Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

GHT

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 532296

Gone a bit rockabilly to go see Indy DoD today. Couldn't resist a pose with this giant Barbie box...
Don't give up the day job, Edward, that's if you have aspirations of modelling.

striped blazer & hat 003.JPG
Worn today at the lady's request. She loves to see me wearing this blazer,
if I could find a similar fabric I would have a new one made.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Burgundy blazer 001.JPG

The burgundy blazer gets another outing today. I'm off to Ringwood to pick up my reserved tickets for:
https://swing.subb.co.uk/index.php/event/ringwood-rotary-fundraising-event/
Text messages about attire, (what are you wearing?) have been going back and forth. I may have a new pair of trousers to wear, Tina was still working on them, in her sewing cabin, when I called it a night at one am.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
Alas, I'm only old-school on the outside:

black jeans, black lambswool crewneck (both LL Bean), black New Balance walking shoes

seal brown Flight Suits M-422A jacket and light brown tweed B!wear newsboy cap.

I know - black and brown shouldn't work together, but I think it makes a dramatic contrast.

It's very sunny but quite cold today in the northern NYC burbs - it was only in the high 20s when I left for work this morning. metallic epoxy flooring las vegas
OK, well here are the Top 10 Posters in this thread since it started:

in stitches - 3137

brad-t - 2641

snowmanxl- 2381

jet - 2206

Mr. Moo - 2100

Synthese - 1733

Eason - 1500

hendrix - 1486

the shah - 1422

Edward

Bartender
I've not been wearing much of great note this last couple of weeks being on leave. I did, however - despite being off - go in for the graduation ceremony on Friday just past to see my undergraduate charges fly the nest and celebrate with them. Too busy to get ad decent photo (especially intended to get one with my gown on - my Masters hood echoes the sky blue bow and my pink shirt, hence choosing those colours), but this is a quick and dirty shot the wife took for me when I got home:

1690743330070.jpeg

This one is from an odd angle that makes thee jacket look wrong - it's definitely not too big! - but it's a better shot for the colours:

1690743454655.jpeg

This is my new Cathcart suit in linen/silk mix @GHT . Wears lovely. Shoes are also Cathcart, in the earlier run that had that lovely early thirties shape with the big, round and bulbous toecap - not unlike the shape of a pair of Iron Rangers. I wish Simon would do more of this shape (an all-leather version with grained leather in the same colour as the leather bits here in place of the canvas, and a Dainite sole, would be outstanding for the Winter). I normally wear a straw boater to and from July graduation, but alas rain threatened on Friday (though never quite happened), so I took the safer option of this Bates linen 'travel fedora'. Will definitely enjoy getting this suit more airings over the next few years. The jacket here is the two-button, plain back version; I will, in time, pick up another in the three-button, beltback style, in a different colour. Black would be superb. I love a linen suit in these more 'sober' colours, perfect for Occasion wear when a lounge suit is de rigeur but a brighter, flashier colour isn't appropriate.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've not been wearing much of great note this last couple of weeks being on leave. I did, however - despite being off - go in for the graduation ceremony on Friday just past to see my undergraduate charges fly the nest and celebrate with them. Too busy to get ad decent photo (especially intended to get one with my gown on - my Masters hood echoes the sky blue bow and my pink shirt, hence choosing those colours), but this is a quick and dirty shot the wife took for me when I got home:

View attachment 536026

This one is from an odd angle that makes thee jacket look wrong - it's definitely not too big! - but it's a better shot for the colours:

View attachment 536027

I normally wear a straw boater to and from July graduation, but alas rain threatened on Friday (though never quite happened), so I took the safer option of this Bates linen 'travel fedora'. Will definitely enjoy getting this suit more airings over the next few years. The jacket here is the two-button, plain back version; I will, in time, pick up another in the three-button, beltback style, in a different colour. Black would be superb. I love a linen suit in these more 'sober' colours, perfect for Occasion wear when a lounge suit is de rigeur but a brighter, flashier colour isn't appropriate.
Edward, you look impeccable, every inch the academic, I'm not mocking, it's as you say, de rigeur. You have got that 'look' just right. A classic ensemble indeed, perfect.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Monday is the last UK public holiday before Christmas, we are going to make the most of it by going to the very popular vintage festival called Twinwood. So called because it's held on the former RAF Twinwood base.

Busy day today, the hired motorhome has been collected, I have found time to get a haircut, the cats are off to their cat hotel and the lady is out getting her nails "done."

I am wearing a Fox Tailored blazer, shirt and trousers by Tina, shoes by Colin Johnson and a hat by Esther Weis. Note the hat band badge.

Sports Blazers 009.JPG plane shirt 005.JPG B&W2.JPG MG Hat badge 001.JPG green blazer silver pants 003.JPG

Edward

Bartender
1694957857518.png

Me (right) with jive scene dance teacher and DJ the Rev Boogie at a dear, mutual friend's wedding on Saturday night. The bride had specifically requested I wear a kilt, so over the last few months I put together a new outfit. I managed not to take proper photos of my own (dur!) - lovely venue, though, the crypt of the Guildhall in the City of London.

Edward

Bartender
^ A fine kilt & kit Edward. Ghillie Callum or dirks ready looks the two of you; but the Orange is Northern Ireland,
I take your origin. Truly fine show.

Irish Saffron - the first 'Irish' kilt. Adopted in the Victorian period by a section of the Gaelic revivalists as a conscious bit of cultural appropriation when it was realised we'd somehow mot managed to preserve any form of distinct, Irish national dress that set the Irish apart from the typical Englishman. Some sources put the earliest date of an Irishman adopting the kilt as c.1850, though (while never exactly mainstream - for that, you have to look to the diaspora, particularly in North America, all these years later) really it was more of a thing in those circles from the late 1880s onwards. When Pearse established St Enda's Boys School in 1908, the saffron kilt was set as its uniform. There is at least one eyewitness account - though unfortunately no photos - of boys from St Enda's wearing their kilts into the fray during the 16 Rising. Around the same time the Irish regiments of the British Army started putting their pipers in a saffron kilt - thus immediately distinguishing them in formation from Scottish regiments. In 1922 when most of Ireland quit the Union, most Irish regiments of the British Army were dissolved. The pipers of the, as then was, Free State Army (now the Irish Defence Forces) retained (and still wear) the saffron kilt. The pipers of the Royal Irish Regiment of the British Army (and I believe the other remaining Irish regiments?) also still wear the saffron kilt. The British pipers do, I believe, follow the RIR with some sort of applique shamrocks in black down the open edge of the kilt apron; the IDF, as the FSA before them, maintain a plain saffron kilt.

I'm originally from County Antrim. As of last month, I've now lived more of my life in East London than I did in my native Ireland (I'll be here 25 years in February 2024). Never lost the accent though - an act of wilful belligerence on my part, as it was often still treated with suspicion over here in the late 90s. Let's just say I got followed round a lot of shops, and for many years it was a rare 'random' security check at the airport that didn't pull me over. ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Monday is the last UK public holiday before Christmas, we are going to make the most of it by going to the very popular vintage festival called Twinwood. So called because it's held on the former RAF Twinwood base.

Busy day today, the hired motorhome has been collected, I have found time to get a haircut, the cats are off to their cat hotel and the lady is out getting her nails "done."

I am wearing a Fox Tailored blazer, shirt and trousers by Tina, shoes by Colin Johnson and a hat by Esther Weis. Note the hat band badge.

View attachment 542280 View attachment 542281 View attachment 542282 View attachment 542283 View attachment 542284
Apart from a change of shirt, this what I chose to wear at today's 100th MG centenary birthday party.

MG Shirt 001.JPG MG Shirt 003.JPG MG Shirt 001.JPG MG Shirt 002.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A Leprechaun's luck eh? Maybe so. We like the Big Band and popular Jazz of the 1930's & 40's. Wartime events always have a Big Band and none more so than The Great Central Railway heritage line up at Leicester. War is a time of deprivation, of death and suffering, not something to celebrate. But The Great Central have a kind of Dad's Army attitude that makes for a most enjoyable festival.

There are some though, for whom WW2 has never ended. They dot every "i" cross every "t" and, infuriatingly, seem to expect everyone else to do much the same. Ha! How I, make that the good lady, managed to cause them serious grief, although that grief had to be spelt out.

shirts and co 003.JPG

The last WW2 event at The Great Central before lockdown I wore this camouflage shirt. Camouflage? What got the purists foaming at the mouth, once it was pointed out to them, it's not your run of the mill camouflage. Look closely, the black images are the best ones to look at. Do you see pin-up girls?

The Great Central loved it, even put it up on their website, others, sadly, are still recovering.

Reactions: RBH

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Camies are just fine. I also favour Big Band and jazz, and coincidence have Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade
playing now; morning work ritual always includes Moonlight Serenade, Artie Shaw's Begin The Beguine, and some Harry James with You Didn't Want to Love Me and his horn solo, plus lots of coffee.

Cannot dance, or march-another day's tale-but watch fascinated at good sure step when older relatives,
aunts and uncles, rug cutters whom cherish that era and its music, and can really foxtrot jitterbug their hearts
out on the dance floor.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Compliments came from all quarters today, lost count of the times that I heard the word, "Dapper." One of the lady congregational members at church was so captivated by my hat that she complimented me, later, outside. Then she laughed when I said that, had this been a synagogue, I would have worn my hat inside too.

Another lovely dapper compliment came from a supermarket employee who was so accommodating in helping me find the impossible items that Tina writes in a foreign language, or so it seems, on a shopping list for me to go and purchase.

My hat, blazer and trousers were common place decades ago, now they warrant "Did you see" on internet forums. Want to see what aroused such curiosity? Go to "What hat are you wearing," thread. All will be revealed.

Reactions: RBH

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wearing on 2nd Nov 2023 002.JPG Wearing on 2nd Nov 2023 003.JPG
The trousers on the left are actually grey in colour, I considered a green pair but with the green cardigan a contrast was a better option.

Wearing on 2nd Nov 2023 004.JPG
The shirt on the left goes much better with black trousers, that's why I have chosen the one on the right.

Wearing on 2nd Nov 2023 007.JPG
The milliners at Gamble & Gunn do me proud. There's not many with a seven and three quarter inch cranium.

Wearing on 2nd Nov 2023 009.JPG
On my feet (size 10) what did you expect? Big head, big feet, I would topple over if they were smaller. The shoes are made to measure by Colin Johnson Shoes. Sorry I can't pose in today's ensemble, Tina is at the hairdressers damaging my wealth, I need her to take the photo.
The hat and shoes I have given credit for, the cardigan is from a famous UK shop name of Marks & Spencer. Tina made the shirts and trousers, and a fine job of them she did too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner