Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

wedgetail

New in Town
So
I'll show my Standard Resistol ...

Then the New Akubra Woomera , pre-bashed , sittin Way Back ...

The Woomera has every piece of foam I have in the sweat , or it'd be over my ears . I like the Brim Roll , but this guy is Really Pulled Down Front and Back . Too much for the kid , but I'm like Lt.hats , I don't mine the Open Crown Hoss look . Never know , I may keep it . We'll see .
Both suit you well - I agree I'm sometimes tempted to leave them open. They look good whatever! Well almost... Also the brim is for sure as you say, needs a bit of taming. Still need to take an iron to mine.

I believe the Guy on the Left in this Akubra Ad Picture is wearing a Woomera , modified , dip out , Brim fenders down more , and a Brick Crease Crown or similar ...

I think this was what @wedgetail was shooting for on his Tanbark Brown Woomera .
Yeah that brim has turned out well. Although those turn ups are tending slightly pro rodeo gutter like... It could be a woomera, but it could also easily be a warrego - something I considered for a while but the crown is a bit lower I think

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
So

Both suit you well - I agree I'm sometimes tempted to leave them open. They look good whatever! Well almost... Also the brim is for sure as you say, needs a bit of taming. Still need to take an iron to mine.

Yeah that brim has turned out well. Although those turn ups are tending slightly pro rodeo gutter like... It could be a woomera, but it could also easily be a warrego - something I considered for a while but the crown is a bit lower I think

I hadn't thought about the warrego , but I bet you're right ! Did your Woomera take long to shrink to size ? It looked NICE last pic you showed ! I'm going to leave the ribbon for now on mine , may put a Horse Hair or something on it later .

View attachment 51614

View attachment 51615

The Woomera has every piece of foam I have in the sweat , or it'd be over my ears . I like the Brim Roll , but this guy is Really Pulled Down Front and Back . Too much for the kid , but I'm like Lt.hats , I don't mine the Open Crown Hoss look . Never know , I may keep it . We'll see .
I think it looks great! The Akubra should shrink to fit (fit better, anyway) after you sweat in it a bit. My Akubras were a bit on the big side, but they all shrunk to fit my head, and it didnt take long. Is it a 59?

Resistol Diamond Horseshoe

47f8dea327d6b5040b93d14645579af9.jpg
3149c2e5b59a309eb5ec8546e97ed81b.jpg
b77862b66d1465f7aae73d74a60ce6df.jpg
dddbfa1616644f43db40c64c762693da.jpg
b55a6e5e38f992afc2e866b279a0484d.jpg
f2b965f6410c7d8666cb8d559896577d.jpg

SWEET Resistol Harv ! Oh yeah the Woomera's a 59 , my first Akubra Western . I think the Open Crown is like 6 3/4" or more , I tried several creases dry . Anything Works ! I'm leaving it Open for now , but I'll play with it . Like a Kid !
If you are a 7 3/8 like me, the Akubra will definitely shrink to fit your head. My 59s were loose out of the box, but after a short time, they fit perfectly.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer

View attachment 51614

View attachment 51615

Hey Michael, congrats on getting the Woomera, it looks great. It is rapidly becoming my go-to outdoors hat. I don't know if it is the color or the felt, but it doesn't seem make me sweat as much on a hot summers day compared to my other hats. (I'm still keeping mine open crown for now)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm on the road & will be leaving the Internet again shortly but it looks a lot like natural beaver.

9fqjcz.jpg

That's what I thought HJ ! And I ordered a Pecan (plus a SB) , I remember a Hat my Grandfather had , loved the color , and I think that's it , but I thought Pecan might be , but its a darker shade of brown . I may go for that next , or get Buckaroo Hatters to do one , or someone . Safe Trip HJ ! Love that Hat ! Is it a Rand's Tom Mix , or Tom Horn ?

Hey Michael, congrats on getting the Woomera, it looks great. It is rapidly becoming my go-to outdoors hat. I don't know if it is the color or the felt, but it doesn't seem make me sweat as much on a hot summers day compared to my other hats. (I'm still keeping mine open crown for now)

Thanks Scott , it's Heavy Duty , and I think the preferred Hat among the Aussie Cattlemen at the stations of the two or three I've talked to (them and the Bobby procreated version). Not a Hat for sissies that's for sure . Once Mm25 gets his we'll seriously have to start an Akubra Woomera Appreciation Society Thread . Your looks Killer ! Happy Fathers Day to All !

That's what I thought HJ ! And I ordered a Pecan (plus a SB) , I remember a Hat my Grandfather had , loved the color , and I think that's it , but I thought Pecan might be , but its a darker shade of brown . I may go for that next , or get Buckaroo Hatters to do one , or someone . Safe Trip HJ ! Love that Hat ! Is it a Rand's Tom Mix , or Tom Horn ?
Michael, pecan would be a good choice as well. Pecan seems to vary a bit in color maybe from the supplier of hat bodies. My O'Farrell is a light pecan & photographs even lighter than it is & would probably come close to matching my natural beaver. I've never compared them from photographs. The natural beaver is a Tom Mix on a 4x6 body.

Is the Akubra Woomera a 4" round brim? You commented that it has a lot of draw down on the front & back of the brim. Do you think the brim would pucker if flattened out all the way around? I'm thinking about ordering a Woomera and I would want to flatten the brim but I don't have a flange if it puckers.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Michael, pecan would be a good choice as well. Pecan seems to vary a bit in color maybe from the supplier of hat bodies. My O'Farrell is a light pecan & photographs even lighter than it is & would probably come close to matching my natural beaver. I've never compared them from photographs. The natural beaver is a Tom Mix on a 4x6 body.

Is the Akubra Woomera a 4" round brim? You commented that it has a lot of draw down on the front & back of the brim. Do you think the brim would pucker if flattened out all the way around? I'm thinking about ordering a Woomera and I would want to flatten the brim but I don't have a flange if it puckers.

Thanks HJ ! I hope mine comes lighter Pecan , I've seen both , no huge deal , but I am shooting for the color of my Grandfather's Old Hat .

Oh yeah , The Woomera has a round Brim , 4" X 6 3/4" Crown (6 1/2" actually), I think . The draw down all around is like several heavy rain storm soakings (comprende' ?). The back has a nice curl to the edge (I hate to iron it flat and start over) , its not bad as it comes , and the Crown will take any crease (super on the Gus/Tom Mix type) , Big Gutters (Fenders) , like a U almost . I'm sure wedgetail nailed it , that Akubra Ad , the guy was wearing a Warrego (basically a Low Telescope Crown , similar to the Woomera , but without the Tall Open Crown , and with less severe roll and more Rodeo Type Brim) . It would take a good Curl all around like a Champ ! The felt is thick and Heavy Duty , but doesn't feel super heavy , made to take it . Slap a Horse Hair Band , Beaded Band , or wider Ribbon on it would look Old School Old West for sure , with minor tweaking ; pretty much already does .

Last edited:
Michael thanks for the info on the Woomera. I think when I get back home first of the wk I'm going to get one on order. The crown appears to be pretty straight & tall enough for a deep telescoping horseshoe crease of which I have posted a pic before. If that fails I'll just resort to something along the lines of one of these others.

The Woomera is shown as being in stock so there shouldn't be a 3 month wait; only shipping time.

34y4o0j.jpg

2ih46ts.jpg

2dtdamd.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Oh Yeah , I was wondering why no one had tried a Horse Shoe or Cow Hoof , in Old Old Westerns you see them , if you look . That Shag is nice , the one you've been using as your avatar . You know in the old Charles Russell sketches (I think it was Russell , I have a Few Books) they show various Hats . Fredrick Remington as well . Great History ! Nice Calvary Hat HJ , I don't know O'Farrell out of Santa Fe , is that the Calvary ? Great Crease ! I've been there a few times , boy its changed ! There's a Shop in Durango I'd like to check out , Custom Hats , and Saddles , etc. .

Super nice vintage Shag , I'd really like some info on that shag , he's a beaut . ... I was wondering , Did you have a Really Nice Borsalino Western a while back up for Auction on the Bay ? It was Super Nice , 58 cm I think , being 58.5 and having to order 59 to be sure , I wanted to ask dumb questions to guess if it would fit me . Other than Alan , I thought you might have a treasure like that , and a few more around . It was out of Dallas (pretty Sure) . I drooled every time I watched it , just imagining it did fit !
I bet you saw it , if it wasn't yours .

For the Sand (In-Stock) Woomera it took 2 weeks from the Day it actually shipped , I guess customs and USPS held it up . The order before only took 9 Days , customs was that hold up . I bet Sam might have an occasional other color there (depending on the size) , so that might not take the 3 month wait (you could email him and see) . I'm loving that Hat . Its not your typical style of the masses at present , low crown , cookie cutter crease worn by a Country Music Singer that everyone wants to copy , or Rodeo Star .

Michael,

The hat I'm currently using in my avatar was one of William F. Cody's hats & is now owned by the Cody museum. Don't know if it is currently on display or not but it was when I was there a few yrs ago.

The Calvary hat is not mine but rather just an eBay pic. I saved a couple of pics of it that had good top views of the crease. I don't know the brand or who the hatter was.

O'Farrell's in Santa Fe is obviously the son's shop now. I never knew the particulars but Kevin sold out in Durango in 1990 apparently training the new owners & them getting the right to use his name for some yrs. Whether Durango Custom Hats & Saddles is an offshoot of that or not, I don't know. I was last in Durango in about 2000 & O'Farrell's shop was still in the original location, just under new ownership. Kevin may have had to sit out a "no compete" clause for a few yrs, but oddly enough there are a lot of shops in Durango that close at the end of tourist season & move to Santa Fe for the winter.

I may remember it from the listing but the Borsalino was not mine.

I'm a Cody collector & this stimulator of a young Buffalo Bill surfaced just a few yrs ago badly in need of restoration. I wouldn't have been able to afford it but as far as I know it sold to a collector thru word of mouth private sale, I don't think the museum got it. After some research & restoration I hope it goes on loan to the museum soon.

16b09kl.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I saw this a while back , Melissa Barns (I think , She's the Hatter , and her Husband does the saddles and leather work) Shop in Durango ... (probably not O'Farrell's Shop) ...

Wonder if that's who bought the Shop ? Took me a while to find that episode .

Nice Statue of Bill Cody ! I hope someone will restore it , and let the William F. Cody Museum display it .

I know around Western CO several places open one location during a tourist season , then to another . Ouray CO has a lot in Summer , Telluride gets a lot more in Ski Season . I like Durango ! ... there's a little pass east of there that Merl Haggard made famous , but its infamous ! Wolf Creek Pass ! ... many a truck driver has wet his breaches coming down that monster .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot