Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I checked that on wikipedia and it says that Splenda is legal as an ingredient across Europe since 2004. I never heard of it before.
But to be true I don´t really care about substitutes. Never did. If I want something sweet, I want real sugar. But I´ve got my sweet tooth under control at the moment and I´m quite proud of myself. During the writing of my final thesis last year I could have killed for chocolate. Right now I returned to my route of not buying anything industrially mixed. No hidden sugar, no artificial ingredients, just tasty basics I can mix myself. I did that for years after I found out that my body cant handle histamine and felt quite good with it. But I became a bit lazy last year because of stress and immediately gained weight. 10kg after all I think. Now I´m trying to get rid of it again... Argh!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I think that in general, you're better off to eat things in as close to their natural state as possible. There are of course, some exceptions. Raw Pork and chicken come to mind. I do better drinking a lot of water, and having one or two fewer Pepsi's a day. Free refills are a killer. On the other hand, since the restaurant already charged me $1.95 for what is roughly equivalent to a 16 ounce Pepsi, I feel I have to go back to get my money's worth.

I accidentally found a really wild way to loose weight and a sweet tooth. The first year I went to Scout Camp with my son, a guy suggested that I take garlic tablets to keep the mosquitoes off me. He suggested getting the cheapest, worst tasting, garlicky tablets I could find. They kept the bugs off, and I couldn't stand to eat any sweets because well, imagine tasting Chocolate Garlic. Garlic Ice Cream, Garlic Pepsi, Garlic Licorice, Garlic Butterfingers, etc. I did crave pizza though.

Later

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I accidentally found a really wild way to loose weight and a sweet tooth. The first year I went to Scout Camp with my son, a guy suggested that I take garlic tablets to keep the mosquitoes off me. He suggested getting the cheapest, worst tasting, garlicky tablets I could find. They kept the bugs off, and I couldn't stand to eat any sweets because well, imagine tasting Chocolate Garlic. Garlic Ice Cream, Garlic Pepsi, Garlic Licorice, Garlic Butterfingers, etc. I did crave pizza though.
:eusa_doh: lol lol

rue

Hi

I think that in general, you're better off to eat things in as close to their natural state as possible. There are of course, some exceptions. Raw Pork and chicken come to mind. I do better drinking a lot of water, and having one or two fewer Pepsi's a day. Free refills are a killer. On the other hand, since the restaurant already charged me $1.95 for what is roughly equivalent to a 16 ounce Pepsi, I feel I have to go back to get my money's worth.

Later

Haven't you ever been to a garlic festival? They make all that stuff, even garlic ice-cream :p

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
djd - I'm a big fan of green tea (all kinds of teas, this is a big tea family) but it's far too mild to even use with this water without something mixed into it so I generally turn to just a touch of honey or some lemon because I really can't stand green or white tea too sweet, and prefer without sweeteners. I don't drink it for health benefits, though, just because I'm a tea fanatic!

ETA: I find that a little bit of cream, just a touch, can mask the taste of artificial sweeteners enough for me to tolerate them. Honestly, though, I'd rather just go without the sugar than put Splenda or Stevia (not artificial, but they taste like it) in my mouth.

Mae- I understand about the water. My parents have water that smells like a swimming pool out of the tap. They have tried (with some success) to boil the water for 5-7 minutes and then make herbal tea, let it cool, and then chill it. They serve it unsweetened. The other thing they do is mixed cooled boiled water half and half with diet soda. You just can't smell the water as you drink it.

We've done boiling, we've done mix-ins, the stuff is just nasty! A few years ago I was buying bottled water then re-using the bottles to store lentils, beans and beads but I can't afford that now. Irksome.

djd

Practically Family
@Mae- I'd just take green tea in capsules - it's far easier to get the quantity required for fat burning benefits that way :)

Stray Cat

Why did this thread went to oblivion??

Lets revive it.
Me, for instance.. I'm trying a new thing (for me): substitute snacks with WATER. So far, so good. MY goal is to switch from "I feel like I NEED a nasty snickers" to "I'm thirsty". Human brain can do it, it just takes some time for the brain to "switch".
I do not want to take sweets out of my life forever (NOR could I ever do that, I love them), I'm just trying to "teach" my brain to stop listening to my eyes. Here, we say "MY eyes are hungry"; meaning: "It is not the real sensation of hunger, it is just the sight of food that makes me THINK I need it".
..... hence the "water thing" lol

rue

Why did this thread went to oblivion??

Lets revive it.
Me, for instance.. I'm trying a new thing (for me): substitute snacks with WATER. So far, so good. MY goal is to switch from "I feel like I NEED a nasty snickers" to "I'm thirsty". Human brain can do it, it just takes some time for the brain to "switch".
I do not want to take sweets out of my life forever (NOR could I ever do that, I love them), I'm just trying to "teach" my brain to stop listening to my eyes. Here, we say "MY eyes are hungry"; meaning: "It is not the real sensation of hunger, it is just the sight of food that makes me THINK I need it".
..... hence the "water thing" lol

I love water, but sometimes unsweetened ice tea works to change it up. I hear you on the sweets thing.... I could never give them up either :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
I'm famous for trying the extreme..i always fall into the trap of thinking that if i just eliminate a whole category of food from my diet, then i would get results.Well, of course I would..but when has that ever worked? First it was "I'm just never eating sweets again"..then it was the carbs..then it was meat..then it was "I'm not eating snacks, at all"..when really all i need is just good old fashioned self control..LOL..Everything in moderation.But i've never been good with the moderation thing.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

I love water, but sometimes unsweetened ice tea works to change it up. I hear you on the sweets thing.... I could never give them up either :)

Oh, yes.. GREEN tea is my specialty.. :)
I also make "lazy girl" ice-tea. I make tea, cool it down and serve it with ice cubes.. and I get to call it "ice tea". lol

I'm famous for trying the extreme..i always fall into the trap of thinking that if i just eliminate a whole category of food from my diet, then i would get results.Well, of course I would..but when has that ever worked? First it was "I'm just never eating sweets again"..then it was the carbs..then it was meat..then it was "I'm not eating snacks, at all"..when really all i need is just good old fashioned self control..LOL..Everything in moderation.But i've never been good with the moderation thing.

I never did that. Well, the thing is: I do not like bread and other "make me feel like a stuffed turkey" carbs, so.. :) My problem is in the small snacks that carry LOTS of calories but no nutrition. Like those little pretzels, or sesame sticks.. those are what I fight against (and NASTY chocolate bars.. I crave them, but I don't even like them.. weird, no?)

As for sweets: no matter what "they" say.. I'd always say "YES" to a nice piece of chocolate cake. lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
yeah.. i like to tell myself that that little 'ol bag of pretzels won't hurt..but of course if you say that everyday..it all adds up.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I've found that by eating more "good" food, and cutting way back on the Coke and candy bars, that when I do indulge it's never to the extent I used to. Reece Cups used to be big favorite, but now they taste gloppy. The Coke only tastes good when it's icy cold, so I never finish the bottle. I let myself have 1 soda in the morning, and then it's hot tea or water. But it took a few weeks to get to the point of not lusting for some of my old favorites.

crwritt

One Too Many
I've found that by eating more "good" food, and cutting way back on the Coke and candy bars, that when I do indulge it's never to the extent I used to. Reece Cups used to be big favorite, but now they taste gloppy. The Coke only tastes good when it's icy cold, so I never finish the bottle. I let myself have 1 soda in the morning, and then it's hot tea or water. But it took a few weeks to get to the point of not lusting for some of my old favorites.
I never did get the Coke in the Morning thing. Black coffee for me.

VoodooDolly

New in Town
I'm so glad this thread was revived, as I am ecstatic about my new diet/weight loss. I started at 150 lbs, and then it took me a full year of low calorie dieting and exercising 5-6 days a week to drop to 138 lbs. Then I began eating according to the Montignac Method on July 5, and when I weighed myself this morning the scale said 126. Basically, that means it took me a little over a year to lose 12 lbs, and then in the last month and a half, I have lost the same amount. And since I became unemployed shortly before beginning the diet, I haven't even been working out anymore. (I know - I should exercise still since it has health benefits besides weight loss.)

I first read about the diet and I thought for sure it was too good to be true. But I eat until I am full, and still eat cheese and eggs and drink wine with my dinner. Basically, I just eat whole grains instead of refined carbs, and eat very little sugar. I am a vegetarian also and the diet is totally do-able without meat. There's even a little appendix at the end of the book to help no meat eaters. I tend to be a skeptic so I did read all the studies before I bought the book. The funny thing is that all the reviews from people on the diet were incredible, but all the scientific studies and articles I read said that there was no reason that this should work. I decided that since there was no danger of the diet harming me, I would just try it and see if I was as happy as everyone else was.

It has been wonderful, with one notable exception. I have always been a dessert person, and eaten a LOT of sugar. When I cut sugar from my diet I went through serious withdrawals. For the first 2 days I was physically sick. Sluggish, headache-y and sleepy. Then I was super cranky for a good week or two after. Now I am back to my usual cheerful self, only skinnier.

I know, I know, I sound like I'm selling something! lol I promise though, I am not affiliated with the people who sell this diet book. I'm just really pleased with my success!

VoodooDolly

New in Town
You may want to look at AdoraBatBrat's blog. If you search Montignac, you can see all her recipes and hints. This is actually how I found out about it in the first place. If it works for a bony model with 2 kids, I figured it would work for anyone!

Stray Cat

I never did get the Coke in the Morning thing. Black coffee for me.

Same here! :)
I open my eyes, I smell the coffee.. than the day can start! lol

I'm so glad this thread was revived, as I am ecstatic about my new diet/weight loss. I started at 150 lbs, and then it took me a full year of low calorie dieting and exercising 5-6 days a week to drop to 138 lbs. Then I began eating according to the Montignac Method on July 5, and when I weighed myself this morning the scale said 126. Basically, that means it took me a little over a year to lose 12 lbs, and then in the last month and a half, I have lost the same amount. And since I became unemployed shortly before beginning the diet, I haven't even been working out anymore. (I know - I should exercise still since it has health benefits besides weight loss.)

..but "..and still eat cheese and eggs and drink wine with my dinner"
I do not. Eat cheese (ever!), nor I'm the fan of eggs.. and I pass on the wine thing. :)
I also eat whole grains instead of refined carbs.. and it is good for me. Makes me fuller for longer..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana