Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We have moved! Rabbit's HAT SALE

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
After moving to new premises I'm ready to unload several of my best vintage hats - the ones that don't get enough head time anyway.
I'll be adding more hats as the week progresses. Please allow for up to 24 hour delay in my replying to your messages. Whoever says the magical words "I'll take it" first gets the hat.
I take paypal.

Hat #1

Size US 7 1/8 (large fitting) 1950s Borsalino Natalsca in a cool medium grey with black band and a very special brim edge treatment, the backfolded bound brim. As mint as it gets, a fantastic specimen. Full, high crown, 2 1/2" brim.

$275.- shipped wordwide airmail from Germany

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hat #2

1930s Panama Montecristi 1150 wpsi Optimo 2 1/2" brim with black band, has some white treatment overall but very subtle. The white treatment was apparently used by hatters during the 1930s exclusively, to further whiten the straw. One 1/2" crack at the crown, can be re-woven or fixed by adding a (removable) adhesive tape from the inside, which I can provide.
Size US 7 1/8

$155.- shipped wordwide airmail from Germany

Below: crack at the upper "edge" of the crown

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hat #3

VS Vintage Silhouettes by Art Fawcett custom hat in Mojave dress weight felt with tip liner, cream bound brim, 19 ligne navy ribbon, mojave windcord, and mojave VS stripe.
Made to fit a 57.3cm head circumference (US 7 1/4)

$275.- shipped wordwide airmail from Germany

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hat #4

1950s Brent 5X Beaver with cavanagh edge, 2 1/2" brim, 5 1/2" full crown, 2" black ribbon and black windcord. The felt is an amazingly beautiful light grey (simply marked "light grey" on the label) with a lavender undertone. it's similar to Art Fawcett's dove felt, but about two shades darker. The hat is in extremely good condition, there are no flaws at all (felt, sweatband, liner, ribbon).
Size 7 1/8 (generous)

$175.- shipped wordwide airmail from Germany

I'll dig up the other photos as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hat #5

VS Vintage Silhouettes by Art Fawcett custom hat in Dove dress weight felt with white liner, silver bound brim, 22 ligne charcoal ribbon and silver narrow VS stripe. 5.5" crown, 2 3/8" brim.
Made to fit a 57.3cm head circumference (US 7 1/4)

$285.- shipped wordwide airmail from Germany

More pics as soon as I get the chance to upload them.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall seeing such a great set of hats on sale at the same time here before.

Nik, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or pleased that most of your hats are a little large for me - I'd be very tempted otherwise.

That 5X Brent is my pick so far. Fantastic hat, but I was always a sucker for a nice Cav Edge!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, David. It has been a lot of fun handling and wearing these hats; still is. I hope they find a good new home. :)

Hat #6

Late 30s/earliest 40s Stetson Special Homburg midnight blue, 5.5" x 2 1/2"
Size 7 1/4" (small, fits an in-between size 7 1/8 - 7 1/4, but can be stretched back to fit a full 7 1/4)

$175.- shipped worldwide airmail from Germany

I'm finally ready to unload this beauty. This hat is completely mint. It's like walking into a store back in the late 1930s and buying a new hat. The market for Homburgs is not as tough as the market for Fedoras, but this one deserves some attention.
The felt color is a true midnight blue. It looks close to black under low light, and very dark navy in sunlight. I initially thought that the trimming were black, but I have to correct myself. They're actually the darkest possible shade of midnight blue, looking very nearly like black. The trimmings are absolutely stunning and add to the subtle appearance of the hat.
The sweatband imprint and the contrast bow is sheer beauty. The liner is made of a rather unusual material, it feels like a version of silk that has an extremely dry hand.
Note the tightly arranged stitching row of the sweatband.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I don't recall seeing such a great set of hats on sale at the same time here before.

Nik, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or pleased that most of your hats are a little large for me - I'd be very tempted otherwise.

That 5X Brent is my pick so far. Fantastic hat, but I was always a sucker for a nice Cav Edge!

+1...

What a great collection....... most are not my size but soooo tempting, beautiful hats NIK......

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hat #2 (1930s Panama Montecristi 1150 wpsi Optimo) is SOLD.

All other hats are still available.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
These are so nice. The Mojave VS taunts me, but for the ribbon color, and I don't want a project at that cost! ;) Now when hell freezes over and you want to get rid of your Mojave with greenish grey ribbon, look me up! :cool:

Plus by my [probably faulty] arithmetic, you've got 0.4cm over me. :)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the bump, Jeff.

For the record, I have a good selection of high-quality vintage grosgrain ribbon. If anyone is interested in changing the hatband on any of these hats, I can supply the material. Most of the ribbon is 19 ligne and/or 22 ligne in mission brown (a darker shade of brown), charcoal brown, charcoal, steel grey, silver grey. There's also black in 19 ligne and 12 ligne, and some colors (moss green, forest green).

Link to full res image of ribbons on a late 1940s/ early 1950s Stetson OR25 in silverbelly (not the tan variety):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75927425/FL/mission_charcbrown_charc_steel_silv.jpg

L to R, upper row:
mission brown
charcoal brown
charcoal

L to R, lower row:
new steel
silver
collage with charcoal brown atop mission brown, plus steel (L) & charcoal (R)

11 ligne is close to 1 inch, so the most common ribbon widths convert to:
12 L - approximately 1 "
16 L - just below 1 1/2"
19 L - just below 1 3/4"
22 L - just below 2 "

Conversion ligne to cm:
ligne - cm
16 - 3.6
17 - 3.8
18 - 4.05
19 - 4.3
20 - 4.5
21 - 4.7
22 - 4.95
23 - 5.2
24 - 5.4

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bump. Take another look especially at the Borsalino Natalsca and the Brent 5XB, they're fantastic hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou