Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

I like the fact that SGF has a baking queue. Soon enough she will have a storefront on the lower east side. [emoji14]

We've talked about it, but the business model of a bakery in NYC has very little to do with baking talent but, instead, is primarily a small-business story of an unforgiving cost-expense equation where success is driven by having a laser focus on expenses (which grind away brutally at a single bakery where rent, regulations and labor cost - driven higher by regulations - are massive) and bringing in business by aggressive traditional and social-media marketing.

Because the rent, regulations and labor costs are so high in this city, you start with a very big overhead number meaning you either have to have immediate success or a willingness to sustain losses for a long time (a nice way to say, burn capital). And at the end of all that - all the 24/7 work - you are not going to make a lot of money unless you are the less than 1% that not only succeed but can expand to several stores and start spreading your fixed costs out.

Oh, and the fun of baking gets complete subsumed by the pressures of the business model as it, in a weird way, becomes secondary or a given as there are plenty of talented bakers, but very few successful bakeries. If we lived in a "Mildred Pierce" world of low regulation, one could start out by baking out of their apartment to test the waters, build a customer base and better assess the business process. But that would be shut down by the City in no time flat.

So for now it stays a hobby - a fun one, but not an inexpensive one. That said, there are much more expensive hobbies and at least you can share and enjoy the results of this one with family and friends.

Last edited:
After decades, I wanted a nice package of classic roundish double-cookies with lemoncream (like lemon-Oreos and so on). But seemingly not more on the market. :(
So, I decided pragmatic and grabbed the emergency-solution: A nice low-price 400 Gramm-lemon Gugelhupf. :D

A little pick me up.

The CORRECT shape Nutter Butters.
535555d2decd44ec0d0641a45c16caa3.jpg

A little pick me up.

The CORRECT shape Nutter Butters.
535555d2decd44ec0d0641a45c16caa3.jpg

Good man, missed this when you first posted. I'm encouraged as the single-serve packs like yours are still around in the city and, as noted in a post in another thread, some stores are still carrying the full-package-sized shell-shaped NBs. With any luck, the stupid, hateful round NBs will join "new" Coke in the graveyard of dumb corporate ideas.

Good man, missed this when you first posted. I'm encouraged as the single-serve packs like yours are still around in the city and, as noted in a post in another thread, some stores are still carrying the full-package-sized shell-shaped NBs. With any luck, the stupid, hateful round NBs will join "new" Coke in the graveyard of dumb corporate ideas.
Fingers crossed. I'm not holding my breath though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21