Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Next week you will be back at school won't you? Being back in that routine is usually a good thing for fewer snacks!

I went to school with a lot of girls with eating disorders and it makes me very sad and a bit anxious to hear about a beautiful young girl like you getting worried about absolutely nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mav said:
Let's see if some male input helps. You ladies have a really strange modern standard of female beauty to contend with. Personally, I've never really dug the anorexic look, and I'm guessing that most of you who think you need to lose some weight probably don't. Just sayin'.
Oh...and not that there was anything wrong with your old avatar pic, but the new one is knocked-out purty.

I like to imagine that most of us ladies on here, who would like to lose some weight, aren't trying to achieve the anorexic standard of 'beauty.' I certainly hope not. I think it's more about being happy with your size, curves and all. If you've put on a bit...well, of course you want to shed it.

X
BD

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Dr. George Mann was a director of the Framingham Heart Program, a large, long-term study of diet and heart disease.

I just wanted to touch on a couple of things, because clearly we could go on citing and refuting studies for as long as we can find them. I thought Framingham sounded vaguely familiar; after doing a bit of looking around, I discovered why: William Castelli, who became the director of the study in 1979, advocates a low fat, plant-based diet. Which leads into my next point...

I've only heard of Dr. Ornish. Dr. William Davis wrote about his experience with the Ornish diet here. In a nutshell, he gained 31 pounds and became diabetic, even while exercisin.

I found this really interesting, and proof that there is no one diet that works for everyone. It sounds like Dr. Davis had a very bad experience with the Ornish diet, but there are obviously people who had resounding success with the plan. I think the one thing we can agree on (besides the fact that refined flour and sugars, as well as processed foods, should be avoided) is that there is not a single diet that can be recommended across the board to every person. There are some people who simply cannot tolerate certain types of food; obviously they would suffer on a diet that others who tolerate those foods would thrive on. Through your research and personal experience, you've concluded that a low-carb diet is right for you; from my research and personal experience, I've concluded just the opposite! (Giving up dairy, for example, is one of the best things I've ever done.) It's a testament to the decorum of the Fedora Lounge that two people could have such diametrically opposing views and still have a polite, civil discussion. Now I have to get away from the computer for a while and do some laundry. :)

Marla

A-List Customer
I'd really like to try the low-carb/high protein diet, but want to remain a vegetarian. I've already reduced my intake of bread and fruit. Does anyone have other tips/suggestions/thoughts on this?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I can't even imagine eating a low-carb diet. I pretty much live on bread and its many toppings/fillings - mainly butter, cheese, ham, marmite. I also eat a lot of high-fat, fresh filled pasta with bought sauces, and quiches. However I don't eat very much of these things, and rarely snack. I've been so depressed lately and it's put me right off food and especially killed my sweet tooth - I can't really stomach cakes any more! However I also can't face cooking properly (hence the bread and 2-minute pasta meals). This means a big shortage of fresh fruit and veg in my diet. I'm trying to remedy this by drinking smoothies and having small side salads with my pasta. But I have been exercising and am currently at my lowest weight (bar a couple of months in 2008 when I lost a stone for no apparent reason... it went back on) since I was a young teenager (before I went on that evil pill brand) ... actually quite like my figure at the moment!

I do not advocate depression as a weight loss tool though ;) and I'm sure it'll go back on again too.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I agree

Mav said:
Let's see if some male input helps. You ladies have a really strange modern standard of female beauty to contend with. Personally, I've never really dug the anorexic look, and I'm guessing that most of you who think you need to lose some weight probably don't. Just sayin'.
Oh...and not that there was anything wrong with your old avatar pic, but the new one is knocked-out purty.

Both Black Dahlia new avatar pics are stunning!!!

I know though that we all feel best when we feel we are at that perfect weight but unless you are in a health risk category don't beat yourselves up too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Having a little extra weight isn't unhealthy. But if a person wants that 10-pound vanity weight loss, I can understand--as long as it's done without compromising good health.

Marla

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I can't even imagine eating a low-carb diet. I pretty much live on bread and its many toppings/fillings - mainly butter, cheese, ham, marmite. I also eat a lot of high-fat, fresh filled pasta with bought sauces, and quiches. However I don't eat very much of these things, and rarely snack.

Bread is my staple food too, and I can't imagine ever giving it up completely. The storybook prisoner's diet of bread, butter, and water would suit me just fine, if only I could have a little tea, too.;) However, after being a raw-foodist-vegan for two years my body is almost-dangerously protein deficient, so I'm reverting to being a vegetarian and am trying to eat tofu everyday. Not to mention, cheese is divine and unmatched in taste by soy substitutes. :)

Mav

A-List Customer
Marla said:
Bread is my staple food too, and I can't imagine ever giving it up completely. The storybook prisoner's diet of bread, butter, and water would suit me just fine, if only I could have a little tea, too.;) However, after being a raw-foodist-vegan for two years my body is almost-dangerously protein deficient, so I'm reverting to being a vegetarian and am trying to eat tofu everyday. Not to mention, cheese is divine and unmatched in taste by soy substitutes. :)
Look at nut butters (nobody has time to chew whole nuts enough to make them fully digestible) for proteins. Soy is one of the most processed and genetically manipulated foods there are, tofu being the worst form of it.
You're missing out on some necessary nutrients by not eating animal tissue proteins, but that's often a moral choice (one I don't agree with, but no big deal. YMMV, and all that). Paisley made a mention of a study concluding that a lack of proteins can cause psychological unbalance. That speaks directly to a lack of meat in the diet, but some of that is whackjob esoteric stuff, and beyond the discussion, though I'm somewhat versed in it. Suffice to say, there are enzymes in animal proteins that are necessary for some higher level brain function,and....other things.
And cheese, I agree, is tasty stuff. Have you tried making your own fresh mozzarella yet? Adds a whole new dimension to cheese- eating and protein intake. Fresh mozzie works extremely well in salads, particularly with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Well..day one of eating healthier and using portion control. So far, so good. ;0 I hardly ever over-eat, and am very in tune to when I'm full. However, now I'm making a concentrated effort to eat less, smaller portions, to see if I'm still satisfied and to loose weight. We'll see how it goes! It's great to have a little support group on here.

Thanks Land-O-LakesGal! ;0

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mav said:
Soy is one of the most processed and genetically manipulated foods there are, tofu being the worst form of it.

Not to mention the high levels of estrogen in it...men especially shouldn't consume a lot of Soy. (of course there are two sides to this story, and apparently evidence for both sides). Soy also can contribute to hair loss (and is an ingredient in many shaving creams and hair removal lotions).

As with anything modified one has to be careful. Don't get me started on MSG, and aspartame...both of which I have had personal and scary health issues with.

X
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Marla said:
I'd really like to try the low-carb/high protein diet, but want to remain a vegetarian. I've already reduced my intake of bread and fruit. Does anyone have other tips/suggestions/thoughts on this?

Hi Marla, I'm no expert, but I think you'll have a very hard time achieving a low-carb/high protein diet as a vegetarian. Do you mean just consuming less complex carbs such as: breads, pastas, beans, potatoes, bran, rice, and cereals? That still would be tough as a vegetarian because I imagine you eat beans, lentils and the like as your protein and rice, millet, quinoa as your carbs? My goodness you'd be starving with so much elimination!

Almost every food has carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables too of course. I imagine most low/no carb diets focus on restricting complex carbs and simple carbs?

X
BD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Marla said:

Every morning, I make a protein shake with rice protein powder and either nut butter or unsweetened coconut. The rice protein powder doesn't have any thickener in it, so I use xanthan gum. It's expensive by the bag, but it's all fiber and a little goes a very long way (1/2 teaspoon per shake). Eggs are another good protein source.

As far as I know, veg protein sources don't have much iron or zinc, and the iron they contain is harder for your body to absorb. Even I need to take an iron and zinc pill--and I'm a meat eater.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Black Dahlia said:
Almost every food has carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables too of course. I imagine most low/no carb diets focus on restricting complex carbs and simple carbs?

X
BD

The low-carbers I'm familiar with tend to look at net carbs: total carb minus fiber, since fiber is indigestible by humans. Complex carbs are sugar molecules that are connected. It takes longer for them to break down, but they do turn into sugar in your gut.

Fruits except avacadoes, olives and maybe a few others are all or mostly sugar. Potatoes are mostly starch. Leafy greens are mostly fiber. Even on the first week of Atkins, you can have one or two small salads a day, and most people can handle that level of carb.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
World War II Starvation Diets of Today

Mav said:
Paisley made a mention of a study concluding that a lack of proteins can cause psychological unbalance. That speaks directly to a lack of meat in the diet, but some of that is whackjob esoteric stuff, and beyond the discussion, though I'm somewhat versed in it.

It was Ancel Keyes's starvation study in the 1940s. To quote from Eades's blog again,

The men in this study consumed macronutrients in the following amounts daily: protein 100 gm, fat 30 gm, and carbohydrate 225 gm. If you express these intakes as percentages, you come up with 25.5% protein, 17.2% fat and 57.3% carbohydrate.

Average energy intake of the subjects in the experiment: 1570 calories per day
. (emphasis mine)​

The men also had to work. The experiment was designed to simulate conditions in famine areas of Europe. Click here to see a before and after photo of one of the subjects. (This man chopped off a few fingers from his left hand towards the end of the experiment; however, I don't think the other subjects harmed themselves.) Keep in mind the men in this experiment were "locked down," so to speak.

Let's compare the WWII starvation diet to some popular diets of today:

Jenny Craig:

Nutritionally, they reflect the 2005 federal guidelines and USDA food pyramid, and contain 50% to 60% carbohydrate, 20% to 25% protein, and 20% to 25% fat.​

The article also mentions "tiny portions" and "physical activity."

Nutrisystem:

Women follow a 1,200-calorie plan and men are allowed 1,500 calories per day....The diet is made up of 55% carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 20% fat....Exercise is recommended.​

LA Weight Loss:

The LA Weight Loss Centers plan is in line with national recommendations of approximately 50%-55% carbohydrates, 25%-30% protein, and 20%-25% fat. Emphasis is on moderation and portion control.

Here's a sample meal plan for a 1,500-calorie diet...​

Dr. Andrew Weil:

Eat less, exercise more....Carbohydrates...50-60% of your calories...Fats up to 30%...Protein...should be limited to 10-20%.​

Readers, draw your own conclusions.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
For the past 2 months I've been travelling North America & I thought I would put weight on.... Well the exact opposite has happened, Ive lost 20 pounds. I put it down to lots and lots of walking, avoiding fast food outlets & not eating everything on my plate (honestly, serving sizes in the US are ridiculously large, I would buy starters to eat as mains & couldn't finish those either).

So forget low carb versus low fat, I recommend world travel as a weight loss program!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Mav said:
You're missing out on some necessary nutrients by not eating animal tissue proteins...Suffice to say, there are enzymes in animal proteins that are necessary for some higher level brain function,and....other things.

Apologies to everyone for veering :eek:fftopic:, but do you have any references to scientific studies that back up these claims? I have yet to see any modern, creditable source state that meat is a necessity for human health.

Marla

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Look at nut butters (nobody has time to chew whole nuts enough to make them fully digestible) for proteins. Soy is one of the most processed and genetically manipulated foods there are, tofu being the worst form of it.
You're missing out on some necessary nutrients by not eating animal tissue proteins, but that's often a moral choice (one I don't agree with, but no big deal. YMMV, and all that). Paisley made a mention of a study concluding that a lack of proteins can cause psychological unbalance. That speaks directly to a lack of meat in the diet, but some of that is whackjob esoteric stuff, and beyond the discussion, though I'm somewhat versed in it. Suffice to say, there are enzymes in animal proteins that are necessary for some higher level brain function,and....other things.
And cheese, I agree, is tasty stuff. Have you tried making your own fresh mozzarella yet? Adds a whole new dimension to cheese- eating and protein intake. Fresh mozzie works extremely well in salads, particularly with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing.

Mav, thanks for suggesting nut butter. I'm definitely going to try once I figure out the best brand to buy--there are so, so many! Concerning animal protein vs. vegetable protein: I'm aware that veg. protein may be less beneficial, but I'll take the chance because vegetarianism is (morally) important to me. I'll head your warning about soy though, Black Dahlia, but I think I will be fine since it's the only processed food I eat.

As for the homemade mozarella--I've never even had any, much less made it! My culinary skills are nowhere near that advanced.

My dietary goal, and my reason for giving up being a vegan, is to introduce more variety into my diet--eating more vegetables, cheese, and protein in general.

Mav

A-List Customer
Lusti Weather said:
Apologies to everyone for veering :eek:fftopic:, but do you have any references to scientific studies that back up these claims? I have yet to see any modern, creditable source state that meat is a necessity for human health.

Due to the nature of those "other things," no, you won't see a published study, as such. It's known and has been studied and used within the community it affects most for years, if not centuries. It has been arrived at through observation, experimentation and experience rather than theorizing. In fact, none of us can give a scientific explanation, other than "it works." If something works consistently, it's valid. Such is the basis of real science.
After whipping off a quick response to Marla, I'm jumping out of this thread, ladies. I'm starting to sound like a self- appointed internet expert, and that was not my intent. Just trying to share some meat- life experience.
Carry on, and bring up your protein intake levels. It's actually important, in the greater scheme of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo