Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Please pardon me (and please tell me) if I am over-doing it. I know I've started several (too many?) new threads lately as a newbie, but cannot find a thread dealing with this "sensitive" matter ...

To those who have slimmed down: How much does weight loss affect the look and wear of hats? Biologically speaking I don't think there is much "fat" around your skull ... so I can't imagine it would change your size by much ...
but a thinner face supports a more narrow brim it seems? In "the black hat" thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20770, someone mentioned slimming down in the face and it made me contemplate my own "look."

I have lost about 30 lbs. in the last 6 months and am on track to lose another 30 by the end of the year. I hadn't considered that, while now my 2.5" brim looks a little small, in six months 3 inch brims might look massive ...

Anyone with insight?

griffer

Practically Family
I do think it makes a huge difference, both in fit and proportions.

I think hats should fit the man, not just the face, and certainly not a formula.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I would wait until your weight has stabilized then start trying on different dimensions.

And don't forget the impact of a haircut....

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
It does make a difference in looks probably more than in fit, I gauge.

Fit: Unless you lose/gain a lot and a hat was a bit loose/tight anyway, it should either still fit or be adjustable. If it's too large, with the help of an inlay or a thicker sweatband, both of which have shown to be somewhat more practical than diving and then getting tumble-dried with your hat on. If it's too tight, a store might be able to widen it to a certain degree, often for free, at least unless the sweatband and/or ribbon have to be removed for it.

Looks: The same hat might really look different, of course especially if it was on the verge of something. Maybe you have a hat with a larger brim than your others, but it still just looks "normal". You lose a couple of pounds, look into the mirror and see The Shadow.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My experience has been that weight loss can indeed change hat sizing very slightly (along with watches, rings, shoes).

And I now have to be careful of wider-brimmed hats or crowns that are too tall.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Even with only 30 lbs. lost people who don't see me often comment (before knowing I have been dieting) that I "must have lost weight" because my "face looks much thinner", so I know it will have some effect. That being said, I don't plan on getting shorter, nor do I plan on losing bone mass, so my basic frame should remain unchanged.
I am sure it won't change my wearing habits much, but I'm curious about others' experiences in case I am wrong!

BTW; I was pushing 280 (yikes) and am gunning for 200, so pray for me lol

Oh yes, and editted to say ditto to Scotrace on watches and especially rings ... had my ring sized down two sizes and it's still loose when I get in the pool ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy