Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Morning Wear

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
'Gents, here is what I'm planning to wear to my wedding. In addition to what I'm wearing, I'm going to be wearing a blue flower boutonnière.

Let me know what you think, and what could be better/changed (I will have a fresh hair cut and a shave at the time of the wedding, of course):

20140804_150246.jpg
20140804_150137.jpg
2014080495150014.jpg

My thoughts already are - I will correct the trousers which need to be hemmed a little higher, and I know the waistcoat needs to be more form-fitting as well. I will also be wearing black shoes, not the brown ones I have on in the photo.

On a personal note, I will also be working out at the gym non-stop before the wedding ;) .

-Max

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Lookin' sharp!

Here are my suggestions:

• Replace that collar with a detachable starched wing collar of sufficient height.
  • Add a starched and ironed cotton handkerchief to your breast pocket.
  • Button your coat.
  • Perhaps it is just because of the gloves, but your shirt cuffs—which should be of the double [French] variety—need to extend about ¼" from the sleeve.
  • The Ascot you are wearing is of the 'day' variety—the sort worn under a shirt—and not of the dress; see if you can obtain another, or alter that one slightly so that the neckband is narrow. I imagine simply folding it and securing it discreetly would do the trick. Also, it takes practice, but the knot should look more like this:
    13963_171104587062_3141013_n.jpg
  • Consider adding some quality wool spats and a good walking stick to your outfit.
Otherwise, refer to the title line of this post.;)

Also, you may find the Morning Dress Guide to be of some help.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Here are my suggestions:

• Replace that collar with a detachable starched wing collar of sufficient height.
  • Add a starched and ironed cotton handkerchief to your breast pocket.
  • Button your coat.
  • Perhaps it is just because of the gloves, but your shirt cuffs—which should be of the double [French] variety—need to extend about ¼" from the sleeve.
  • The Ascot you are wearing is of the 'day' variety—the sort worn under a shirt—and not of the dress; see if you can obtain another, or alter that one slightly so that the neckband is narrow. I imagine simply folding it and securing it discreetly would do the trick. Also, it takes practice, but the knot should look more like this:
    View attachment 16264
  • Consider adding some quality wool spats and a good walking stick to your outfit.
Otherwise, refer to the title line of this post.;)

Also, you may find the Morning Dress Guide to be of some help.

FJ, thank you for the tips. I will address them one by one to clear up some possible photographic errors:

The collar is a detachable starched collar from Darcy. Perhaps I should find a taller one?

I was thinking I should add a pocket square, now I know I should. Thank you!

I shall button the coat!

They are indeed French cuffs (and I'm wearing 1920s vintage cufflinks, which can not be seen in these photos unfortunately), however I will have to double check on the length without gloves. The third photo shows a decent amount of cuff, but I'd like to double check, because you're absolutely right on the 1/4" to show.

I am wearing the longer formal ascot, but admittedly this was the first time I have tied and pinned one so it didn't come out as intended. I will not wear a pre-tied one, therefore I need to practice this with the above guide for sure, so thank you for the pointer!

I have a very nice pair of white spats, but perhaps gray would be more appropriate? Where is a good source for these? I also have a nice brown and silver walking stick, to which my fiancee said "over the top" when I grabbed it to take the photo. I may leave that one at home, or perhaps I'll "trade" her for the spats.

-Max

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Spats, &c. . . .

Well, you look like you're definitely on the right track then and didn't need too much help in the first place.;)

I have a pair of spats from the Fine and Dandy Shop. They were the only place I could find (besides Darcy, of course) that made the real McCoy and not some cheap costume piece.

[...]
I am wearing the longer formal ascot, but admittedly this was the first time I have tied and pinned one so it didn't come out as intended. I will not wear a pre-tied one, therefore I need to practice this with the above guide for sure, so thank you for the pointer!
[...]

Day cravats are always long enough, but the dead giveaway is the wide pleated part that goes around the neck. Dress ascots have a neckband that is only about an inch or so wide. Also, the day ones are sometimes too thin and that makes them harder to tie right to get the right look.

I hope I've been of some help to you.

Edward

Bartender
Definitely grey if you're going for spats; white was more of an evening thing, when they were worn, to the best of my knowledge, and wouldn't look right here. (As a rule of thumb, I regard it as best to match spats and gloves). Grey will look much more in keeping with morning dress.

Regarding the cane.... they're a nice accessory, though tbh I'd give it a miss for practical purposes. Not marired myself, but I've been involved in several wedding parties, and honestly on the day there will be so much going on and you'll be in so many places at once, the cane will only be something else you'll need to keep tabs on. Keep the hassle to a minimum.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Definitely grey if you're going for spats; white was more of an evening thing, when they were worn, to the best of my knowledge, and wouldn't look right here. (As a rule of thumb, I regard it as best to match spats and gloves). Grey will look much more in keeping with morning dress.

Regarding the cane.... they're a nice accessory, though tbh I'd give it a miss for practical purposes. Not marired myself, but I've been involved in several wedding parties, and honestly on the day there will be so much going on and you'll be in so many places at once, the cane will only be something else you'll need to keep tabs on. Keep the hassle to a minimum.

Agreed on the cane, I will probably wind up losing it somewhere during the day. As for the spats, I'd like to get a pair of grey ones at some point but I may skip them for the wedding.

And thank you F.J. for the Fine & Dandy Shop link, I have to go check out their store sometime soon!

-Max

Boinciel

New in Town
Here's my take on it (untailored and unpressed as of yet, the hems of the pants need to be let down and I need to find proper boots and a top hat). Of course, my own eventual wedding is so far off that it'll be ages before I have the chance to wear these...

morningdressinfrontofarosebush.JPG

The coat itself is from 1920, pants from the 1910s, and the vest from the late 1800s.

Last edited:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Gents,

I wound up going with a detached turn-down collar, tying the cravat with a loose four in hand knot. Regardless, my wife wins for looks hands down ;) Here's how we looked:

lowramowx2.jpg

Thanks for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy