Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, what do you think? Does it work?

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Well, I received my hat today and I like the look, although it is a hair big. It's a Dorfman-Pacific and the website listed a large for 7-1/8", but I think a med would be a much better fit. I may try to re-sell this one and order a new one from REI. I added a some felt to get a fit, but even with as much padding as I put in, it is still a bit loose and I don't want to add more.

I think something with a bit smaller brim might be a better fit, but this is not bad I think... Would a hat like this be worth listing here or should I go right to e-bay with it? I don't have a lot into it really so I did not get hurt on it.

Well, here we go...
Sorry for the so-so photo, it was an arm length shot!

311091.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Nah, it looks good on ya. I wouldn't want to start out with a snug-fitting hat if I was you. That's a wool hat, I believe you said- so it WILL shrink a bit first time it gets wet and dries again. Just to experiment, you could fill a clean spray bottle up with water, preferably distilled, and wet down the hat pretty good, fold up a clean towel and let the hat dry overnight, see what happens. If that doesn't work, you could try steaming it.......but getting it wet and letting it dry most likely will produce some results.
And start keeping an eye-or two-on eBay. I've gotten like-new Akubras for less than what you paid for that Dorfman-Pacific- though it's not a bad hat.

PS- Those people are high on barbiturates or something. On most hat size charts, large is 7 1/4-7 3/8. 7 1/8 DEFINITELY does not call for a large.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I say sell it now while it's new. It looks a little big, and not all hats shrink equally. Especially wool. It might shrink to fit, or it might just shrink to ugly. :(
Post it in the Classified for a week, and if nobody bites, put it on ebay.

The brim may look a little big because the hat is too big. But I'm sure you'd look fine with a slightly smaller brim, too. There's something about you though - your face, or maybe your attitude - that makes me think a classic snap brim would look better on you. Something with a dramatic upward curve in the back. Not that this style doesn't work on you. I'm just giving you a gut instinct opinion.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I think N-B13's instincts are right on.

I'd steer toward a fur felt fedora and away from the wools. The woolies just don't hold shape or color.

And as much as I like to look through the REI catalogs, I could never bring myself to pay those prices for that stuff.

Now that I think about it, if you are a hiker and your hat choice hinges on that activity, the wool might be intelligent because they are floppy and they give at the back when you have a high pack. That's really the only time I wear mine nowdays. I also use a Kangaroo leather hat for hiking sometimes for the same reason.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, see, that's the thing- he already HAS this hat and might as well get some use out of it- he sure won't get what he paid for it on eBay. And I don't see anyone here lining up to buy wool hats from the classifieds........

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Thanks guys, I don't mind honesty at all. I am not into the hat for all that much really, about $35 with shipping so I am not getting hurt too bad even if it does not even sell.

I will keep looking, but I have not found one I really like yet. [huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hats like that usually sell for about that much in a store, so you might recover the money on ebay. Heck, one trigger-happy fool and you could make a profit!! lol

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Either way I don't see how you can go wrong. You can use it as an expendable and play around with the shape, wear it in the rain etc etc and get some use out of it.[huh]

I agree get a fur felt ;)

jpbales

Practically Family
i agree with some of the others

anytime I see "Dorfman Pacific" or "Scala" I just pretend it's not there lol You will be much happier with fur, and you can get a decent fur at a similar price or cheaper than the overly-priced, poorer-quality wool OR fur of a Dorfman Pacific.

I think the dimensions aren't too bad on you and your fuller facial shape will probably work better with a wider brim, and a small brim may make you look like you have a big head. A shorter brim than that one, but one that's at least over 2 inches would be my diagnosis- and take it as a grain of salt!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Ok... so here is a question for you all. I do like the look and style of this hat, mostly the leather band, although I think one slightly smaller would be better. (Could be just the hat size that would do it). What should I look for that would be a good match to that hat? Something in the brown, green or gray range. I just am not drawn to the large wide hat bands though.

If anyone have something in a 7 to 7-1/8" that might work?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I don't know how wide the brim is on that hat, but it seems to me to resemble several Akubra models.....they might have somewhat wider brims, I'm not sure. We are not supposed to discuss ongoing eBay auctions specifically but there are a couple of Akubras for sale which would work for you size-wise- I'll leave it at that. Most of the Akubra "country" hats come with either a pretty narrow leather band or a thinnish ribbon. Your hat reminds me of a Snowy River, and they're pretty common. I have one and I like it a lot.
At any rate, don't let a band stand between you and a hat you'd like- the band isn't the hat any more than tires are a car.

Firefyter-Emt said:
Ok... so here is a question for you all. I do like the look and style of this hat, mostly the leather band, although I think one slightly smaller would be better. (Could be just the hat size that would do it). What should I look for that would be a good match to that hat? Something in the brown, green or gray range. I just am not drawn to the large wide hat bands though.

If anyone have something in a 7 to 7-1/8" that might work?
Look at an Akubra Kiandra for the style & leather band.
kiandra4.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Also you might look at the Stetson Gun Club.......that's a model which has different looks year to year, but one or another of them resemble your hat. If you go with a Stetson, the older the better......the quality of the newer ones is not nearly as good, although they are still decent hats. Here's a recent Gun Club-
Stetson%20Catera%20Gun%20Club%20Aug%202005%20225X.gif

Again, this hat is frequently found on eBay at decent prices.

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Thanks guys.... I found one one the Stetsons in a color I like on e-bay and tossed a bid on it, so wish me luck! (PS, it's a lighter one so if anyone sees the auction, be kind to me!)

This one is a 7, but I think with my head shaved close like it is normally and the fact that when I re-measured, I was a hair under what I had thought, I hope it will be the right size for me. If not, I guess I can pick up a strecher to get a little more from it. I really need to find a metric tape and see where it is in metric, it seems like the fractional sizes have a larger range....

Thanks for the help guys... so far, I have worn it with out feeling "odd" and have either not been noticed in an odd way, or one guy who commented "nice hat" in a good way. Up here in New England, there are not too many wearing hats really.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I'm glad y'all concur, as I personally don't own a Gun Club. I should get one, one of these days...... I do have a few Stetsons which I like a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic