Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ DH and @Desert dog, it does indeed have a resemblance to a Byer-Rolnick made hat. When I first saw the liner in the Kevin McAndrew I thought it looked very similar to the liner in a Bradford Ltd that I have. Bradford was also a Byer-Rolnick hat, as was Resistol. The liner is drying at the moment from where I was cleaning it up some but when it dries I'll get pictures of both the Bradford liner and this McAndrew liner.
I found a reference online in the Garland Daily News, March 13, 1960, which mentions a Byer Rolnick sales convention, including the Kevin McAndrew sales division. Too hard to read the entire article, the print is so small.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I hadn’t heard that. Maybe @T Jones can show us the liner and if there’s any reference to Byer-Rolnick or any other Resistol clues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here is the liner in mine, Brent.
29d9246ee71917906bf8df39d51be489.jpg
e0dd8d31d4baf0e5bf8e75b62a41ede7.jpg
845bb7c9c47692372935fba967213b9d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Max. How’s the felt on this hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven't petted it in some months and can't check right now, but I remember it being average. A little stiff, the hand not very great. Nothing like a MacLachlan!
If I remember to do it, I will wear it tomorrow, and tell you if I misremembered.
I really like the shape, though, look:
40ed1d3ec5744c8883f74a26985a097f.jpg
f7a025403c49607d798c0873cd60c1ee.jpg
1ac04f33f3e9b1483a3f2a3f79f3b434.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Great hat of course Jack. It would be very interesting to hear your comparisons to some of your other hats. Especially 7xCBs i recall you have.
B
Haven't had a chance just yet Bowen. I can tell you the brim is quite thin & soft; off the top I'd say the brim compares to one of my Worth-Walden's for thinness & flex.

I'll be making some comparisons soon. Want to wear it a bit first.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Haven't had a chance just yet Bowen. I can tell you the brim is quite thin & soft; off the top I'd say the brim compares to one of my Worth-Walden's for thinness & flex.

I'll be making some comparisons soon. Want to wear it a bit first.
Good to hear Jack. Thin to be sure. I do like the ones that have some softness to them. So much more versatile. I’m not sure if they came like that or comes with maturity. Look forward to your conclusions. Enjoy the wear.
B

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Gonna do some work on the Kevin McAndrew. I took it apart and it's on the block. I liked the way it looked from the front, but when I got a look at the sideview of the hat, I decided I couldn't live with the noticeable front to back taper. I'm going to square up the crown and redo it. I still plan on keeping it Western but I may change the original cutter crease to a cattleman. These straight sided domes work great for getting a good cattleman.

Before: Notice the front to back taper...
Mc-Andrew-4-A.jpg

Mc-Andrew-3-A.jpg

After: Notice the straight sides and the round top vs the tapered blocking in the first pics. This will make for a much better looking cattleman
Mc-Andrew-1-A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran