Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

DTQ

New in Town
Yeah, I actually like both of those ideas. I was also thinking about a shearling band and making it my new fishing hat but I think I want to wear it more often than just fishin.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I also would go for a horsehair hatband or a large ribbon.

This Stetson The Billy Kidd in navy blue.
blubk01.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
5" wide brim, wide squared off front, sharp turned up sides, we are getting alot of rodeo guys buying this type hats, they are hard to do, because they want the back, round off and turned up in the rear.

But that is why we hat makers are in business, to make what the customer can not get at a western wear shop.

Major Moore

Landman

One Too Many
5" wide brim, wide squared off front, sharp turned up sides, we are getting alot of rodeo guys buying this type hats...

Major Moore

Major Moore, I noticed this year at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo that most all of the PRCA cowboys were wearing these wide and squared off brim type hats. Also, almost all were black. It used to be you hardly ever saw a black hat here because they were always associated with the "bad guy". Even today, the Texas Rangers (the law enforcement agency not the baseball team :) ) have a dress code that states a Ranger must wear a light colored western hat. Black is not allowed.

majormoore

Vendor
Used to be the west Texas cowboys wore the wide brim, turned up sides, we called them Taco Brim Hats, now all over the the USA, you'll see cowboys wearing these styles, most are the younger guys.
Several law enforcement offices I now of have the dress codes on hats, they have a winter and a summer style hat, all have be the same color and crown and brim must stay shaped per the sheriffs requirements, I was at a rodeo event one time in Ark, that the sheriffs mounted posse put on each year, one of the guys pulled in unloaded his horse saddled up and got in line, the sheriff informed him he was out of dress code with his hat he had on, and if he wanted to ride in the parade he had to take the hat he had on off and wear the summer straw hat all the rest were wearing, he stated he left that one at home, he was not allowed to ride in the parade or work the crowd out of uniform.

Major Moore

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Always wore black hat when I worked. Didn't show dirt as bad. Still have this hat. Pic made about 10-12 years ago. Taking daughter to airport and she snapped this pic.

Btw, I was dressed just like this when we got off the plane in Glasgow in 96, visiting friends. One thing I can say about Scotland, it would be as big as Texas if it was laid out flat! Prolly most beautiful place I ever been.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I threw on my Resistol Stagecoach while it was still cool enough to wear it this a.m. I reshaped the crown on this to a Center Dent and sewed on this vintage ribbon with a double pointed western style bow...sorry about the poor picture quality...

Stagecoach_crown.jpg

RS_04.jpg

RS_05.jpg

Nice picture of you and the Mrs.(?), Renault. Nice looking Western too.

Renault

One Too Many
It's just a cheaper fur felt hat from a western store in Ft. Worth. Not a bad hat, just not top shelf. Was a good working hat. Taken lots of abuse. Several calves happened to step in the middle of it. It recovered pretty well. Don't wear it no more as it needs a new sweat band.

Renault

One Too Many
That hombre on the right looks like a pretty tough customer too!

I can see the briar in his eye! Don't wanna cross him! ;)

Why is it we all have our own personal "Yukon Jack" story??? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner