Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
I follow the French model; restraint, no 'bad' foods and balance. If I have a 'fat' day then I balance it out the next. lol

This approach works for me too! I tend to follow the 80/20 rule - eat well 80% of the time and you can have some treats for the other 20%. I had a baby five months ago and through exercising gently throughout the pregnancy and eating well I only gained one and a half stone. I lost this pretty quickly afterwards by getting out walking and cutting down on carbs and doing things like taking the stairs instead of the lift/escalator. I cook pretty much every day from scratch which helps immensely with keeping trim and if I want a treat I go to the bakery and get something small - I don't like cakes that are in packets - I try to avoid processed foods if I can.

My vice is red wine.....especially a nice Pinot Noir - still everything in moderation I say! ;)

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Wow love Bitchcakes blog, she's right about the exercise thing really helping with weight loss, it's partly due to endorphins I think. ;)

She has some great vegan recipes as well, I used to be vegan, not sure I could go back to that, I need real milk in my coffee and tea. lol

I really, really, really, really, really want her bike!!!

It's not rocket science is it Miss Golightly? :D You do have to be quite strong about not giving in and always remember why exactly you're doing this. Long term I think once your eating habits have changed it's so much easier. I hardly eat desserts at home, but when i used to live at home my Mum used to say dinner wasn't complete without one, and the portion sizes eeek!! My stomach must have stretched so much to fit all that food in.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Mav, Betty, Paisley

I am with you all on the low-carb. I've been a follwer of the Primal Blue print/ paleo diet for a year and 1/2 now-as it appeals to my interest in paleoanthropology. BUT- I've put on tonnes of weight- it's because I'm not a fan of meat or fat (I don't eat fish) and I'm a total carb-oholic.. so I can stand low carb for so long and then I binge bing-tiem (my sister does too). I really need to get this under control - not only as the wieight is making me really depressed but also the damage that carbs can do to your body- increasing stress on your body and makeing you age quicker for example- any tips on staying off the carbs?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
It's not rocket science is it Miss Golightly? :D You do have to be quite strong about not giving in and always remember why exactly you're doing this. Long term I think once your eating habits have changed it's so much easier. I hardly eat desserts at home, but when i used to live at home my Mum used to say dinner wasn't complete without one, and the portion sizes eeek!! My stomach must have stretched so much to fit all that food in.

You're right - it's all common sense really but you also must have some discipline. That's funny what you said about when you were living at home and the portion sizes - I used to eat so much at home (HUGE portions!!!!) but when I returned home after a few years of travelling I decided to revamp my diet - so anyway I was living back home again and told my Mum exactly what I wanted to eat and fair play to her she accomodated me but now I'm living with my husband and I'm in charge of portion size I'm finding it much more difficult - particularly when I make a bit extra of something and fancy seconds!!!!!!!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Tishkaminx said:
Mav, Betty, Paisley

I am with you all on the low-carb. I've been a follwer of the Primal Blue print/ paleo diet for a year and 1/2 now-as it appeals to my interest in paleoanthropology. BUT- I've put on tonnes of weight- it's because I'm not a fan of meat or fat (I don't eat fish) and I'm a total carb-oholic.. so I can stand low carb for so long and then I binge bing-tiem (my sister does too). I really need to get this under control - not only as the wieight is making me really depressed but also the damage that carbs can do to your body- increasing stress on your body and makeing you age quicker for example- any tips on staying off the carbs?

I'm avoiding wheat these days. I too was a carb-oholic! Making a list of all my wheaty faves and finding wheat free replacements really helped me. Instead of peanut butter toast, I now have peanut butter with an apple. Instead of honey nut cheerios, I have hot flax (or quinoa) cereal with fruits. If I already know what to substitute it makes it that much more easier when I start to reach for my old favourites.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Tishkamix is that like the caveman diet? A few friends are on that and say good things about it! :eusa_clap

My answer to the carbs question is not to have any in the hous and to try and satisfy your cravings with nuts and dried fruit when you feel them come on, that or a glass of water!! They'll go eventually and you'll wonder why you used to be so mad about them, well until you have some hot buttered toast :eek:

Miss Golightly said:
You're right - it's all common sense really but you also must have some discipline. That's funny what you said about when you were living at home and the portion sizes - I used to eat so much at home (HUGE portions!!!!) but when I returned home after a few years of travelling I decided to revamp my diet - so anyway I was living back home again and told my Mum exactly what I wanted to eat and fair play to her she accomodated me but now I'm living with my husband and I'm in charge of portion size I'm finding it much more difficult - particularly when I make a bit extra of something and fancy seconds!!!!!!!

I don't to belittle it but I have never found losing weight hard because I'm quite disciplined and put pressure on myself. What works for me may not for everyone.

Yeh espcially when it says 'serves 4' when really it serves 3 and you can't leave the rest in the pan going dry can you? Nom! :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tishkaminx said:
Mav, Betty, Paisley

The paleo diet (caveman diet) may be the best diet there is, since it's our natural diet. I've read Brian Fagan's book on the Ice Age--any others you'd recommend?

You make a good point: you can put on weight with natural foods like fruit.

The one big thing that motivates me to limit carbs is the fact that if I overeat them, I get walloped with a bad case of acid reflux within half an hour. I got rid of almost all the high-carb food at my house several months ago, and finally had to get rid of the jar of nuts. They do have carbs, they do add up, and it was just too easy to grab a handful.

Atkins said in his original book in 1972 that if you feel like bingeing, go ahead and binge on non-carb food like leftover chicken, cheese, etc. I've done this a few times (especially after giving blood--I ate two big lunches at one sitting) and had no regrets.

Some people like substitutes for high-carb food, but I generally prefer real meat, cheese, eggs, veg, etc. to low-carb whatever, diet sodas and pan-fried kelp in place of chips being the exceptions.

Re: not enjoying meat, is it possible you'd enjoy it if it were prepared differently? My mom cooked meat until it was like shoe leather. I learned to cook good meat dishes by reading cookbooks by Nick Stellino, Lidia Bastianich and the Culinary Institute of America.

Mav

A-List Customer
Tishkaminx said:
I'm a total carb-oholic.. so I can stand low carb for so long and then I binge bing-tiem (my sister does too).
Yeah, I think everyone has this issue to a degree. For some reason, it seems to affect the ladies worse, although I've known a few men with it.
My wife has a way of dealing with this. Meals around here consist, for me, of about 4 to 6 oz. of protein and the same of complex carbs, usually a green vegetable. My wife reduces the complex carbs by half, and adds 2- 3 oz. of simple carbs. It doesn't reduce the carb craving entirely, but it takes the edge off. It also fools the body into believing it has plenty of food available, and keeps it from driving you into a major carb- foraging scenario.
Unfortunately, you still need some self- discipline. It helps when you understand that the human body is an extremely ancient, very efficient survival machine that is now thrust into conditions it wasn't really designed for.
And, never beat yourself up for blowing a diet. It's a day- by- day thing. Do better tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 12480

what do you do, if, you don't seem to have any willpower, and you *always* will do better tomorrow. aka, me. :(

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Not to off-track the real hardcore diet talk but would someone mind posting a day's mealplan for the paleo/caveman diet? I'm visualizing breakfast: eggs lunch: salad dinner: steak but is that right?

I've fallen into a rut of cooking and its not all terribly brilliant things. How creative can you be on paleo without breaking the budget on fruit and meat? :(

I need to get my husband and I eating healthier but without carbs to stretch it seems so expensive?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Viola, I'm not a paleo eater, but I'm only spending $13 a month more on groceries than I was before I started a low-carb diet. (Fat is filling.) The Primal Blueprint Cookbook has dozens of recipes you could have any time of the day--eggs or carbs for breakfast is just convention.

As for carb cravings, even diabetics struggle with them--and their stakes are awfully high.

It helps me to visit low-carb blogs; having a community makes me feel like what I'm doing is normal.

Annie, I didn't have any willpower when it came to cookies and brownies. I could eat a box of cookies at one sitting. But with low-carb food, it's easier for me to just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. (YMMV, of course.) My mom is diabetic and lives in the equivalent of a crack house (my dad constantly pushes sweets at her--nice guy). And even she's broken some lifelong habits of eating a starchy diet...but I'm after her every day.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am definitely on the high carb diet. I eat the way my family cooks - lots of pasta, olive oil, cheese, bread, and an awful lot of fresh fruits and vegetables (some meat in there too-- and some wine), and I have been doing pretty well. My grandma always says "Everything in moderation" and I really think that is the key. I am not saying that the low carb stuff doesn't work, but it is not the only way.

Something I found helps me from over eating/eating junk food (then again, I have been under doctor's orders to gain weight my whole life) is to keep a big bottle of water nearby. Just drink from it whenever you want to eat between meals, and you won't get hungry. If you are like me, it will make you feel cleaner too.

Mav

A-List Customer
deleteduser said:
what do you do, if, you don't seem to have any willpower, and you *always* will do better tomorrow. aka, me. :(
Do better tomorrow, but actually do better tomorrow. Will (power) is an interesting thing- you use it for everything you do, from getting up in the morning to go to work, to making purchasing decisions, to lifting a teacup. It's a matter of priorities. And you still shouldn't beat yourself up for not doing what you're supposed to do today. There's still always tomorrow. You just have to make an honest effort to do it.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Today I had:

breakfast
a whole wheat mini tortilla with a can of sardines
(341 calories)

lunch
greek yogurt (unsweetened)
natural honey
(200 calories)

snack
1 apple
(80 calories)

No dinner yet, but I'm so confused: does the apple count as a carb? Did I basically high-carb all day, with a bread product, honey, and sugary fruit, or is this clean, healthy moderate eating? I hear so much conflicting advice.

My husband would say that's super healthy, no junk food at all, maybe TOO strict - I've got friends saying with that much sugar I can't expect to lose weight?

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Today I had:

breakfast
(341 calories)

lunch
natural honey
(200 calories)

snack
1 apple
(80 calories)

No dinner yet, but I'm so confused: does the apple count as a carb? Did I basically high-carb all day, with a bread product, honey, and sugary fruit, or is this clean, healthy moderate eating? I hear so much conflicting advice.

My husband would say that's super healthy, no junk food at all, maybe TOO strict - I've got friends saying with that much sugar I can't expect to lose weight?

Out of interest, where's your veg and protein in the lunch? Or are you not eating veg because it has some carbs in it? I wouldn't say a yogurt and honey for lunch is very good...

what do you do, if, you don't seem to have any willpower, and you *always* will do better tomorrow. aka, me.

Well you have a word with yourself, what's stopping you have the willpower? Is there an emotional reason why you feel you can't do this? Do you want it enough?

You don't look like you need to loseweight honey, and you're pretty young still right? :) Make sure you have plenty of vitamins and calcium as you're still growing, plus more often than not you lose any puppy fat as you get older.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tips everyone. I have Loren Cordain's book 'The paleo-diet' which is like second week Atkins, I have 'Sugar Busters' and I have 'The Primal Blueprint ' by Mark Sissons. I am a regular visitor to Mark's website and forum which has articles, recipies , exercises and general interest stuff. It's very informative and a fun read. I'd like to try his Primal Cook book but I think I'm pretty okay with recipes.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I wish I could enjoy more meat but i've never really liked it - and my Mum was a proffesional cook- a really good cook. I can tolerate bland stuff but I find no enjoyment in it- unlike my partner who loves meat and offal and game etc. I was vegetarian for 12 years and vegan for 2. My weight has been up and down since I went on the pill at 15- before that I was very underweight.

One thing that I have found out is that I carb binge when I'm tired- and after many years of trying to unseucessfully sleep with a partner , I realised that to get any quality sleep I have to sleep alone. We just set up the new bed last night and although I was restless due to taking medicine with effedrine when i finally got to sleep it was so much better.

Also I binge when I'm low through sleep deprivation and hormonal changes. i have started to take short one week courses of antidepressants when I'm premenstrual and when I remember it has worked to stop me binging.

A typical Paleo/ Primal/ Cavemen/Sugar-Busters day for me would be:

Breakfast: Continental meats and cheeses with pickles
(or Greek yoghurt, or peice of fruit or sausage and bacon)
Lunch: Ham salad (or hard boiled egg, or cheese)
Dinner: Pork steak with roasted vegetables (or chilli- extra veg instead of pasta etc.)

Snacks: if I'm peckish i might have one of these:
-Fruit (no more than one peice per day- limit high GI fruits)
-Greek yohurt (unsweetened)
-hard boiled egg
-Scotch egg
-Cold sausage
-Cheese
-Crudites
-Nuts and some dried fruit (I like prunes)

This diet does work but only when I follow it and don't carb-binge.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Viola said:
Today I had:

breakfast
(341 calories)

lunch
natural honey
(200 calories)

snack
1 apple
(80 calories)

I thought you were vegetarian?

I actually don't think you are eating enough. If you restrict your calories too much your metabolism shuts down, and unless you were going to have quite a large dinner, you wouldn't be getting enough calories for the day. I think you could make some more sensible choices too - where are the vegetables?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The things that I keep in the house to snack on which I love are dark chocolate covered rice cakes and boxes of Special K with berries - both are delicious and with the skim of chocolate or the dried berries you get that sweet kick that you need - both are fantastic alternatives to cakes/biscuits. I go through two large boxes of Special K per week as I have a huge bowl in the morning to start off my day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk