Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing hat askew -- Do you need a different size?

Annixter

Practically Family
When a person or an article tells me, what is the "correct" and/or "incorrect" way to position my hat, I know I'm reading something or listening to someone that shouldn't be trusted.

I couldn't agree more. I don't believe there are "correct" or "incorrect" ways to dress, so long as one enjoys what he's doing. To clarify, I linked to that page more for a very general way for people who are interested to try different angles and see how they look. I don't mean to be prescriptive in any way. And you make a great point about a hat's practical use. I often readjust my fedora depending on the angle of wind, rain, sun, etc. In general, however, I've found that a side and back tilt looks best to me.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hats are much more relaxed and friendly with a tilt, and unless it's a hard one (derby, etc.) should easily accommodate a tilt in all directions if it's the right size. Here is one of my favorite hat-wearing mentors. Look at how it's tipped back, left, right... He really knew how to wear it with a rake!
View attachment 7100 View attachment 7101 View attachment 7102
I think the fellow in the color shot is actually James Arness, isn't it?

But you're right -- jaunty tilts all.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I have the feeling that photos of movie stars might have the hats tilted back some so that the man's face wasn't in shadow or obscured by the hat. What is the point of having a handsome fellow like Clark Gable in your movie if you hide his face with a hat?

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have the feeling that photos of movie stars might have the hats tilted back some so that the man's face wasn't in shadow or obscured by the hat. What is the point of having a handsome fellow like Clark Gable in your movie if you hide his face with a hat?
Heck, we still do this on stage, screen, and photo-shoots. It's very annoying for a hat wearer, but the end result works out fine. Hats worn normally mess with lighting and camera angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points