Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you so dressed up for?

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Anyone else gt this comment a lot?

When I go out wearing nice pants and a sport coat Everyone (even total strangers) ask 'What are you so dressed up for?" I always reply something like "I am just dressed that way a man should dress." Most the time I get a smile. some times I just get an "Oh."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I used to get that much more often. It's got to the point that now, since having worn dress shirts (long or short sleeved) regularly for almost two years now, it's become generally accepted of me with those that I know. I remember three years ago a cousin of mine asked that question (of the thread topic), and I was only wearing jeans, I think tennis shoes, and a short sleeved Woody's Retro Lounge type of shirt. I don't think I'm that overdressed, I think I'm very casual compared to a number of Fedora Lounge members. I don't even wear suits on a regular basis, more of once every year or two years, and the one I had doesn't even fit me anymore. I do own a corduroy sport coat I wear once or twice a week, though.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
One response I have heard around here is "I am not dressed up, I am just dressed." I like that one a lot. I don't get asked that much anymore, despite having recently taken to wearing a tie almost every day, bowties on Fridays, naturally, and an ascot (american definition) sometimes. I guess people have just gotten used to it, although when I break out my favorite suit, which is continental/slim style and fits me very well, despite having been made for someone else, it definitely draws more compliments. I need more clothes that make me look as good as that suit does.

I still get asked that all the time, often when with a group of friends. Most times, before I even have a chance to respond someone else has said "He's not dressed up, that's his style." or "He's just a classy guy" or something to that effect.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I still get asked that all the time, often when with a group of friends. Most times, before I even have a chance to respond someone else has said "He's not dressed up, that's his style." or "He's just a classy guy" or something to that effect.

The step beyond that one is a little annoying. With certain groups of friends, if I wear any less than a suit, they ask me why I am dressed down, despite the fact that they all wear jeans and t-shirts.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Relatives and family friends say that to me occasionally. I just say something like: "I'm six feet above ground. That's always a reason to dress good". Or "Because I'm Alive" or "because you're here", 'I felt like it", or "you can't choose what you want to wear when you're dead".

Pompidou

One Too Many
I used to get that at work, and my answer was, "So that visitors will think I'm your boss". I get it at the bar now and then, and my answer is, "So that people can tell who I am from two blocks away."

Dan'l

Practically Family
I get asked this question often, as does my wife. My typical reply is, "This is how I dress." They usually have to think about that for a moment and then often ask something along the lines of, "So you're not going to anything special?" Or, "You look so vintage I thought you were going to an event." I've yet to ask what "event" they may be referring to or why I might need a reason to dress the way in which I dress.

For most days I am a dockers and golf type shirt kind of guy for work. Out here people often are just in t-shirts and jeans. I found that in my 30's I felt better if I was wearing a collared shirt and docker type pants so I did not look like I was working in the warehouse. It is a casual place and the weather in the summer can be oppressive heat so dressing up makes it a bit more uncomfortable but when there is an event I dress up because I take a certain pride in the idea that if I dress up a bit for something I "honor" the event and those that are holding the event. It is the same with going to church on Sunday or for some special Services I dress up a bit because I wish to express my concept of Honoring God, the Pastor and the congregation because this is not regular everyday time. As such I often get tapped to do some usher type duties which I am honored to do.

My friends that know me will usually let me know when I have come up with a good look. Usually strangers don't say anything but I get looked over.

I can say that chances are there is a fair amount of people that don't get dressed up and look at those that do and only have the idea that is is a waste of time and effort plus great discomfort.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
My students have sometimes asked why I dress so nicely, to which I reply, "Because I'm a teacher." That satisfies them, but when adults ask me, I just answer that it's my style. (I've thought of saying, "Because I'm a grown man," but that probably wouldn't go over well with the hipsters here...)

I've had a few comments like this (and by no means am I dressed to the 9's every minute of every day).

Upon approaching a group of co-workers at the company eatery, I was greeted derisively by "Oh, Here comes Mr. GQ".

I believe I had a pair of decent trousers on with a dress shirt and a cardigan. I was taken aback but replied my jeans and baseball cap were at the dry cleaners.

Surprisingly enough, I almost never hear those words. Closest thing I ever get is a 'you look nice today', or something to that affect. The last time someone asked why I was dressed up (IE sports coat, slacks, and a tie), I promptly informed them that I had a Harvard Square debate to do, and might as well dress the part, haha. But if I'm out and about and decide to look good (IE dinner with a lady), no one even cares to bat an eye at it.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I have sometimes been asked if I'm going to a party but I have just answered that I wanted to look good on that day.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Back in 1983 when I started my first engineering job in aerospace, I had jeans, polo shirts, and two suits. I wore the suits until I could afford the whole aerospace engineer look of white short sleeve shirt, tie, and dark pants. People would ask which OTHER aerospace firms were in town that I was interviewing with.

That was a real blast from the past.

Tiller

Practically Family
Most people who ask me why I'm "dressed up" assume I'm either going to an interview, or I'm a manger of someplace. I probably get "Do you work here?" more when I'm in a store then anything else though lol.

"I'm a grown man." Is a good line though. If you really wanted be sarcastic you could always respond "Why are you dressed down?". It usually best thought just be polite and smile. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner