Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wet Set Problems...

Daimere

New in Town
I've been trying sets lately and every time I try to brush it out, my curls become this triangle poof at my chin. Someone suggested that I get a brush with no balls at the end. I still wound up with a pouf. Although I was able to use the brush to get my hair in a very sorry flip. This last set was pincurls rolled up using gel. I used some herbal essence finish creme to smooth down the initial pincurls (I just wore them lightly finger combed). A few hours later, I tried to brush it out and got a triangle pouf. My hair has a natural wave to it. It's very course, thick and shoulder length now.

Today I got lottabody. I need to dilute it and I'll try that soon. What am I doing wrong? Should my hair have layers? Should there be more symmetry when placing my pin curls (there was 3 or so rows of pincurls but not so even)? Should the pincurls have faced down instead of up? Is my brush the problem?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Is your hair all one length or do you have layers? The triangle poof suggests to me that either you need layers or your top layers need to be shorter.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'd also suggest your pin curls might be too small. I have to do much larger curls with a wet set than I do with a dry one. Also, are you twisting the hair when you curl it, this can cause frizz and pouffing.

As Kamikat says though, layers really help.

Daimere

New in Town
Is your hair all one length or do you have layers? The triangle poof suggests to me that either you need layers or your top layers need to be shorter.

No more layers. I had a trim that made my hair all one length. How big of layers or whatever?

I'd also suggest your pin curls might be too small. I have to do much larger curls with a wet set than I do with a dry one. Also, are you twisting the hair when you curl it, this can cause frizz and pouffing.

I think in a few spots I might have twisted but I'm don't think I twisted it over my entire head.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Layers!! I twist my hair a bit when I pincurl and it comes out fine -- just don't twist it too tightly.

Super-small pincurls will cause a "poof."

Make sure you are brushing it out real good. "Against your hand!" as the goddess Lisa Freemont Street says. You may end up brushing your hair for several minutes, which is common for pincurls.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Even long layers are fine. Mine are pretty long and I have no problems.

As Smuterella said, try bigger curls.

Also, I've had good luck avoiding poofiness by using a wide toothed comb first and then just using the brush for smoothing at the end.

Daimere

New in Town
Make sure you are brushing it out real good. "Against your hand!" as the goddess Lisa Freemont Street says. You may end up brushing your hair for several minutes, which is common for pincurls.
I watched that video after I brushed my monstrosity out.

So if I had layers that at the shortest were around 3-4 inches, it would work out better? I just want to make sure that I know exactly what I want before I go in again.

Also would layers make it harder to do victory rolls? Although even with the pouf it really did seem easier to do that than previously unset hair. ^_^

Daimere

New in Town
This is my hair at the moment after I had it pulled back after a while:
0830101029-03.jpg

This is what it looked like two days ago after I attempted using only 14 hot sticks in my hair to do the 1940s hair from a youtube video.

0829100239-00.jpg

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Looks like you got better curl out of the wet set. I always have a hard time getting those hot sticks to curl the end and my hair seems to fall out of those sets pretty quick. I second all above advice loosen the curls and brush against your hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran