Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
I just finished reading "The Borgia Bride" by Jeanne Kalogridis. What a great and fun historical novel. Obviously, it's about the horrible Borgia's , who ruled Italy in the 15th century, and the marriage of the youngest son, Jofre, to the young Neapolotin Sancha of Aragon. I don't want to give much more than that away. It's historical fiction.

A few days ago I started reading "The Other Boleyn Girl". It's another historical novel, this one by Phillipa Gregory. She had written many such novels, combinations of historical facts, and fiction or speculation. This is about Henry the VIII, his marriage to Katherine of Aragon and his affairs with the Boleyn sisters.

...always admired Lucrezia Borgia. She would discuss the subject of chastity
with Vatican theologians. ;)

....ever catch Robert Shaw's portrayal of Henry VIII in the film,
A Man For All Seasons? I thought Shaw really captured that
scoundrel's character.

Jay

Practically Family
I'm currently on "The Rum Diary" by Hunter Thompson and "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I highly recommend both of these.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I just finished "The Dante Club," which was very enjoyable, but had a bit of a rushed ending. I find that modern authors tend to be in a rush to wrap things up. Still, I would recommend it for creativity and for its portrayal of 19th C Boston and its eminent authors.

I just started "Thomas Jefferson on Wine" and it is quite enjoyable as well. I am not far enough into it to provide a detailed criticism, but I can already tell that it will be the sort of book I enjoy.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I just finished "The Dante Club," which was very enjoyable, but had a bit of a rushed ending. I find that modern authors tend to be in a rush to wrap things up. Still, I would recommend it for creativity and for its portrayal of 19th C Boston and its eminent authors.

Ever read Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club?
O.W. Holmes, James, Pierce, Boston et al.

Barry

Practically Family
I'm on a train heading back home to DC.

I'm flipping through "American Art-Deco" by Carla Breeze and in a bit I'll read "Fire" by Brian Michael Bendis.

Barry

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Geez, you'll see how boring my life is.

Organizational Behavior in Education: Adaptive Leadership and School Reform by Owens and Valesky

Leadership Tripod: New Model for Effective Leadership by Al Long

Three Letters from the Andes by Fermor

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Fortress Europe: European fortifications of world war II, followed by The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. So far Fortress Europe is proving informative, if a bit dry.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Only Yesterday" by Fredrick Lewis Allen. This is what it says on the front flap: "Only Yesterday" has been called "the best account of all that happened in the United Sates durring the wonderfully wacky 1920s"......Allen's lively narrative brings back,revitalized and freshly interpreted, an endless variety of half forgotten events and fashions, crazes and absurdities....."
Highly recommended to every lover of the 1920s :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
Geez, you'll see how boring my life is.

Organizational Behavior in Education: Adaptive Leadership and School Reform by Owens and Valesky

Sounds interesting to me, I'm learning how to be a teacher though, so maybe I'm biasedlol

I just started The story of B by Daniel Quinn, also for my Ed class this term:D as general reading though he's really good, I don't like religious anything really so I though this would be a tough read but I like it!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
David Carradine

I just finished David Carradine's memoirs of making the KillBill movies. It jsut came out in the Fall.

11651704.jpg

It was actually very interesting to read Carradine's thoughtful & poetic notions. And the filmmaking details, such as his part was originally cast for Warren Beatty who got fed up & walked away from the project.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Sounds interesting to me, I'm learning how to be a teacher though, so maybe I'm biased

I've been teaching for about 6 years and I'm still learning how to be a teacher, too. Got the degree, the license, the M Ed in a few weeks, but when will I feel like I know what the devil I'm doing?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
I've been teaching for about 6 years and I'm still learning how to be a teacher, too. Got the degree, the license, the M Ed in a few weeks, but when will I feel like I know what the devil I'm doing?

Most of my profs warn me that you never do, but heck on hang tight and enjoy the ride I figure, what do you teach?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I've just started a volume entitled Theodore Rex, about our greatest President, Teddy Roosevelt! In my opinion at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred