Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
A weird and forgotten movie? Then look no further than the movie "Freaks", filmed in 1932 and directed by Ted Browning. It's really horrible and weird. I have never managed to watch more than one or two minutes of it, it's that gross :eek:

I LOVE this movie, and anything else by Tod Browning for that matter. I'm amazed by this movie on so many different levels that I don't even know where to begin. Browning was a master of macabre, who really knew how to portray the feelings of anti-heros/outsiders and really get into their psyches. In fact, I often start to feel like the freak for not being a freak when I watch Freaks. Check out some of the movies that Browning did with Lon Chaney Sr., they are masterpieces of the genre.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
GOK said:
OMG - someone else that's heard of this masterpiece!!!! lol I have this film and tend to leave it at the homes of friends because I know eventually they will give into temptation and watch it! Hehehe!

I was introduced to the movie by a friend who had to special order the movie from Canada because it wasn't available in the US for a long time.

I gave into the temptation to watch the movie imediately! How can you pass up the opportunity to watch Jesus and El Santo fight vampires?!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
I have City of Lost Children in my Netflix queue. I just finished watching another of his (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) films 'A Very Long Engagement'...set during WWI...that I'd highly recommend.

"A Very Long Engagement" was a great movie, I second that recommendation.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spooky movie

You want a weird movie? Try "Last Year at Marienbad". French, about 1960. Warped my mind permamently. If you want a wonderfully odd pre-war film, try "The Rules of the Game" by Jean Renoir.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
I LOVE this movie, and anything else by Tod Browning for that matter. I'm amazed by this movie on so many different levels that I don't even know where to begin. Browning was a master of macabre, who really knew how to portray the feelings of anti-heros/outsiders and really get into their psyches. In fact, I often start to feel like the freak for not being a freak when I watch Freaks. Check out some of the movies that Browning did with Lon Chaney Sr., they are masterpieces of the genre.

Totally agree, about Tod Browning BeBopBaby. This month they are showing Freaks again here, in TCM ,and I think this time I'll try not to run out into the street while I watch/record it lol I mean the movie is so downright sickening.
It had people turning heads AND stomachs in 1932 and it still has today :D

Caught 1971's 'The Burglars' last night at the Morricone festival here in NY. My friend and I found us smiling from first frame to last. A very likable heist film with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Omar Sharif. It opens with Belmondo using some very 60s gadgetry to crack a safe and I was thinking how clever writers had to be before they could have safecrackers use laptops to hack code. (though, in a sense, Belmondo does just that) There's a really long car chase through the streets of what I took to be Pereus, Greece (God, I have to go back there!) and some great stuntwork by Belmondo himself as he hops from bus to bus through speeding traffic. For the Fedora crowd, Sharif wears a beautiful diamond bash lid throughout. Some great comic moments too.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.534061/qx/details.htm

The second feature was the very mod DeLaurentis/Mario Bava production of Danger: Diabolik. Diabolik is a master thief who lives in a stunning mod cavernous lair with his stunning mod girlfriend and together they proceed to steal pretty much all the cash in England. If you like Barbarella and Modesty Blaise, you should check this one out. Not great by any means, but interesting for the genre.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s71diabolik.html

Regards,

Senator Jack

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
The second feature was the very mod DeLaurentis/Mario Bava production of Danger: Diabolik.

Good one! It's eye candy from start to finish. Movies this stylish almost don't need plots. lol Didn't MST3K feature this movie once?

In the same mod movie vein, try Blow Up. While not as over the top at Danger: Diabolik, it's a cool fashion movie/thriller set in mod London. The Yardbirds even make an appearance.

We've really come come full circle in this thread - Baron Kurtz' post at the #2 spot lol .

Dammit, can't remember the name of the movie, but it's about a fashion photograher in swingin' London who gets mixed up in a murder mystery - lots of beat music. He's taking photographs of a girl he's stalking (hey, nothing wrong with that, this is 60s London!) and in the photos a murder is committed in the background. The ending is really really srewed up: A game of mime tennis. That's right, a whole bunch of mimes pretending to play tennis. he has to take part because they "hit" the "ball" across the fence and he has to mime "return" it to them. Scared me out of my wits. There was something incredibly sinister about that game of tennis.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Blackjack

One Too Many
oct11_0010-2.jpg

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Quigley Brown said:
I like those swingin' 60s flicks like 'Modesty Blaise,' Peter Sellers in 'The Party,' James Coburn in 'The President's Analyst,' and the Monkees' 'Head.'

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered or enjoyed the President's Analyst. I think it is hillarious.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I dig The President's Analyst too. And I love Coburn's Derek Flint movies - I actually saw those in theaters during their original release when I was around 11 or 12.

"Of course it's impossible - that's why he's Flint!"

Liz

Wow, looks like I have a whole lot of new movies to try to track down!

One of my favorite forgotten movies is 1961's Susan Slade, a fantastic melodrama starring Connie Stevens and Troy Donahue. It's like a cross between a Douglas Sirk movie and a Shangri-Las song. This one has everything -- a mountain-climbing cad, suicide attempts and a baby that lights itself on fire. A friend of mine who remembers when it was released said it was an extremely controversial movie for at the time. Supposedly it's a personal favorite of John Waters' as well. The movie never even got an official VHS release, let alone a DVD release, but I managed to find an unofficial copy on Ebay. I keep hoping that it will get an official release someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

BegintheBeguine

My latest Sam Fuller kick included these two:
Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street
China Gate with Gene Barry, Angie Dickenson and Nat "King" Cole
I also re-watched Vincent Price in The House of 1000 Dolls which takes place in Tangier, where else?
I recommend all these movies. They came from the public library so they might not quite be considered weird and forgotten, but they were on VHS so maybe they would after all.
Ashley

BegintheBeguine

My latest Sam Fuller kick included these two:
Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street
China Gate with Gene Barry, Angie Dickinson and Nat "King" Cole
I also re-watched Vincent Price in The House of 1000 Dolls which takes place in Tangier, where else?
I recommend all these movies. They came from the public library so they might not quite be considered weird and forgotten, but they were on VHS so maybe they would after all.
Ashley

mikepara

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick