Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Die, Die, Darling - Tallulah Bankhead's last film. Storyline is that her son has recently died and his fiance (Stephanie Powers) comes to England on business and decides to pay her respects and ends up Bankhead's captive at her house in the country with a off-kilter household staff, including Donald Sutherland and Yootha Joyce.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
"Mrs. 'Arris goes to Paris", a 1992 TV movie starring Angela Lansbury. From IMDB:

"Ada Harris, a London charwoman in the 1950's, sees a Dior dress and decides that she's going to own one. First, she scrimps and saves her money, but when she has enough, and takes a trip to Paris, she learns that buying an original couture creation is a little harder than simply plunking down cash. Along the way to her goal, she manages to befriend a count, unite young lovers, and dodge customs."

I picked it up from the library on VHS and watched it on the tiny TV screen we had at the time, but this is one I wish I could have seen on DVD. It's hard to fully appreciate Dior dresses on a tiny TV. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike in Seattle said:
Die, Die, Darling - Tallulah Bankhead's last film. Storyline is that her son has recently died and his fiance (Stephanie Powers) comes to England on business and decides to pay her respects and ends up Bankhead's captive at her house in the country with a off-kilter household staff, including Donald Sutherland and Yootha Joyce.
Oh, I like that one, complete with goofy harpsichord music that indicated someone was eccentric. I like Tallulah and Stefanie so it was a treat for me.

People, I have a confession to make. When I reopened this thread I meant to post in What Was the Last Movie You Watched? but I made a mistake. There, now I feel better.

byronic

One of the Regulars
'the life and death of colonel blimp', from the esteemed archers team, michael powell and emeric pressburger. not as well remembered as some of their other epics. for those who havent seen it, it charts the life of the titular hero from a young impetuous officer in the boer war, through his irascible middle age in the first world war, to a slightly mellower old age in the second world war. roger livesey plays the lead and deborah kerr plays the three loves of his life- yes, that's right, three!- at different stages in his life.
both the civilian and military costumes will be of interest to most lounge members, it's worth watching for that feature alone. it was filmed in (i think)1942, and this explains the authenticity of the scenes set in a genuinely blitzed london in the final reel.

freebird

Practically Family
not sure if this one is either weird or forgotten, but I saw it for the first time ever, The Public Enemy with James Cagney. That final scene came as a total surprise to me. :eek:

byronic

One of the Regulars
i stayed up late when i was around 11, thats a while ago, and saw that. yes the ending shocked me, and did for awhile after.

chucklehead

A-List Customer
how about the remake of the cabinet of Dr. Caligari made in the 60's
that was freaky, its so rare i cannot find any mention of it any wears.

spider baby, & house of whipcord were nice, & how about anything with Misty Mundae!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
...Brewster McCloud (Robert Altman)...

Me too- saw this late one night, with my big brother, when I was small.
One of those films you see when you're a kid, have memories and flashbacks of for the rest of your childhood, then rediscover it as an adult, on late nite TV.

The Swimmer, with Burt Lancaster was another film that haunted my childhood.

But was Sally Kellerman an ex-bird or an ex-Angel..?

B
T

byronic

One of the Regulars
i recently bought 'hobsons choice' on dvd, directed by david lean in 1951, before he went on to direct his big budget blockbusters- dr zhivago, lawrence of arabia, et al- it stands up well to repeated viewings. absolutely charming.:eusa_clap

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I love 'The Loved One". Found it on DVD not too long ago and had to add it to my collection. Another really off-beat movie I'm rather fond of is "Charley Varrick", starring Walter Matthau.

There is also a really odd, off-beat movie I remember seeing over and over again as kid but I can't recall the name: It's about this insane lady who tries to blackmail a golf pro into killing her psychiatrist for her. Made in the mid-60's, I believe. Ring any bells with anyone? I'd love to know the title.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I just finished watching Mystery Alaska,
great movie but did not do well in the box office.
Russell Crowe and Burt Reynolds star
Hocky movie very good

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I watched The Shanghai Gesture over the weekend. Hammy acting, weird hairstyles and reality show antics. Blech! No wonder I'd never heard of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner