Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are real ww2 irvin jackets worth? Price drop!

What are they really worth on the market?
What is the selling price of a real WW2 Irvin jacket?.
Recently very nice WW2 Irvin jackets in very good medium-large wearable condition sold for less than 400 GBP on Ebay.
What happen?

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
IMO they will sell for whatever someone is prepared to pay for them, there is no firm value price, those jackets that have sold at that price are I believe from a dealer/seller who frequently clears out his stock, they may have a few issues/repairs too. Some recent sellers (not him) have used words such as 'mint' which of course is rarely true especially when later on they say they have repairs, damage, missing zips etc! Other large size Irvins in excellent condition have fetched very good prices, usually followed then by sellers on eBay and online militaria dealers who list similar jackets at over-high BIN prices of £1200 and more thinking all Irvins are worth that...as the winter in the UK passes the prices will as always fall slightly but there is no definitive selling price to answer your question.

OK thx, yes you are right with the definition of " mint " and moreover some try very hard again and again to sell for 1200GBP, but the only one who are getting rich hereby is the hosting network.
Yes I believe as well , the ending winter has an impact on price drop. Thx a lot...will make future buys interesting.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO they will sell for whatever someone is prepared to pay for them, there is no firm value price, those jackets that have sold at that price are I believe from a dealer/seller who frequently clears out his stock, they may have a few issues/repairs too. Some recent sellers (not him) have used words such as 'mint' which of course is rarely true especially when later on they say they have repairs, damage, missing zips etc! Other large size Irvins in excellent condition have fetched very good prices, usually followed then by sellers on eBay and online militaria dealers who list similar jackets at over-high BIN prices of £1200 and more thinking all Irvins are worth that...as the winter in the UK passes the prices will as always fall slightly but there is no definitive selling price to answer your question.

I agree with everything Paul says here. I am aware of the dealer mentioned whose jackets tend to seller at relatively low prices, in part because they are rarely all original examples. In the eyes of many collectors replacing the collar, cuffs and waistband, even when done by a skilled professional, devalues the jacket. Larger jackets in very good original condition always do well on the open market, as do those with a documented provenance. The market for original jackets is to some extent limited as there are only so many people out there who want one.

Not a dealer...airline pilot and flying also privately two open canopy warbirds...
so at 7000 feet its chilly even until July and from Sept onwards...and this everywhere...
Doing a lot of airshows in a crew...
Restoring a few big birds twin or four engines, from ex - WW2 RAF...will fly one soon...with a crew...all in Irvin's.

Last edited:

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
If that is another by that dealer then he has an annoying habit of ending auctions early when he doesn't think he's getting enough bids or as he also confusingly says the same jackets are available to buy on his website, there's a few eBay sellers of Irvins in particular who I have given up bidding on as they cancelled bids too often, I am sure you will find a suitable jacket but you'll need patience! Good luck...

Thx absolutely right...
Why not asking the wanted price right away.?
But at the end of the day, the seller is shooting in his own face...
Internet and excellent sites like this one here, will even help him pulling the trigger and aiming right at himself. None here will bid after this kind of " confusion".
Lets wait what will happen next.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
If that is another by that dealer then he has an annoying habit of ending auctions early when he doesn't think he's getting enough bids or as he also confusingly says the same jackets are available to buy on his website, there's a few eBay sellers of Irvins in particular who I have given up bidding on as they cancelled bids too often, I am sure you will find a suitable jacket but you'll need patience! Good luck...

There are only very limited circumstances in which eBay allows an auction to be pulled. From eBay:

Ending a listing early for the following reasons is prohibited as it is considered fee avoidance:

Cancelling bids and ending a listing early because the reserve price hasn't been met to avoid reserve fees. See Reserve Price Policy.

Cancelling bids and ending a listing early in order to sell the item off-eBay. You should be aware that as well as avoiding fees, you risk fraud by selling items off the eBay website. If a member writes to you to ask you to sell away from the eBay website, please report them to us.

Note: It is acceptable for sellers to end a listing early and sell an item to the highest bidder at their current bid price. Bidders are permitted to contact sellers with requests to end a listing early for this reason; however, sellers are under no obligation to do so. To end a listing and sell to the current high bidder (at their current high bid), go to the End My Listing Early form and select "Sell to the high bidder".

You can't end a listing less than 12 hours before the end of the listing if the item has a winning bid:

You may cancel bids, but not end the item unless you are selling the item to the high bidder. To do this, go to the End My Listing Early form and select "Sell to the high bidder".

You can't add to or change the item description.

If the item becomes unavailable during the last 12 hours of the auction (for example, you break it) you must contact the high bidder or buyer and explain what happened. You can get a Final Value Fee Credit if you and the buyer must confirm you mutually agreed to withdraw from the purchase.

To pull an auction because it is clearly not going to sell for "enough" in the seller's eyes is a clear breach of eBay's policies, but it goes on all the time. It's happened to me a couple of times. In both cases the seller generated an email which informed me that the item was "no longer available for sale" having been lost/broken/other..... only for it to go right back on ebay immediately. Unfortunately this is faciltiated by eBay's reporting system which gives you no chance to input text and has no relevant tickbox options for this situation. The only real sanction is that if someone does this too often they will eventually find noone bothers bidding on their auctions any longer.

Tefouane

A-List Customer
What do you think about this one guys ? uploadfromtaptalk1431887656380.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431887669779.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431887684443.jpg

aswatland

It's a 1941 electrically wired jacket made by Links under the 539777 contract. It is in well preserved condition, even though the connectors are missing along with the elastic collar securing strap.

aswatland

700 Euros is too high for this jacket. It is a small size and wired jackets rarely fetch the same prices as conventional ones. 500 Euros would be a fairer price in the current market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael