Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
Ever read Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran?

More hopeful than haunting, a good tale of how literature can pierce the veil between Occident and Orient.

No I haven't but I'll keep an eye out for it. Sounds intriguing.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'm among those who read - and enjoy - some books repeatedly. At the moment I'm reading Joseph Heller's 'Catch-22' again. I really love the twisted sense of humor in this great novel. I also think - contrary to many others, obviously - that the 1970 film adaption is quite congenial (and what a cast: Alan Arkin, Art Garfunkel, Orson Welles, Martin Sheen, Jon Voight and Anthony Perkins).

rumblefish

One Too Many
Mario said:
I'm among those who read - and enjoy - some books repeatedly. At the moment I'm reading Joseph Heller's 'Catch-22' again. I really love the twisted sense of humor in this great novel. I also think - contrary to many others, obviously - that the 1970 film adaption is quite congenial (and what a cast: Alan Arkin, Art Garfunkel, Orson Welles, Martin Sheen, Jon Voight and Anthony Perkins).

This is the only book I've read twice.

Right now; Inside the Third Reich- Memoirs by Albert Speer.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
VitaminG said:
how does it compare to the Mitchum remake of '75?

I think that the original with Powell is better. Mitchum was very world-weary, and had the the experience to play Marlowe, but just seemed too old for the role. If he had made it ten years earlier...? In addition, the original has a better supporting cast...and it's in black and white! What I find interesting, though, is that Mitchum was (in a way) reliving a part of his life when he actually did dress like he did in the film, drive '40s autos, etc.

Finished, "My Gun is Quick" by Mickey Spillane a couple of days ago. Reading "Farewell, My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler. Read it probably fifteen years ago, thoroughly enjoying it again.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Currently finishing up Some Lions I Have Met by Gordon Cundill. I gave up on Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama, just couldn't get interested. If a book doesn't hold my interest, I have no problem quitting it rather than slugging it out. Too many other books to read.

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm switching back and forth between Robert Roth's "Sand in the Wind" (about Marines in "the Arizona Territory", Vietnam) and John Dos Passos' "1919" (found an edition with Reginald Marsh illustrations!).

I finished "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes recently. Best book I've read in a long time. Couldn't put it down.

Feraud

Bartender
I trust Fedora Loungers to recommend good books. A while back Dhermann mentioned The Comedy World of Stan Laurel by J. McCabe.
This is a fine book about the brains behind the classic team.

anjin

New in Town
I'm reading "Anno Dracula", a strange alternative history where Dracula have not been destroyed and is governing Great Britain. Pretty funny but a little light.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
It is so far my favorite Chandler novel. (Love the movie adapt, Murder My Sweet, too.)

Still reading the Bela Lugosi biography (it is packed with facts), and recently started Walden Robert (Bobby Darin) Cassotto's bio.

Oh do share how you got with the Bobby Darin bio, as i have been thinking of buying that. I have all the Marlowe novels at home and are one of my favourites for re-reading, never get bored of them. I read little excerpts to my son which elicits much rolling round on the floor laughing at the 'funny language', but i figure you have to start them young and at least he's not goggling in front of the tube for ten minutes, so it's all good stuff.

swinggal

One Too Many
'Mother Tongue' by Bill Bryson.

It's a history of the english language and how it came to be a global thing from a more or less 'mongrel' dialect. He explores English from America to Australia. I love the way he writes; so witty and interesting. Makes me want to learn more when I read his books.

I really enjoy his writing style and one of his other books, 'Made in America' touched on language too; which in turn led me to this book :)

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Just finished, "Hotel", by Arthur Haley and am starting, "The Glorious Century" by Reader's Digest. It's rather encyclopedic but it has all the important bits of history beginning at the 1900's through 1999. Rather like a 'crash course' on the 20th Century!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Honey Bee said:
Just finished, "Hotel", by Arthur Haley and am starting, "The Glorious Century" by Reader's Digest. It's rather encyclopedic but it has all the important bits of history beginning at the 1900's through 1999. Rather like a 'crash course' on the 20th Century!

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
That Mitchum film is one of the worst movies i've ever struggle dto sit through. Truly dreadful.
really? I've been looking at both versions on ebay, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Unfortunately neither are available at my local video library, otherwise I'd just hire them.

Sunny

One Too Many
I just finished reading a bunch of Dave Dawson WWII books. Maybe they were written for young boys back during the war, but I'm thoroughly enjoying them and will continue to collect them.

Before that I read Monster Hunter International. That is one exciting book! I can scarcely wait for the sequel to be released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner