Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing your shirt collar over your A-2 collar

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I was looking at some vintage 50's rockabilly pictures and I noticed some guys wearing their shirt collar over their denim jacket collar, and it looked great. It gives it a whole different look, and it shows off your shirt collar which normally would be hidden. I just did the same thing with my LVC Type I jacket and a 40's khaki shirt and liked it a lot. You guys might want to try the same thing with your A-2 jacket, but it won't work with a collar stand. Just an idea.

The top picture here is an example:

http://www.rebelbeat.com/Cast.html

majormajor

One Too Many
20's/30's is a good look. Collars on the inside then...:D

fruitseller.jpg

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
We used to wear shirt collars on the outside of our jackets, and those were some big shirt collars. We were so cool in the 70's, while in high school.

IXL

One Too Many
I was looking at some vintage 50's rockabilly pictures and I noticed some guys wearing their shirt collar over their denim jacket collar, and it looked great. It gives it a whole different look, and it shows off your shirt collar which normally would be hidden. I just did the same thing with my LVC Type I jacket and a 40's khaki shirt and liked it a lot. You guys might want to try the same thing with your A-2 jacket, but it won't work with a collar stand. Just an idea.

The top picture here is an example:

http://www.rebelbeat.com/Cast.html

Great link! I've been listening to the rockabilly videos all morning (click on the top left video. When it ends there are plenty of selections). My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Peacoat

Bartender
Great link! I've been listening to the rockabilly videos all morning (click on the top left video. When it ends there are plenty of selections). My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Tell her you aren't nuts. Rockabilly is simply a 12 bar blues with a slightly different beat, and without the pronounced turn around. When she looks at it like that, she will see that it is a very classic musical form.

IXL

One Too Many
I told her just that. It probably would have been more believable had I not been wearing my shirt collar over my jacket at the time.....:)
I am, however, going to amaze a musically inclined friend of mine later today with this information!
Thanks.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about this one....the open collar is a cool and casual vintage look, but it works best with jackets with collars and lapels that lay flatter than what I've seen.

It could work with this jacket:
il_570xN.418358601_k5uq.jpg

but maybe not this jacket:
jacket_flying_a2.375.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

Might work with a Doniger A-2.

A2_Doniger.jpg

I'll know in about a month. I'll update.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I've seen many wartime images with the A-2 collar flipped up.
Also German soldiers in 1944-1945 had protocol for wearing their shirt collars over the tunic collar, similar to these other images being discussed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael