Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weather Proofing Goatskin

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I just bought another G1 in goatskin and was wondering since this will be a general ' Knock Around ' jacket, ( no patches ) should I just leave it be or put some kind of water proofing since Im certain the jacket might see some wet weather on occasions. I just dont want to coat to look like a prune if it gets wet and dries out again. Im certain that this subject has come up several times in the past but there might be a new product that works wonderfully that I havent heard about.

A buddy showed me a leather jacket with KIWI BRAND CLEAR SHOE POLISH / WAX that he uses for water protection and demonstrated it by pouring water on the sleeve and it simply beaded off like a fresh wax job on a car. I never thought of that ! Jacket looked great too with no wrinkles and looked fresh and crisp ! He applies the wax and brushes it like shining shoes.

TO TREAT OR NOT TO TREAT, THAT IS THE QUESTION...................................LOL !

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I would leave it. It's my understanding that goat is one of the most waterproof hides out there. Goat is hard enough to get patina and wear on as it is, I would just wear it, and let goat be goat!

Stand By

One Too Many
I'd put Renapur on it. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think that'll be the ticket you're after.

dan_t

Practically Family
Goat's seem to be ok on the side of hills when it rains. I can't recall reading about them shrinking or getting wrinkly, other than through old age.......

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I haven't treated one of my goats thus far (for the past three years) with anything and it has been fine.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Goatskin was chosen for the Navy jackets because of it waterproof nature. The top coat is much more water and salt resistant than horse or steer hide. If it's a new jacket then leave it, it'll be fine and with modern dyes be prettier water proof anyway.

If it's a old one, give it a coating of Renapur or to feed it up. See how it does in the rain then re-evaluate.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Yes no need to treat it until it shows signs of drying. Goatskin is very water resistant especially the chrome tanned variety.

pipvh

Practically Family
+1 for leaving it alone. No need to treat unless it's drying out. Goat is incredibly watertight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW