Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

westerns

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
I Love Golden Era Westerns. They are my Favorite thing to watch. Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Roy Rodgers, Jimmy Stewart, The Duke… oh the list could go one forever. I am particularly fond of the Singing Cowboy movie genre. Give Me Gene Autry any day! I love it in the movie The Big Show how he pokes fun at Tom Mix. It is Great.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey new guy: There have been a bunch of threads on this subject over the years - try the advance searching feature in this forum to find them.

Off the top of my head, my short list of favorites includes:

Stagecoach
Red River
The Gunfighter
High Noon
Shane
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Once Upon A Time In The West
Little Big Man
The Shootist
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven

There are plenty of others too!

A cool relevant article:

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue10/infocus/

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I was little, it was Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers. We're talking 1951, 52, 53. William Boyd played Hoppy in more films and TV episodes than any other Hollywood actor played any other role. Maybe 100 TV episodes, and about 60 or 70 films. I rented a 1938 vintage Hoppy movie a while back, and was amazed at how adorably idiotic it was. Definitely pitched to ten year olds, and 1938 ten year olds, to boot.
As for singing cowboys, I'm a big Tex Ritter fan. The greatest.
If you want to see really authentic old west flavor, go find some old William S. Hart silent films. He was in a class by himself as far as flavor and authenticity. Great stuff.
Another amazing silent classic: Three Bad Men (1926), a very early John Ford masterpiece.
Great western flicks? High Noon has to be near the top of the list. How about Cheyenne Autumn, the Searchers, Stage Coach (the John Wayne version, of course), Winchester 73, several Jimmy Stewart flicks, e.g. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
If you want to see a rather . . . off beat . . . western, try "Lemonade Joe". It was made in Czechoslovakia in 1964, released in the US in 1967. It's a hilarious parody of American westerns, done in such an endearing way that it's still an all time favorite movie in its home country.
Oh, did anybody mention The Ox Bow Incident? After having seen it once, I can't watch it again. Too disturbing. But a great great film.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Welcome Sean!
I like all the ones being mentioned but I didn't see "My Darling Clementine" so I'll offer that one up. Henry Fonda was Wyatt Earp, Victor Mature was Doc Holliday and Linda Darnell was very attractive!

Hondo

One Too Many
The Westerner with Gary Copper

Although I haven't seen in ages, it rings a bell as one the finest westerns made, this one with Gary Cooper, what sticks out the most is Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean, Lots of great westerns mentioned here, Henry Fonda I just can't group them all, cause they are all so great and well rememberd.
Quote Bruce Willis (not a western) from Die Hard "I Was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really dig those sequined shirts. Yippee-ki-yay!!!" So I enjoy all of them from Roy to John Wayne :eusa_clap

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Best westerns of all time?

The Searchers
High Noon
Shane
Stagecoach
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Dances With Wolves

and I personally liked the cavalry trilogy John Ford directed back in the early 50's, John Wayne was in all three of them: Fort Apache, Rio Grande, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. MY favorite character in those films was Tyree, who was played by Ben Johnson.

I love anything that has Gary Cooper in it, loved West of the Pecos and the Plainsman.

I have never seen The Wild Bunch, but know it is always on many people's list of top westerns.

Also, I like the old silents films, want to see more of them. The William S. Hart movies and some of the early covered wagon movies were quite authentic in their depiction of the early west. Some of the people who were hired as extras in those covered wagon scenes actually had traveled in them and know how to set up an authentic scene. To look at them is like looking a living history.

I have The Winning of Barbara Worth and want to see it soon.

karol

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Can Union Pacific be categorized as a western? It starred Barbara Stanwyck - one of my favorite flicks.

But Rio Bravo is my absolute favorite western. I can watch it over and over again. Love the chemistry between Angie Dickinson and John Wayne, plus the duet with Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson is great. But I think my favorite character is Stumpy, played by Walter Brennan.

Sean

Familiar Face
My fav of all time is The Outlaw Josey Wales

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Giant
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
Run man run
Django
Desperado
The Shootest
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
stage coach
For a Few Dollars More
The man from Snowy River
The Magnificent Seven
Hidalgo
Maverick
Dances with Wolves
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
FAVORITE WESTERNS

MY FAVORITE WESTERNS HAVE ALL BEEN SAID, EXECPT....."BLAZING SADDLES":eusa_clap
WHEN I WANT A GOOD LAUGH THIS ONE WILL GIVE IT TO ME..
"i think rusty likes it also"

Feraud

Bartender
I love Westerns and am glad to see a thread devoted to them.

One of my favorites is The Ox Bow Incident. A powerful film.

As for rousing, shoot-em-ups I like all of those mentioned and will mention The Wild Bunch again.

Hondo

One Too Many
I personally liked the cavalry trilogy John Ford directed back in the early 50's, John Wayne was in all three of them: Fort Apache, Rio Grande, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. MY favorite character in those films was Tyree, who was played by Ben Johnson.

Rio Grande! John Fords cavalry trilogy, if you ever get a chance, its more enjoyable viewing on big screen, Monument Valley photography is outstanding, beautiful and still as it was during filming of Rio Grande and others. Ben Johnson was fond of saying how much he learned (horsemenship) from John Wayne, was an excellent rider people tend to forget.
Enjoy the fun action watching Ben Johnson and Harry Carey Jr.
Speaking of Harry Carey Jr, Wayne worked with his father, and
for the movie you wouldn't know it but he hardly had any lines,
mostly ad lib his way lol

Ben Johnson, Harry Carey, Jr, and Claude Jarman, Jr, actually did their own stunts while performing the 'Roman Style' riding sequence (Carey said in interviews that they were all young, and didn't think about the danger of it; a production would lose their insurance if they 'allowed' three major performers to do something as risky, today!)...

http://www.danheller.com/monument-valley-bw.html

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Along Came Jones with Gary Cooper is a favorite of mine...kind of puts all the western cliches in one film...and a great song too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21