Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I've been watching 'The Rough Riders' on youtube. It showed in the movie that Roosevelt had his uniform custom made. Tom Horn was Buckey O'Neill's deputy? I didn't know that. Wow. What a deputy.
Yes, & Horn first served as deputy sheriff under Sheriff Glenn Reynolds of Gilda county AZ. When O'Neill enlisted as an officer in the Spanish American War Horn didn't want to enlist as a military man so he volunteered as a Wrangler & Packer but while preparing the animals for Troop A in Tampa, FL Horn came down with malaria & never made it to Cuba.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yes, & Horn first served as deputy sheriff under Sheriff Glenn Reynolds of Gilda county AZ. When O'Neill enlisted as an officer in the Spanish American War Horn didn't want to enlist as a military man so he volunteered as a Wrangler & Packer but while preparing the animals for Troop A in Tampa, FL Horn came down with malaria & never made it to Cuba.
History certainly wasn't very flattering of Tom Horn...and a lot questions regarding his involvement for the murder of a 14 year old son of a Rancher still remain to this day.

History certainly wasn't very flattering of Tom Horn...and a lot questions regarding his involvement for the murder of a 14 year old son of a Rancher still remain to this day.
I don't know about flattery or not. After running away from home at 14 it wasn't long before he started to make his living as a bronc buster & rodeo competitor. Somewhere along the line, maybe just being in AZ & around other rodeo competitors he became fluent in the Apache language & in Spanish; some say he was proficient in German. His abilities with animals, as a tracker, & in the languages got him hired by Al Sieber (who was German), who was Chief of Scouts for the Army. Horn served as Army Scout & Interpreter for Gen George F. Crook, Gen Nelson Miles, & Lt. Charles B. Gatewood during the Apache Wars.

Horn worked as a Pinkerton Detective & was involved early in the Pleasant Valley War in arresting cattle rustlers; a deputy sheriff in Gilda county, & Yavapai county,

It was after recovering from malaria that Horn ended up in Cheyenne & hired as a Stock Detective, which was a program that had been very effective against rustlers in TX, NM & AZ & their proximity to the Mexican border. Cattle rustling had just moved farther north. Rustling called for the same frontier justice as being a horse thief. Getting caught with the goods was instant death. If Horn was guilty in the death of Willie Nickell the same rules of frontier justice did not apply to sheep farmers, or mistaken identity.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
26A5367C-8E65-436A-A056-D63914849528.png
6A520CF4-BA1D-4DA1-98A0-6C641FCE241B.png
I've been watching 'The Rough Riders' on youtube. It showed in the movie that Roosevelt had his uniform custom made. Tom Horn was Buckey O'Neill's deputy? I didn't know that. Wow. What a deputy.

Teddy and his Rough Riders. There didn't seem to be a uniform requirement for how soldiers were supposed to crease their hats
Screenshot-20201026-124017.png
Cool stuff!
These two creases got it all imho.
B

I was making an M1899 Campaign Hat conversion but I didn't like the serious taper in the crown, so with a little tweaking I recreased the crown to something of a Cattleman but still kept some of the campaign hat profile I was after.

Campaign-M1899-Hat-11-A.jpg

Campaign-M1899-Hat-12-A.jpg

I originally went for something like this but the crown was too tapered for my taste. This is a photo from the Spanish American War. It would only take me a minute to retweak the crown again to look like this, but, too much taper!
Campaign-M1899-Hat-10-A.jpg

This is an actual Marine Gunnery Sergeant dressed in a replica Spanish American War era marine uniform
Campaign-M1899-Hat-9-A.jpg

I went with a similar sideview profile on the crown but without the upflip on the back of the brim. This is closer to the hat's actual color and I also sewed on a matching colored 1/2 ribbon with a double pointed bow.
Campaign-M1899-Hat-3-A.jpg

Campaign-M1899-Hat-8-A.jpg

I found a few Spanish American War insignias like this one on eBay for this hat, as well as some braided cords.
I photoshopped this onto the hat.
Campaign-M1899-Hat-3-C.jpg
Enjoying watching your progress on this one Terry.

Going through this stack of old range worn westerns from an old rancher in the mid west. I think his dress hat was @BobHufford Valentine. Some serious authentic wear especially on the Stetson 3X and the wide brim. The other two very cool Hats. No brand names or tags to be found. Just very soft unreeded (I think) sweats with a hand written number on the inside.

A437624F-E1F7-4D26-8729-8D70A4A9AFCA.jpeg
E1046C0D-ED0E-45D9-BF39-16AC6A3E4663.jpeg
95DA12B6-6382-4B1D-A18B-15A9DC187386.jpeg

I’m thinking probably keep the 3x and wide brim exactly as is.

the other two may clean up... any thoughts

Going through this stack of old range worn westerns from an old rancher in the mid west. I think his dress hat was @BobHufford Valentine. Some serious authentic wear especially on the Stetson 3X and the wide brim. The other two very cool Hats. No brand names or tags to be found. Just very soft unreeded (I think) sweats with a hand written number on the inside.

View attachment 274461 View attachment 274462 View attachment 274463

I’m thinking probably keep the 3x and wide brim exactly as is.

the other two may clean up... any thoughts
"I know. Let's have a spelling contest!"

I think #1 is probably the oldest, unknown & it's a Planter's style hat.
I'm thinking #2 is the Valentine?
#4 unknown
#3 is the 3X

IMG_1325.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk