Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Hat Conversion. Gus Hat to Fistful of Dollars Hat

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
I want to turn my Gus Hat into
http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product571.html

AugustusHat300.jpg

032.jpg

This "Fistful of Dollars Hat" hat.

noname_large-1.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does JWalls at Shelby's Fine Fedoras in Vegas do work like this? That would save Duke some time; whether or not it would save him money is debatable.

Anyway, it can't hurt to give him a call...

Neophyte

I know the hats are REALLY expensive, but I was wondering if he'd be able to convert the hat you already have...oh well.

Neophyte

Also, though I'm not sure if I'd recommend this company, they do offer a Hang 'Em High model. Here's the link to the specific page. It's only 10X beaver, which is kinda small for the price you pay.

johnnycanuck

The "Hang Em High" I would do myself. I would soak the hat, knock the crown out to open and let it dry naturally. To flatten the brim, soak it and place it on a flat surface and weighing it down with books or something to flatten it out. When dry then you can bash the crown any way you want. To keep the brim flat you may need to add stiffener or make a hat holder.
http://www.icollect247.com/itempics/159_1267717620A.jpg
Johnny

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
The "Hang Em High" I would do myself. I would soak the hat, knock the crown out to open and let it dry naturally. To flatten the brim, soak it and place it on a flat surface and weighing it down with books or something to flatten it out. When dry then you can bash the crown any way you want. To keep the brim flat you may need to add stiffener or make a hat holder.
http://www.icollect247.com/itempics/159_1267717620A.jpg
Johnny

Thanks Johnny.
Where can I get one of these? I could make them in our shop though.

159_1267717620A.jpg

Last edited:

1961MJS

Hi

Both hatters that I've used are much less expensive to work on a hat, than to build a new one, or even sell a pre-creased Stetson. Hatman Jack wants $18 to reshape it, $19 to put in a new band, $18 for a new ribbon, and a new leather band was $10. Levine's was $28 (I think) for a new Ribbon.

Why are the hats in Vegas so much more? $1200 for a simple beaver hat when Art's and Roy Jackson's are $375. Those are the only two I remember without looking...

Later

johnnycanuck

Thanks Johnny.
Where can I get one of these? I could make them in our shop though.

159_1267717620A.jpg

I made one myself. It was easy. What would stop me from buying one is you have to make sure it is big enough for the brim of your hat. If the press is only good for a 3" brim and you have a 4" brim... know what I mean.;)

Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda