Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Mav

A-List Customer
Marla said:
Mav, thanks for suggesting nut butter. I'm definitely going to try once I figure out the best brand to buy--there are so, so many!

No problem, Marla. With peanut butter, check the labels. Stuff labeled "low fat" is often high in sugar. Look for reduced sugar or "natural" varieties. Beyond that, it's all just ground up peanuts.Also, almond and hazelnut butters are good for a change of pace. If you're steadfastly against meat, this is probably the next best way of jacking protein intake. I have many good friends who follow the "meat is murder" credo who live on large amounts of nut butters and vegetable juice for their nutrition, with a certain amount of success. No judgment in that; it works well enough for them, and makes them comfortable in their ethical beliefs. For me, I prefer about half a pound of well- marbled beef grilled over mesquite, but I'm a barbarian.
Just get that protein in you.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Marla said:
Mav, thanks for suggesting nut butter. I'm definitely going to try once I figure out the best brand to buy--there are so, so many!

See if you can get some ABC - almond, brazil & cashewnut butter. It's absolutely delicious and has some slightly more varied nutrients than a straight peanut butter. You usually get it from the health food store & the ones I have seen are no added sugar and no added salt.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Marla said:
I'd really like to try the low-carb/high protein diet, but want to remain a vegetarian. I've already reduced my intake of bread and fruit. Does anyone have other tips/suggestions/thoughts on this?

*waves* I did this as a vegan for health reasons, (I got the Atkins books at the time, although surfice to say I don't endorse Atkins because I truly believe we need to change our eating habits not crash diet jmo :rolleyes: ) I had PCOS and after reading up what I needed to do without going on drugs I switched to vegan, It was harrrrddd....but it worked and after a year I was 'cured'. :p

High protein veggie diet is much easier, although it's no walk in the park so you ave my sympathies!! :D

Do you like Mushrooms? (I don't :( ) Eggs are a great source, organic and free range naturally.

Beans? (aduki, quinoa etc) Lentils? The Gillian McKeith recipes are really good for nutritious healthy food, not full of carbs. Tofu? Tempeh? Nuts?

Found this link for you

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/Vegetarian_Low_Carb_Resources.htm

I'm not a fan of going into ketosis and the other stuff that Atkins and other crash diets prescribe, because I feel like you need to change the way you think and feel about food. Eat seasonally, eat what your body needs not what you want because of sugar cravings, reduce portion size (your stomach will shrink and it will take less to keep you full) and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day.

My Mum's lost over a stone and a half on WW and other friends have lost 5+ but I don't particularly like that either, but then I'm not 'obese' so maybe the control and regimented way works better for them.

For me reading 'french women don't get fat' was a lightbulb moment, it didn't really tell me anythink new, but I think it was a bit like a self help book in that it reaffirmed and motivated me to be a sexy Parisian who isn't greedy. ;)

Clark

New in Town
Hey everyone. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, as you say in America :p

I was a squishy dumpling in school. I got fat unintentionally because I didn't know enough about food and what I was doing to my body. But over the years since I left school, I've lost and kept all my surplus weight away. My brother's a professional athlete with a very open mind and we share a lot of our diet/exercise knowledge so here's what I would say:

The main thing is: By far the best way to lose weight is to exercise. Weight loss and gain is ultimately about calories consumed vs. calories spent. So there's two ways to achieve weight loss - cut the calories consumed or increase the calories burned. The latter (exercise) seems like the harder choice, but in my experience it is far more pleasant and rewarding. It has so many advantages: You can still eat when you're hungry, your resting metabolism will increase dramatically (amount of calories you convert at rest), you will actually feel hungry for foods with nutritional value, rather than saturated fats etc, you feel good (dieting alone, I find myself craving and depressed).

So yeah, exercise: You don't have to blow smoke - just moderate intensity (enough to make you sweat) for about 45 mins, (or whatever you can reasonably manage if you're just starting out). Jogging or using an equivalent machine at the gym. Don't be scared of gyms either. I was once, and I know so many people who have put off getting into shape for years because they feel anxious about the gym. But I've actually always found gyms to be very friendly, safe feeling places. Everyone is in there with a common goal, and I've never experienced bad vibes, no matter what shape I am. You see the fattest people in the gym and I can honestly say, the attitude is overwhelmingly one of mutual respect for being there at all, trying to improve. Anyway as I was saying, about 45 mins of work in the gym, 5 days a week will transform your body quickly.

Diet-wise, cutting back on carbohydrates is good, but NOT in an extreme way (Atkins diet). Minimise them mainly in the evening. It's a huge strain on your system to deny carbohydrates completely: Complex carbohydrates like oats in the morning are a very good idea. It gets your metabolism going and the calories are broken down slowly, in a way that your body can use them. Swiss muesli is a bit nicer than plain oats, with some raisins or something.

Generally, dieting alone can turn into a science that it becomes a headache and a depressing, constricting way of life. If you do exercise, it gives you much more margin for error, and if you eat fairly sensibly, you will make great progress. Metabolically, you become much more like those lucky people who throw whatever they like down their gullet without noticing any difference.

Hope that's not too didactic :rolleyes:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mav, I don't think you're coming across as that at all- and I doubt anyone else thinks so. It's great to have everyone's views on the matter.

And, as always, I say to each their own, in the 'meat is necessary' vs. 'meat is not necessary' debate. A lot of vegetarians consume fish and/or milk/milk products, so they are getting animal protein in that manner.

With most studies, they are always countered with different evidence from the opposite side - there is no final word on this debate. You won't find a study that hasn't had a follow up study claiming the exact opposite. In the end, it comes down to choice and what makes your body work and feel good. For me, that means having meat in my diet.

X
BD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Black Dahlia said:
With most studies, they are always countered with different evidence from the opposite side - there is no final word on this debate. You won't find a study that hasn't had a follow up study claiming the exact opposite. In the end, it comes down to choice and what makes your body work and feel good. For me, that means having meat in my diet.

QFT.

Where studies are concerned, you need to look at them with a critical eye. How does a given study define low-fat, low-carb, portion control, etc.? How long did the study last? Were the subjects in a controlled setting, did they record their food, or were they just counseled on what to eat? How were drop-outs accounted for? Was the study actually done on humans? Was it an observational study (which doesn't show causes, just correlations)? Who funded it? Does the stated conclusion actually match the results? Did they start the experiment with a specific end in mind? Most importantly to me, does the study square with my own observations and make sense from an evolutionary standpoint?

It also really helps to know some science behind digestion and hormones. Not all of it is common sense; e.g., the calories-in, calories-out theory is popular, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

If you look at studies and listen to experts without really thinking about whether what they're saying makes sense, you're at the mercy of whatever doctor or guru strikes your fancy. They may have prejudices or ideologies they may or may not announce.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ada Vice said:
I'm not a fan of going into ketosis and the other stuff that Atkins and other crash diets prescribe, because I feel like you need to change the way you think and feel about food. Eat seasonally, eat what your body needs not what you want because of sugar cravings, reduce portion size (your stomach will shrink and it will take less to keep you full) and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day.

For me reading 'french women don't get fat' was a lightbulb moment, it didn't really tell me anythink new, but I think it was a bit like a self help book in that it reaffirmed and motivated me to be a sexy Parisian who isn't greedy. ;)

A crash diet involves severe calorie and nutrient restriction--it's basically a short-term starvation diet, like those I noted in post 182. Atkins specifically says not to go hungry or count calories.

The easiest way to avoid sugar cravings is to avoid sugar spikes in the first place, and the only way to do that, short of taking a shot of insulin, is to avoid starch and sugar.

Re: French women, I just finished Julia Child's book on her years in France, where she learned to cook. I don't know the macronutrient balances of the typical diet, but it seemed to mostly involve a lot of red meat (including organ meat), some vegetables, fish (esp. in Marsaille), and bread made of less-refined flour than what was typically used in the U.S.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
A crash diet involves severe calorie and nutrient restriction--it's basically a short-term starvation diet, like those I noted in post 182. Atkins specifically says not to go hungry or count calories.

The easiest way to avoid sugar cravings is to avoid sugar spikes in the first place, and the only way to do that, short of taking a shot of insulin, is to avoid starch and sugar.

Re: French women, I just finished Julia Child's book on her years in France, where she learned to cook. I don't know the macronutrient balances of the typical diet, but it seemed to mostly involve a lot of red meat (including organ meat), some vegetables, fish (esp. in Marsaille), and bread made of less-refined flour than what was typically used in the U.S.

No, Atkins is a crash diet and it is described as so. :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/atkins-the-crash-diet-501118.html

or to quote wiki

A crash diet is a diet which is extreme in its nutritional deprivations,

with Atkins that's carbs....

I think removing sugar completely from your diet is difficult for most, and will set a lot of people up for faliure. :(

And I wasn't talking about Julia Child I was talking about the book by Mireille Guiliano, but yes avoid bread, eat more meat and veg, shockingly 'new and different' stuff in order to lose weight! ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
This is exactly what I was talking about regarding reading critically and having some background knowledge. The word "crash" in the Independent headline isn't even in the article; the word "nutrient" appears only in a paragraph about the Zone diet. The headline doesn't change the definition of "crash diet" or the diet itself. And given the article's slant (e.g., "worshipped at the Temple of Atkins"), it belongs in the op-ed section.

Technically, your body doesn't need carbohydrates, which are composed of sugar. There are people (like the oft-cited Inuit) who live almost entirely on meat. So did the Cro-Magnons, who were anatomically modern humans. Your liver can make all the blood glucose you need. That may not be the optimal diet, or a diet most people can stay on, but it isn't the same as, say, protein, fat, or vitamin deprivation.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
How is everyone making out re losing weight? I'm eating well, making sure I eat all three meals of the day and snacks. Like many, sometimes I'm too stressed to eat..or forget. :( So far I feel good, but it's too soon to tell re weight loss. Ideally, I'd like to loose 25-30 lbs. We shall see! It's possible for me to do, I just need to keep at it. Since about 2002, I've lost a total of 90 lbs...what's 25-30 more? *lol*
X
BD

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia said:
How is everyone making out re losing weight? I'm eating well, making sure I eat all three meals of the day and snacks. Like many, sometimes I'm too stressed to eat..or forget. :( So far I feel good, but it's too soon to tell re weight loss. Ideally, I'd like to loose 25-30 lbs. We shall see! It's possible for me to do, I just need to keep at it. Since about 2002, I've lost a total of 90 lbs...what's 25-30 more? *lol*
X
BD

I've done half a stone in about 3-4 weeks without feeling like I'm missing out, food is a pleasure!! :D But part of that is the same too stressed to eat stuff...heartbreak diet all that crazy emotion stuff.

90 lbs is amazing!:eek: :eusa_clap

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
I've done half a stone in about 3-4 weeks without feeling like I'm missing out, food is a pleasure!! :D But part of that is the same too stressed to eat stuff...heartbreak diet all that crazy emotion stuff.

90 lbs is amazing!:eek: :eusa_clap

You're doing well Ada. :) I shall weigh in next week, or the week after. One week isn't enough to really tell. Food definitely is a pleasure...I'm already longing for lunch and it's only 11 a.m. here!

Yup, stress, heartbreak, etc...it'll do it!

Yes, I used to be a lot bigger many years ago. Weight Watchers helped me loose all of that. I found it easier to loose weight when larger, than now. The body is a funny thing!

Went to do a bit of clothes shopping at lunch, looking for some work coordinates to go with some vintage pieces I have. How depressing...nothing fit in my size (10-12). *sighs* Yup..it's the clothes...not me! *lol*

X
BD

TexasTawny001

New in Town
I was curious... What kind of 'diets' did women use to lose weight in the 40s & 50s (or before)? How did they loose weight?

What about the 'normal' diet & foods of people during the time? What was the normal foods eaten?

Also what did ladies do for exercise? What did they wear to exercise?! I know normal house work took much more physical work then... Just curious!

Marla

A-List Customer
Ada Vice said:
*waves* I did this as a vegan for health reasons, (I got the Atkins books at the time, although surfice to say I don't endorse Atkins because I truly believe we need to change our eating habits not crash diet jmo :rolleyes: ) I had PCOS and after reading up what I needed to do without going on drugs I switched to vegan, It was harrrrddd....but it worked and after a year I was 'cured'. :p

High protein veggie diet is much easier, although it's no walk in the park so you ave my sympathies!! :D

Do you like Mushrooms? (I don't :( ) Eggs are a great source, organic and free range naturally.

Beans? (aduki, quinoa etc) Lentils? The Gillian McKeith recipes are really good for nutritious healthy food, not full of carbs. Tofu? Tempeh? Nuts?

Found this link for you

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/Vegetarian_Low_Carb_Resources.htm

My Mum's lost over a stone and a half on WW and other friends have lost 5+ but I don't particularly like that either, but then I'm not 'obese' so maybe the control and regimented way works better for them.

My sincerest thanks for the great link--it's exactly what I've been looking for. I haven't been able to quit being vegan completely because most of the vegan alternatives (butter, milk, bread) taste better to me than their animal-derived counterparts. So far the vegetarian things I've been eating are cheese and nut butter, but that's it. Oh, and tofu, of course.

TexasTawny001

New in Town
What I found

TexasTawny001 said:
I was curious... What kind of 'diets' did women use to lose weight in the 40s & 50s (or before)? How did they loose weight?

What about the 'normal' diet & foods of people during the time? What was the normal foods eaten?

Also what did ladies do for exercise? What did they wear to exercise?! I know normal house work took much more physical work then... Just curious!

Ok Ladies for anyone else who is interested I just did a blog post on the typical diet of ladies during WWI & WWII.

Basically it's looks to be rather low carb & heavy on fruits & veggies grown in Victory Gardens.

Rationing was the name of the game!!

Foods like sugar, eggs, meat, butter, coffee & tea were all rationed. This was a time long before convience foods & the microwave.

Exercise was your war job, tending to children, tedious housework, & walking or riding a bike. Gas was rationed to 4gal per week!

I'm planning on attempting a '1940s diet'

*Hope this helps*

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine also did a wartime diet a few years ago; there's a thread on it somewhere.

I don't remember exactly what the diet was, but if it's low-calorie, pretty much everybody goes off of those sooner or later.

Rationing wasn't necessarily done according to Hoyle. My father remembers his parents trading beef for gas stamps. I'm sure people in rural areas were poaching game, too.

Some basic foods have changed since the 40s. Canned vegetables were popular. Other than home-grown green beans, I don't think my mother ever served a fresh vegetable other than potatoes--and this was in the 70s and 80s. Even wheat is not what it was in the 40s:

In the 1980s, thousands of new wheat strains arose from hybridization experiments, many of them conducted in Mexico. Then, in the late 1980s, genetic engineering quietly got underway in which geneticists inserted or deleted single genes, mostly designed to generate specific characteristics, such as height, yield per acre, drought resistance, but especially resistance to various pesticides and weed killers. The fruits of these efforts were introduced into the market in 1994. Most of the genetically modified foods were thought to be only minor modifications of the unmodified original and thus no safety testing in animals or humans was conducted.

We now have many thousands of wheat strains that are different in important ways from original emmer, einkorn, and Triticum aestivum wheat. Interestingly, it has been suggested that einkorn wheat fails to provoke the same immune response characteristic of celiac disease provoked by modern wheat gluten, suggesting a different amino acid structure in gluten proteins. Another difference: Emmer wheat is up to 40% protein, compared to around 12% protein for modern wheat.

Fats--similar story. I don't even know where to get real lard.

Before the 50s, conventional wisdom was that starch and sugar put on weight. Ancel Keys (the one who did the starvation experiment) came out with the lipid hypothesis in the 50s.

ETA: I don't say any of this to discourage you--it's just information for the sake of being realistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo