Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird and Forgotten Movies

Liz

I love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, but I love the regular old Valley of the Dolls even more. It is one of my absolute favorite movies that I can watch over and over. I even convinced my mother to name her cat Neely!

Rafter

Suspended
Quigley Brown said:
I like those swingin' 60s flicks like 'Modesty Blaise,' Peter Sellers in 'The Party,' James Coburn in 'The President's Analyst,' and the Monkees' 'Head.'

Peter Seller's "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas"
is another forgettable Swingin' 60s flic.
131072.jpg

Check this site out if you're a retro 60's hipster!!
http://www.swinginchicks.com/

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
The weirdest and most forgotten-est film that I love terminally:

"The Forbidden Zone,"
directed by Richard Elfman (Danny's brother). If you haven't seen it (and you probably haven't), it would actually mildly appeal to many in this forum. Much of it is done in black and whitem and it has a distinctly subersive/vintage/expressionistic feel to it in costuming, styling, and subject. Be forewarned it is surreal, bizzarre, and a highly perverse in story and subject matter.

Trailer:
http://www.forbiddenzonethemovie.com/

DW Evans

New in Town
beaucaillou said:
The weirdest and most forgotten-est film that I love terminally:

"The Forbidden Zone,"
directed by Richard Elfman (Danny's brother). If you haven't seen it (and you probably haven't), it would actually mildly appeal to many in this forum. Much of it is done in black and whitem and it has a distinctly subersive/vintage/expressionistic feel to it in costuming, styling, and subject. Be forewarned it is surreal, bizzarre, and a highly perverse in story and subject matter.

Trailer:
http://www.forbiddenzonethemovie.com/

Oh my gosh, I was thinking of that very movie!

Everytime I see it, I can't ever seem to get the songs out of my head. The movie's so strange, it's normal... hehe.

In one way or another, it's an instant classic.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Ill pile on:

Blood and Donuts
The Incredible Shrinking Woman (Lilli Tomlin staring) Galaxy Glue PEOPLE!!! :)
Batteries Not Included
The Last Starfighter (SUPER ahead of its time in CGI)
Heavy Metal

LD
I loved Batteries Not Included, I want to look as great as Jessica Tandy when I am that age!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok....this is a wild goose chase...

But I figure if anyone might remember this stupid movie.....they might be here...

Ok...when I was a kid..so 70's.....there was a movie on tv...

Sort of Arabian nights style thing....Kid searching for a blue rose....was all about searching for the darnned blue rose....

help?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
I like those swingin' 60s flicks like 'Modesty Blaise,' Peter Sellers in 'The Party,' James Coburn in 'The President's Analyst,' and the Monkees' 'Head.'

Ever since I first discovered and fell in love with the Monkees in the 80s I have been wanting to see Head and have not bean able to find it anywhere. I heard it was a flop, watching the VH1 Monkees Day Dream Beleaver movie they mentioned it was a flop, that they created it while high, but I still want to see it darn it!:p

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if this has been mentioned...

..but check out a thing called simply "11:14", with Patrick Swayze, Hillary Duff and Barbara Hershey. The timing and editing on this film are incredible and, of course, "11:14" reveals it's meaning in the end.

I found this thing not only weird, but forgotton; after a film festival showing it went straight to DVD and is slowly becoming a cult flick. It seems people invite friends over to watch the film starting in the 9 o'clock hour p.m. sometime, so the the movie ends at precisely 11:14! Now that is weird!

-dixon cannon

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cute Band Alert

pretty faythe said:
Ever since I first discovered and fell in love with the Monkees in the 80s I have been wanting to see Head and have not bean able to find it anywhere. I heard it was a flop, watching the VH1 Monkees Day Dream Beleaver movie they mentioned it was a flop, that they created it while high, but I still want to see it darn it!:p
See it, my sister, you will love it. I remember as a chlld my older sis reading a "Monkee magazine", probablya 16 or Tiger Beat or Fave, on a trip across some Southern states, and they had articles about the new Monkees movie. Anyway, watch it as if you are a sweet child and you will not only be in a pleasant state of mind, you will enjoy a movie. Think of it as an adult movie made for children. Or vice-versa. I saw it as an adult when I borrowed it from the public library and I still love it, but then I've been told I'm childlike although never been high.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Bad Boy Bubby (1993)

This is one of the more obscure movies I have come across in recent years, and also one of the highest rated movies in my collection. Until recently it was only avaliable on VHS but finally got a DVD release just about a year ago.

But I digress...here's a review I wrote of Bad Boy Bubby three years ago:

Bubby (Nicholas Hope) is a bad boy. Bubby is so bad his mother (Claire Benito) has kept him locked inside her dirty damp apartment for the past 35 years, making him believe the outside world is poisonous and going outside without a gas mask would be lethal. Year after year she breaks down his defences until he's a weak boy who'll do anything his mommy says. In ways of threatening that God sees everything he does and making him have sex with her at night he turns into a weak shell of the man he could've been. Until one day, when the whole house of cards come crashing down...

Bubby has no grasp of right or wrong, no grasp of life or death. Mentally he's in many ways just like a 35 year old child. In the outside world he seeks a place to fit in, striving for acceptance in the most popular way; emulating what other people say or do, most often leading into bad run-ins with so called "normal" people.

Bad Boy Bubby is actually a really touching story, as well as a really funny one. The first part of the movie is littered with disgusting, distressing and disturbing scenes and when Bubby makes his way out into the world things sort of open up to him. Breaking out into the outside world is by no means a cure for his problems, but it is a great start. The fact is that Bad Boy Bubby is a really hard movie to review, because it's hard to define. It's not really a comedy, but it's not a drama either. It's a movie that just is what it is without trying to be something more.

The movie holds quite a few memorable scenes which instantly makes this one of my favourites. His infantile behaviour towards everything he comes across is really interesting and watching him do certain things for the first time. The scene where he discovers the wonder of pizza is something I will fondly remember for quite a while. His love for cats, even though they usually end up dead, is also something that breaks my heart.

The story of Bad Boy Bubby is one that's extremely well told and the cinematography is also extremely good. The movie itself is quite surreal as this is something that could hardly happen in real life, though, you never know, somewhere out there there might be a Bubby locked in a basement. This has to be one of my favourite movies now, at the surface it doesn't look like anything special, but once you see it you'll understand what's so special about it. 5/5, close to perfection.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
So many of my all time favorites are mentioned here, it's both frightening and comforting to discover more like minds :)

I'll have to add a few, but I can't say exactly why I like these movies, just that I remember them from Creature Feature UHF broadcasts when I was a kid and if they ever show up on late night tv now, I will always make a point to watch ..

"Silent Running" with Bruce Dern - I'm not a Bruce Dern fan by any means, but something about this weird Sci-Fi movie draws me in.

"Soylent Green" - Charlton Heston and people crackers.

"A Boy And His Dog" - Very young Don Johnson and a brilliant Jason Robards.

"The Leech Woman" - I wanted that ring!

"Attack Of The Mushroom People" - Does what it says on the tin.

There's one Japanese Sci-Fi that I've always wanted to find but have absolutely no clue what it is .. it was giant locusts in underground pods coming to life and destroying the city ..

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie - The circa-1962 (dubbed Italian?) remake of The Thief of Bagdad with Steve Reeves centers on his quest to find a Blue Rose to break the spell on the enchanted princess. But there's no kid in the story as far as I recall (I also saw this flick on TV multiple times as a kid in the 60s/70s and loved it)...

However, the classic British 1940 version of The Thief of Bagdad has Sabu as a kid on a quest, searching for "The All-Seeing Eye" in a giant statue in a temple at the edge of the world. Maybe you conflated these two films with the same title and general plot into a single movie in your mind?

And I never miss a chance to mention that the 1940 Thief - one of the greatest fantasy films ever made, from the days before fantasy became the dominant genre that it is today - is a must-see! It remains enchanting and is gorgeously filmed, and some of the special effects still hold up pretty well.

It is especially of interest to young folks who have grown up on Disney's version of Aladdin: the Disney film "borrows" an enormous amount of its look and story from this classic, including: A giant genii with a sense of humor, a little sidekick thief hero named Abu, a thrilling flying capret ride, an old buffoon ruler who looks just like Jasmine's father, and - especially - a villainous vizier named Jafar (played with chilling charisma by Conrad Veidt - who in bearing/voice/costume prefigures the Disney villain very closely!)

Hey, I love Disney's Aladdin - but it's nowhere near as "original" as most people think.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. It's a great flick. I'm a sucker for every version of The Thief of Bagdad, from Douglas Fairbanks 1924 epic onwards.

Love your new Prisoner avatar, BTW! (I was one of the folks lucky enough to have watched its entire first American run in the 60s [when it was a summer replacement for The Jackie Gleason Show!] - it's always been among my very favorite shows of all time.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
Miss Neecerie - The circa-1962 (dubbed Italian?) remake of The Thief of Bagdad with Steve Reeves centers on his quest to find a Blue Rose to break the spell on the enchanted princess. But there's no kid in the story as far as I recall (I also saw this flick on TV multiple times as a kid in the 60s/70s and loved it)...

However, the classic British 1940 version of The Thief of Bagdad has Sabu as a kid on a quest, searching for "The All-Seeing Eye" in a giant statue in a temple at the edge of the world. Maybe you conflated these two films with the same title and general plot into a single movie in your mind?

Ohhhh anything is possible...or I just thought he was a young guy......

Thank you so much for posting this...since my trail of finding it had gone cold....!

Miss Neecerie said:
But I figure if anyone might remember this stupid movie.....they might be here...Ok...when I was a kid..so 70's.....there was a movie on tv...Sort of Arabian nights style thing....Kid searching for a blue rose....was all about searching for the darnned blue rose....
help?

One of several versions of "The Thief of Bagdad" all seem to revolve around a search for the "Blue Rose" I have only seen the one with Conrad Veidt as the bad guy and Sabu as the thief. Early Technicolor and a good kids movie. They need the all seeing eye to find the blue rose to cure the princess, if i remember right.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Liz said:
I love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, but I love the regular old Valley of the Dolls even more. It is one of my absolute favorite movies that I can watch over and over. I even convinced my mother to name her cat Neely!

The soundtrack to BVD is available...and it isn't half bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis