Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing rayon?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Whist I sure this question has been asked many times I did a search and couldn't find the answer: can rayon be handwashed? I have a lovely late 40's dress that I usually get drycleaned but I'd really rather handwash it so I can wear it more often. I was thining of gently handwashing in baby shampoo and drip drying.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, it can be handwashed in tepid water and any delicate liquid wash. Squeeze out very gently as much water as you can and as you said, drip dry. I wash rayon all the time and have never had a problem.

It will shrink like mad but don't fret as it will go back to the correct size when you iron it. Iron on the wrong side when it is only very slightly damp as rayon is fragile when wet. If you have to iron any part on the right side, use a pressing cloth or it will get iron shine.

Just a note that if it has any sequins, DON'T wash it, as the sequins are likely made of geletine and will disolve.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Oh my goodness, I wouldn't use baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is actually not all that gentle- it's made to remove cradle cap, and can be pretty harsh depending on the brand. It also tends to leave build up for the same reason, to prevent cradle cap it often leaves a lot of 'moisture.' Which on hair tends to build up a greasy layer.

However, using very gentle liquid for delicates for instance, that could word fine. I used to use a very gentle shampoo that I knew rinsed well for stockings and the like.

Alice~

One of the Regulars
I'm not entirely sure where this is from, I've had it saved to my computer for a long time:
2m7vjpk.jpg

I've never had any vintage items dry-cleaned, and have never had a problem washing any vintage rayon with the directions in the image. I've heard a lot of horror stories, however! Just be sure to be gentle and as Miss Sis said, squeeze out as much water as you can (as gently as you can).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Iron on the wrong side when it is only very slightly damp as rayon is fragile when wet. If you have to iron any part on the right side, use a pressing cloth or it will get iron shine.

Great advice, but going by my own experiences, I'd be wary of ironing them if they are wet at all. I iron my rayons only after they have completely dried.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I find if they are allowed to over dry, then it is a lot harder to iron and you risk damaging the fabric as much as if it is too wet. So it being a fine line, just a tiny bit damp or only just dry has always worked for me, and I launder a lot of vintage stuff. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I find if they are allowed to over dry, then it is a lot harder to iron and you risk damaging the fabric as much as if it is too wet. So it being a fine line, just a tiny bit damp or only just dry has always worked for me, and I launder a lot of vintage stuff. :)

You're probably right, since mine usually come out very stiff after ironing, then I have to break them in by wearing them lol I think I'll try it with just a tiny bit of dampness next time. Thanks!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks all, especially Alice~ that's just great and I shall now wash with confidence! I always thought that baby shampoo was super gentle, I have heard it's good for washing woollens.

Runa

New in Town
In case you were wondering..........

On the alkalinity scale:

1 (Acid) <---> 14 (Alkaline)

Baby shampoo is at a 7. That means it's Neutral (neither acidic nor alkaline, middle of the scale), thus "no-tears". This is not to be confused as GENTLE for our hair, because our skin is actually acidic, at a 4.5 - 5.5 on the scale. Putting something that is a level 7 onto our skin means it's about 1,000 times as alkaline!

Laundry detergent is actually alkaline because it dissolves dirt and grease.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Update! I washed my dress in the bath with some baby shampoo (yes, I know, but I didn't have time to go any buy some Woolite and I couldn't wait) - and it turned out just fine! I just hung it on a hanger and left it to drip dry, job done.

Gwendolynn

New in Town
Has anyone ever revived a shrunken rayon dress? I hand-washed my FAVORITE rayon crepe dress from the 40s, without realizing how much rayon shrinks up. I was aghast upon discovering how dramatically it had shrunk- to the point I couldn't even try it on. It has been hanging in my closet ever since. I wonder if I spritzed it with water and ironed it inside out, if perhaps I could get some of those lost inches back. Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid of ruining it completely.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Has anyone ever revived a shrunken rayon dress? I hand-washed my FAVORITE rayon crepe dress from the 40s, without realizing how much rayon shrinks up. I was aghast upon discovering how dramatically it had shrunk- to the point I couldn't even try it on. It has been hanging in my closet ever since. I wonder if I spritzed it with water and ironed it inside out, if perhaps I could get some of those lost inches back. Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid of ruining it completely.

Gwendolynn, have you tried steaming or ironing it?? The same thing happened to me the other day; I usually avoid washing rayons, but had to get some grime out of a beloved '40s beaded blouse. It was all shriveled and tiny post-washing, but after ironing it snapped right back into shape.

I also iron my vintage items with a damp cloth over the garment, between the iron and the fabric, to prevent iron shine and protect the fabric. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid on that one, but it's worked so far lol

Idledame

Practically Family
Another warning on something I found out the hard way: just because a garment is washable doesn't mean you can soak it over night!. The hem tape from the 30s/40s is not always totally colorfast. I noticed the water getting brown the first time I washed a very dingy brown and white dress, but I thought it was 50 years of dirt. The dress was fine after hand washing and maybe a 15 minute soak. Next time I thought I'd really brighten it by soaking over night and the running dye left yellow-brown splotches all around the hem and on areas that were next to tape in wash tub!

Gwendolynn

New in Town
I will give it a go once the temps break a bit. I can't fathom steaming anything right now - 98 today and 102 tomorrow! Our central air broke, but luckily we were able to have it repaired quickly and affordably.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
You might find it is TOO dry after leaving it so long. I would re-wash it (by hand, of course) and iron when just damp. Rayon irons easiest that way and everything rayon I've ever laundered ironed right back into shape.

Just read back to the beginning of the thread for tips on handling wet rayon. It's fragile when it gets wet!

Idledame

Practically Family
A spray bottle of water works great to get fabric just damp enough to get wrinkles out, so you don't have to rewash the garment. My mom used to lightly spray all the clothes with water and put them in a plastic bag for a few hours before ironing, the wrinkles would all relax. But DO NOT forget them for days or they will mildew. (done that!)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I find you risk spotting if you spray it rather than re wet the whole garment, which is why I either rewash or at least immerse in water.

Of course there are different grades of fabric and cheaper rayons can be more temperamental than better quality ones, so I tend to err on the side of caution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy