Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Some pictures from an event I was attending: a winter Tweed Run here in Helsinki.

kahvillaIMG_2465.JPG

Is that one of the neckties that you picked up from a member of the Lounge, Sproily?...:D (And what a pair of [looks like] blue eyes on the girl to your right.)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Nice suit, Orgetorix. But I think it is your necktie that truly nailed it. I would try browsing through the whole thread to get a few good points on how I should dress vintage-style.

lol...thanks. But I've been there, done that, and have posted several vintage and vintage-inspired looks in this thread over the years. You might try browsing through the whole thread and you'd see them. My current tastes, as well as the constraints of my current job, have pushed me back in a more classic and timeless direction with my style, and I'm happy with that.

0216011210.jpg
0216011211.jpg

kools

Practically Family
What makes you think that the suit is early-'50s and not late-'40s?

I suppose it could be late '40s, but it feels just so similar & is cut so similar to another DB suit I have dated 1952.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some really great photos lately!

My modest contribution, my wife and I at the opera the other week.

1950s ex-rental US After Six midnight blue tails, vintage British Harrods white marcella waistcoat, vintage Krementz gold and glass white tie stud set, John Bros. black plaintoe oxfords, and the rest is from the Vintage Shirt Company (shirt, detachable collar, tie). First time I wore this set of tails, some minor tweaking I might do in the future (shorten sleaves, adjust trousers a little, etc.)

395201992.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Really great suit, Nick. Is it vintage? (Also, did I read on here once that you're actually a Yank living in England?)

Thanks, Lee. Actually, it's not vintage. The trousers and jacket are from 1930s patterns and the waistcoat is a modern pattern adapted. I need to give it a better pressing, and between the time I started and finished I lost several inches around the middle, so it's bigger on me than it would have been.

And yes, I'm a Yank studying in England :)

Cheers
Nick

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, ws1!

Today:

DSC05893.jpg

DSC05894.jpg

DSC05896-1.jpg

Fantastic. Is that an Old Town, by any chance?

I suppose it could be late '40s, but it feels just so similar & is cut so similar to another DB suit I have dated 1952.

Yes, away from the very mainstream of the fashion industry, men's suits seem to me to change less year on year than other garments, so I think there's a bigger window for an individual style / cut. That said, if suits were worn by most men daily nowadays, that might not be the case.... [huh]

Torpedo

One Too Many
CrazyDaisy, lovely... :p

Nick, my mouth is watering after seeing that belted back! And you are wearing it well, nice outfit overall!

Kools, you are putting together some great 50s outfits.

As for me, today...

DSC01456b.jpg

(The bow tie is not clip-on, it is my usual self-styled; but it is a thick woolen one, hence it is hard to create dimples, creases, etc, and it looks less natural, specially from a distance. I have a couple of these, and this is the one feature I dislike. But the pattern I like!)

kools

Practically Family
Everyone's looking good; groovin' their own style quite well.

Nick D.-spectacular!
Torpedo-well done with the tie!
Orgetorix-suave as ever
Dr. Good-I'd love to see more!

kools

Practically Family
Milwaukee today 38 degrees F & angry

Leisure jacket; late '40s gabardine shirt; 1950s tie; my new favorite 1940s winter trousers; AE Halsted

P1040495.jpg

The trousers: THICK tweed and nice high waist; sits about 1"+ above the navel.

P1040496.jpg

P1040497.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred