Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

SGF's latest - Hummingbird Cake.
Banana, coconut, pineapple, toasted pecan spice cake with cream cheese frosting.

IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5035.JPG IMG_5037.JPG

Beautifully excecured. Looks to be very moist. Is the cake dense and Sweet?

The actual cake - as distinct from the frosting - is dense and moist but not aggressively sweet, very much in the mode of a carrot cake (but with banana not carrot as the most noticeable but not dominant flavor). The cream cheese (with a hint of lemon) frosting is sweet and nicely compliments the actual cake part.

OMG. I would love that recipe

From SGF:

This is the cake recipe that I used:

https://addapinch.com/hummingbird-cake-recipe/

On the redo, I would drain the pineapple, and add a cup of dried shredded coconut to the batter. I might also add some nutmeg to the spice and would definitely chop the toasted pecan into larger than "fine" pieces for texture. I might cut back on the oil as well as I think that there is plenty of moisture from the banana / pineapple.

I doubled the frosting recipe, because you can never have too much, and added crushed pineapple to the filling. I would make the cream cheese frosting differently next time as well as I think that this was too loose for my taste.

Last edited:
Usually in the wintertime I like Frito Scoops with my homemade Chili. For some reason this yr I switched & got hooked on jalapeño porkrinds. Not the healthiest thing but neither are Fritos. Now that Chili will be a less frequent meal during the Spring season I'm finding I'm snacking on the porkrinds. Gots to have 'em!

Usually in the wintertime I like Frito Scoops with my homemade Chili. For some reason this yr I switched & got hooked on jalapeño porkrinds. Not the healthiest thing but neither are Fritos. Now that Chili will be a less frequent meal during the Spring season I'm finding I'm snacking on the porkrinds. Gots to have 'em!
I do love myself a good pork rind! Especially ones that are freshly made.

Summer-tip:

"Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte icecream-cup"

-Choco
-Amarena-cherry
-Stracciatella

You can top it with Morello-cherrys, if you want. :D

Summer-tip:

"Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte icecream-cup"

-Choco
-Amarena-cherry
-Stracciatella

You can top it with Morello-cherrys, if you want. :D

I don't know if it was the Germans, but whoever put chocolate and cherries together for the first time deserves a plaque somewhere.

And the Germans definitely go it right with the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. I grew up next to an elderly immigrant German couple for whom we used to buy a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte from Germantown in NYC each Christmas (we went into the city at Christmas time, they didn't).

In addition to always sending over an incredible tray of Christmas cookies on Christmas day, they always (despite our annual pleas not to as we wanted them to enjoy the entire cake we had brought them) sent along a slice of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch