Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
One of several versions of "The Thief of Bagdad" all seem to revolve around a search for the "Blue Rose" I have only seen the one with Conrad Veidt as the bad guy and Sabu as the thief. Early Technicolor and a good kids movie. They need the all seeing eye to find the blue rose to cure the princess, if i remember right.

John, you're right: this was a fantastic British version of THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD, produced by the talented Alexander Korda. (Korda was the first film director ever to be knighted.) Technicolor in spades and with (then) impressive special effects, the flick was made in 1940 -- but World War II prevented its international distribution until after 1945. Even today, this film shines.

Here's a French poster of it. See Sabu smiling?

12thef1.jpg

In 1942, Alexander Korda's brother, Zoltan, made a spectacular Technicolor version of The Jungle Book. Sabu starred as Mowgli. (After becoming an American citizen in 1944, Sabu --who was from India-- joined the U.S Army Air Force as a tail gunner. He flew several dozen missions over the Pacific and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his valor and bravery.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone mention "El Topo" yet? Or "Eating Raul"? Both weirdly, and almost hilariously gory.
Also, to mention one classic silent film, "The Cabinet of Dr Calagari" is considered the first horror film. Very spooky. A product of the spiritual trauma that Germany experienced in the wake of WWI.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well...

I just watched the 1940 Thief....and its great.

But its not the movie of my childhood...so its the 1960's version...

But Dr. Strange, I do agree that the 40 is wonderful. I did really like it. Thankfully I could tell near the beginning that it wasnt -the- film, so then could just enjoy it on its own.

The grand canyon shots were funny...as was the pre-hoover dam area stuff.......Basra and Baghdad indeed!

akaBruno

Suspended
All the while going through all the posts (in reverse) my mind is screaming,"Dr Phibes, Dr Phibes." Got back to page 2 and Senator Jack had made mention of Vincent Price as the good Dr. :D

So... how 'bout... "A Clockwork Orange" 1971, Stanley Kubrick. Crazy flick that brought a whole new Kick to Singing in the Rain.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clockwork_orange/

And one that still leaves me wondering... "Being There" with Peter Sellers.
http://www.geocities.com/~cheshyre/being.html

Naphtali

Practically Family
"Soldier in the Rain" (1963) has Steve McQueen portraying a barely functional soldier who hero worships his sergeant, Jackie Gleason. A funny, poignant movie.

"The Last Time I Saw Archie" (1961) stars Robert Mitchum, Jack Webb and a host of character actors. It is droll comedy based sufficiently closely to fact that Webb (producer-director) was sued for libel by "Archie." It BOMBED at release. I have no idea why.

"Jake Speed" (1986) is another droll comedy that bombed -- mister everyman as super hero. Jake Speed is a Bond-like character in a universe where Remo Williams, Doc Savage, et al., are real -- working for their publishers. Dialogue is snappy, plot clever.

"The Verdict" (1946) is one of Don Siegel's first directorial jobs. Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre are in this mystery of justice run amok.

"The Lodger" (1944) is an excellent rendition of the "Jack the Ripper" plot.

"Shack Out on 101" (1956) is a hilarious spy story with Lee Marvin as "Slob."

"The Rounders" (1965), with Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Chill Wills, Warren Oates, and other character actors, is a modern Western comedy about itinerant cowboys in the Sedona-Flagstaff area.

"Cowboy" (1958) with Glenn Ford, Jack Lemmon, and many character actors is a droll tale of cattle barons, cattle bosses, cattle drives to Chicago in the 1870s. Loosely based upon the [bulls**t] book The Reminiscences of Frank Harris -- that I own. An acquaintance of mine, Wick Peth, did the stunt bull fighting for Glenn Ford.

"They Might Be Giants" (1971) has George C. Scott as an in-patient and Joanne Woodward as his psychiatrist. Scott's problem? He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes.

"Oklahoma Crude" (1973) has Scott again with Faye Dunaway. A comedy-drama about little guys (Dunaway) defending oil lease from the big guys (Jack Palance).

Hondo

One Too Many
Something a little tamer, but still weird "Myra Breckinridge" (1970) with
Raquel Welch, still a beauty, but an odd movie, period (1970s) was weird lol

Hondo said:
Something a little tamer, but still weird "Myra Breckinridge" (1970) with Raquel Welch, still a beauty, but an odd movie, period (1970s) was weird lol
This is bizarre, the title of this movie popped into my head at about midnight last night. i have yet to see it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Myra Breckenridge

It also has a very superannuated Mae West in her last role and Rex Reed as one of the leads. Very 60's.
That reminded me of another flick of the time, "Candy". I could explain it, but I'd only confuse you. And of course "Being There". Has anyone mentioned that? Harold Pinter, Peter Sellers, need I say more?
Oh, one more in the same vein, "The Magic Christian".

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Re: "The Lodger"

If you liked the 1944 version, check out the 1927 version. An early silent flick by the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock, starring Ivor Novello.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
apologies if already mentioned...

Harold and Maude, black comedy and a cult classic. The scene where he notices her concentration camp tattoo on her arm and nothing is said about it makes it all the more powerful.

Catch 22, more black comedy and so well done especially the 20 B-25 bombers brought back to Mediterranean Theater AAF look.

Dollman, a quirky sci-fi where Tim Thomerson is shrunk but doesn't let that bother him.

That Man From Rio, a great French spy spoof.

and the trashy Basket Case and its two sequels. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Hondo

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
It also has a very superannuated Mae West in her last role and Rex Reed as one of the leads. Very 60's.
That reminded me of another flick of the time, "Candy". I could explain it, but I'd only confuse you. And of course "Being There". Has anyone mentioned that? Harold Pinter, Peter Sellers, need I say more?
Oh, one more in the same vein, "The Magic Christian".

Raquel Welch and Mae West was the only reason to purchase "Myra Breckinridge" it is still interesting film,
very tame by todays tastes but still strange.
Candy and The Magic Christian belong together,
I haven't seen those since late 1970s.
Magic Christian does have some great music sound tracks by "Bad Finger" a song titled "Come and Get It" written my Paul McCartney.
Thanks for the reminder :)
Last film I need for my Peter Sellers collection "Being There" I loved it or the Harold Pinter character, Peter Sellers is truly missed :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred