Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RickP

One of the Regulars
Ran across a pair of almost new Stetson Sovereign Temples (Caribou and Sage) on ebay from the same seller today. Ive been looking to address a serious lack of light to medium grey hats on the wall, and had serious trouble trying to pick between the two. Ended up buying the Sage.... and then the seller mentioned that they came from the same old guy and they ought to stay together... made me a Godfather offer! ( one that I couldnt refuse lol). I already have a Mink Sovereign Stetson that Im rather fond of so they just HAD to come home to my place. Thinking they may be the perfect candidates to do some ribbon binding on the brim (just so I have the only bound brim Temples in my little town). Guess Im going to have to add another couple of hat hangers to the walls lol
Got lucky with these... Got here fast and in good shape. A good ebay / shipping event Compress_20240521_190552_2006.jpg Compress_20240521_190552_2405.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
Mailman just dropped off my latest ebay gamble. A Graphite color Stetson Soverign Firenze. My first thought was " thats a mighty slim box" lol. The dog thought is was a strange shape for a hat box too (either that or there used to be something with a strange smell in the box lol)

First glance out of box made me glad its a really soft Soverign felt... May take a bit of work but should be ok

Knocked a bit of dust off and pulled the ugly feather out

Little more cleaning and I think it will be fine... only concern is a sticky spot on the brim where the feather and decorative ribbon was stuck to the brim... wish me luck

I guess its not horrible for 30 something dollars

Compress_20240524_101655_5482.jpg
Compress_20240524_101655_5190.jpg
Compress_20240524_101654_4883.jpg
Compress_20240524_101654_4616.jpg

Mailman just dropped off my latest ebay gamble. A Graphite color Stetson Soverign Firenze. My first thought was " thats a mighty slim box" lol. The dog thought is was a strange shape for a hat box too (either that or there used to be something with a strange smell in the box lol)

First glance out of box made me glad its a really soft Soverign felt... May take a bit of work but should be ok

Knocked a bit of dust off and pulled the ugly feather out

Little more cleaning and I think it will be fine... only concern is a sticky spot on the brim where the feather and decorative ribbon was stuck to the brim... wish me luck

I guess its not horrible for 30 something dollars

View attachment 616136 View attachment 616137 View attachment 616138 View attachment 616139
Judging by the box I thought it might be Extra Extra Extra Long Oval. :D:p Nice save!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
What the hell is wrong with the USPS? This isn’t even possible - it is impossible for anything to go from Huntsville to LA in four hours.

Not a hat, but seriously, what is going on with our postal service?

So now I have no idea where this is. It took forever for this item (which is a gift) to go from Vicksburg, MS to Huntsville (less than four hundred miles). When it finally arrived, I started breathing easier - only to have it end up listed four hours later in LA???

For Pete’s sake.

IMG_1970.png

RickP

One of the Regulars
Was this the missing hat? Sometimes I dont watch the shipping tracking... too nerve racking. A couple years ago I had some equipment coming from Connecticut to Texas... It went to Atlanta, to Dallas, then LA, then Kansas City, then BACK TO Conn! USPS never technically lost it since they always knew where it was, but they sure had trouble getting it to where it was supposed to be going lol... Oh well... whats life without a few challenges

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Was this the missing hat? Sometimes I dont watch the shipping tracking... too nerve racking. A couple years ago I had some equipment coming from Connecticut to Texas... It went to Atlanta, to Dallas, then LA, then Kansas City, then BACK TO Conn! USPS never technically lost it since they always knew where it was, but they sure had trouble getting it to where it was supposed to be going lol... Oh well... whats life without a few challenges

No, it is not the missing hat, which makes this new item’s loss even more infuriating. This item is also very unique and a b-day gift for my niece. It will need to be dry cleaned before gifting so there is a tight window for delivery - not a problem when I purchased it, but by now the window is definitely closing.

I have had many hats delivered by USPS for almost ten years now and other than one that went from Boston to Alabama via Guam, I have had zero complaints. Until now.

RickP

One of the Regulars
No, it is not the missing hat, which makes this new item’s loss even more infuriating. This item is also very unique and a b-day gift for my niece. It will need to be dry cleaned before gifting so there is a tight window for delivery - not a problem when I purchased it, but by now the window is definitely closing.

I have had many hats delivered by USPS for almost ten years now and other than one that went from Boston to Alabama via Guam, I have had zero complaints. Until now.
Good luck! sometimes they get thing in suprisingly fast once they find it

RickP

One of the Regulars
Sometimes I think I should just make regular trips over to Lufkin to the big Goodwill Inc. store instead of dealing with shipping on ebay

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Good luck! sometimes they get thing in suprisingly fast once they find it

I don’t believe this is actually in LA. Like I say, it is impossible to make that trip in four hours from my town since all airplanes to LA go through Atlanta.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this actually delivers today (it should). I just don’t understand how such an outrageous mistake gets made.

A few weeks back, an entire pallet of parcels was sent to the wrong zip code, one of my hats included. It was a simple entry mistake by a postal worker, could have happened to anybody. The mistake was corrected immediately and the item delivered the next day.

That mistake I understand - this one is much harder to fathom.

RickP

One of the Regulars
I don’t believe this is actually in LA. Like I say, it is impossible to make that trip in four hours from my town since all airplanes to LA go through Atlanta.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this actually delivers today (it should). I just don’t understand how such an outrageous mistake gets made.

A few weeks back, an entire pallet of parcels was sent to the wrong zip code, one of my hats included. It was a simple entry mistake by a postal worker, could have happened to anybody. The mistake was corrected immediately and the item delivered the next day.

That mistake I understand - this one is much harder to fathom.
Just in case you ever make a drive to Dallas or Houston, drop me a line... we can meet somewhere for lunch ( Im halfway between the two)
Rick

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Just in case you ever make a drive to Dallas or Houston, drop me a line... we can meet somewhere for lunch ( Im halfway between the two)
Rick

Will do, thanks!

My first trucking company sent me through Texas quite often. The one I drove for before I got sick, not so much.

We’ll see when I get back to it - I have close family in Lawton OK (just north of Wichita Falls) so I’m always looking to get to that area.

RickP

One of the Regulars
Will do, thanks!

My first trucking company sent me through Texas quite often. The one I drove for before I got sick, not so much.

We’ll see when I get back to it - I have close family in Lawton OK (just north of Wichita Falls) so I’m always looking to get to that area.
We have pretty decent BBQ, Beef, and Chicken Fried Steak here in East Texas!

RickP

One of the Regulars
Lol, and Texmex! I also love me some Texas catfish. Honestly, catfish just doesn’t taste as good outside of the Lone Star borders.

What’s the name of your town?
Im in Crockett, Tx. Find Centerville about 1/2 way between Houston and Dallas on I45, then take right and go east 40 miles or so. One of the best grills here (Davy Crockett Bar and Grill)has all fresh made stuff ( no prepackaged plastic food.... Monstorous Catfish filets, great Ribeyes, Wonderful Chicken Fried Steaks, Fried Okra, Poblabano Pepper corn, green beans,and fresh made lumpy mashed potatoes). Some good cheap BBQ, and one really world class Craft BBQ place. My favorite steak though is the local Cattle Auction Barn cafe. Several Decent tex Mex places too

RickP

One of the Regulars
This was a perfect hat for the ironing brim block I made a while back. Found pictures of such Ironing flanges in an old hat repair manual, but had never actually seen on in real life... so I made one. Perfect if you like the outback brim down all around instead of a snap brim. Think this ones actually going to turn out AOK!

Compress_20240524_132818_8333.jpg

RickP

One of the Regulars
I based the shaping using my Akubra Lawson, so I can use it on up to 4" wide brims. Its a heavy chunk of lumber, but it sure simplifies brim ironing on non snap brims

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Im in Crockett, Tx. Find Centerville about 1/2 way between Houston and Dallas on I45, then take right and go east 40 miles or so. One of the best grills here (Davy Crockett Bar and Grill)has all fresh made stuff ( no prepackaged plastic food.... Monstorous Catfish filets, great Ribeyes, Wonderful Chicken Fried Steaks, Fried Okra, Poblabano Pepper corn, green beans,and fresh made lumpy mashed potatoes). Some good cheap BBQ, and one really world class Craft BBQ place. My favorite steak though is the local Cattle Auction Barn cafe. Several Decent tex Mex places too

Ah-hah, you’re just north of Huntsville, TX.

I have been through your area trying to find the best route from Houston to the I-20 with a load heading east. I remember it as barren flatland. I was hauling rolls of industrial paper from some god-forsaken paper mill just north of Houston. That was a memorable trip not least because it took so long just to get to the I-20.

Glad to hear there is something in the area worth stopping for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart