Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you doing to keep fit.........

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
.........or get fitness back? Well, I've decided to attempt to return to playing pickleball again. I've got some physical prep to do before actually taking to the court, and I am beginning today. I played right up to the onset of the pandemic. Since then, I have spent most of the time binging Netflix and Amazon Prime, and now have watched everything that I am interested in.

So, I'll climb aboard the stationary bike today, and put some miles on it.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quit smoking, ride my Cannondale youngtimer, swim some km/week whenever possible; stay confident keeping a sarcastic mindset.

Edward

Bartender
Cut way back on the carbs, better eating habits more generally. I'm back to walking as much as I can regularly, and hopefully we'll finally be able to get out to dance more again soon.

Not really about fitness for me, though - more just vanity with the fitness as a bonus side-effect.

Blue Tick Hound

New in Town
I counted calories using a phone app for almost two years. It went great at first, then I plateaued, then I started regaining. I was hoping gardening and working on my fixer upper would be enough exercise, but now I'm gathering motivation to start doing calisthenics again.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
When I was in the Military, we did some exercises each morning called "the daily dozen". We thought it was stupid back then, but now, with the wisdom of age and the clarity of mind, these 12 exercises are easy and really good for the body. As I am writing this, I am going to do a search, and if I find them, I'll post it here. Everyone should be able to benefit from doing them.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
When was win the Military, we did some exercises each morning called "the daily dozen". We thought it was stupid back then, but now, with the wisdom of age and the clarity of mind, these 12 exercises are easy and really good for the body. As I am writing this, I am going to do a search, and if I find them, I'll post it here. Everyone should be able to benefit from doing them.

Do, please. I've always shied away from an exercise regime as it's never been something I've enjoyed. I'm not a natural gym-goer - I know I'd only end up resenting it as time lost - but on the other hand dancing and taking the dog out for walks are things I enjoy doing, which makes it much easier. I'm not averse to seeing if I could do a few minutes of exercise in the morning at home on days when I can't get out for a long walk. Definitely preferable to the alternative of putting the weight back on - it was tough enough losing it after a decade of gain!

Matkinson

New in Town
Just started using the cross trainer again today....probably not the best when the ambient temperature is 30c in the room......good fun though!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
From 1925 to 1935, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company sponsored a daily calisthenics broadcast over WEAF in New York, and later over NBC, hosted by YMCA gym teacher Arthur Bagley, who called out the exercises to the accompaniment of a studio orchestra. A postcard brought you this chart to hang on your bedroom wall to inspire or shame you into compliance. And it also brought a Met Life insurance salesman to put the fear of destiny in you if you didn't cooperate.
130224metropolitan_life_health_exercises_a.jpg
130224metropolitan_life_health_exercises_b.jpg

Mr. Bagley ran a tight broadcast, and the pace was brisk.

That's a fine thread, I seemingly oversaw! And I don't like to open a new one.

Wanna know my secret of serious fitness?

Climbing stairs AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. Don't use any lift. That was and is always my simple program.

AND:
I have my "yellow (plastic) waste" bag in the cellar, NOT in my kitchen. My parents always had it this way and so I don't like it in my kitchen, too. Yuck!

So everytime, I bring my parted garbage can's small yellow (plastic) waste can to my yellow waste bag in the cellar, I take 46 stairs down and up again. And that very often!
And THAT'S, why I call "fitness studio for free".

So tell me, who needs fitness studio or "gym"?? Just do it yourself. And as side-effect, you will get a sexy trained gluteus, I tell you.
If you are also a hobbyphotographer, even better! :)

Edward

Bartender
Here is a pictorial of the Army Daily Dozen exercises.

If you do a search, you can find more YouTube versions with groups doing each exercise. It might make it easier after watching a couple of times.

Belatedly, thank-you. Just stumbled across this thread again today after a year and found this reply. Will check those out. :)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I've a home/office professional existence. And the brain is calloused but the rest is definitely laggard
so dog walks, letter post, grocer and coffee stops Mickey Dees that quite often include converse with kids
wherein I'll answer fedora or jacket inquiry or yak books and film. I particularly believe adults should talk
books with children and a fedora leads to a certain swashbuckler whom I recommend.

I need shed a stone. So all exercise is done with purpose if not pizza.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk