. I think Fox Creek Leather is similar and resonable.
https://www.foxcreekleather.com/
Tired on a friend's Fox Creek jacket a year back that was about 2 years old at the time, so well broken in. Did not want to give it back, it was so comfortable to just wear, but very thick, protective, and great leather smell and feel. A little too nice! :) Would protect very well on the bike, but great to wear if not on a bike either.

Hiltz390GT

New in Town
Well guys, here's what I've learned. Today I drove up to Framingham, went to their store, and tried some stuff on. They're jackets are... solid. I mean nothing really special about them like there is with a Natal, but nothing "wrong" either. Sizing is a little strange, the pockets are leather lined and don't have inverse zipper's anymore, and they are using a thinner leather now than they did back in the day. The reason I was given was because they used to make jackets for police officers, and now that's just not really a thing anymore. Does anyone know if Natal is still in business? I own a traditional Brando style, and it's the best type of leather I've ever found, but the jacket is just not really my style. I would love to find a Natal CR.

Hiltz390GT

New in Town
My litmus test for "biker jackets," is that it should be robust enough to save you and not tear if you spill on a bike, but you should also be able to wear it everyday casually and not look like a member of the village people. I would rate the current Walter dyer line up as better then a schott, better than a Milwaukee, but inferior to both fox creek and Vanson.

s-l1600.jpg

This could've been my jacket.

They must've been sourcing the leather from the same place in the past, then. This looks just the right kind of heavy. I understand why the guy is selling it for $500. He'll never get it but...

Hiltz390GT

New in Town
It's too bad. Monitor, from what you said and the pictures you pm'd me, the classic Walter Dyer's seemed fantastic! Although, as I said, there certainly wasn't anything wrong with it, and it seemed like a real quality USA made jacket; I just wouldn't call it a heavy duty motorcycle jacket.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Reviving this thread to show off my newly acquired Walter Dyer cafe racer.

Holy naked cowhide! This jacket is no joke. A real example of old-school craftsmanship.

I don't have any gauge to measure the leather but it's without doubt the thickest I've yet handled. At the same time it's fairly soft with nice graining. This goes along with all the comments above. Nothing flashy in a design sense, but it's overbuilt in a good way. Seems like it would be almost ideal for riding. Nice leather scent, too.

All the zippers are chunky Talons and the sleeves close tightly. The hand pockets are entirely leather-lined. The interior pocket is whimsically lined with what looks like a patchwork cotton bandanna. I found some info about Walter Dyer that portrayed him as a real character, so the pocket lining is no surprise (and a nice touch).

The quilted lining will make it toasty warm and I can't imagine feeling any chill while wearing it, even in really cold weather. I had to take the fit pics quickly before I burned up.

I like the fit, but it's tight at the waist. Like on the edge of being uncomfortable. I suppose it's an incentive to stick to light beer and work off a couple pounds.

The tag should read "Walter Dyer Is Sh*t-Kicker Leather."

IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

Forum statistics