Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

TCMfan25

Practically Family
"Barbaric".

Re defining "phwoar", rather than refer to the Urban Dictionary, one might simply suggest it is a form of vocal grunt, designed to indicate appreciation of the female form, with an implication therein that the person employing this vocal device considers the subject of same to be sexually attractive. Notable practitioners include James, Sid.

:eusa_doh: Midnight history lessons take their toll on me.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sigh.

The more the comments came in here regarding this from you FL gents, and now that I've had a bit of time to think about them- I've come to realize that this comment was perhaps not intended to be complimentary. And I feel quite the naive fool for not "getting it" until this point. This look was far from slutty or trashy or inelegant or unattractive, given the context and event I wore this cocktail dress to. Frankly I'm a bit taken aback and disappointed here.

I did receive compliments Sat. evening on how I looked, and when I have worn this dress before (in other social dance/ballroom dance contexts), especially from the Mr.

Just goes to show that my own opinion of how I feel about how I look, along with his opinion, and that of other friends of mine are maybe the ones that should matter to me.

Back to chanteuseCarey

Everybody familiar with the word "Phwooooaarrrr" ?

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear Carey, in defence of those chaps out there with their 'wolf whistles' (or verbal equivalents of), I 'do believe' their remarks are well intentioned. You know how easily things 'in type' can be misread, because you're not 'hearing' them being said with all the intonation and facial expressions we usually get 'in person.' And 'in defence' of you ' Dear Lady,' your 'Mister' and friends are all absolutely 'spot on' in pointing out how delightful you looked the other night which reflects the effort and care you put into your ensemble - 'Well Done YOU.'

Right everyone - deep breath, dust yourselves down and please move along, Thankyou.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dear Carey, in defence of those chaps out there with their 'wolf whistles' (or verbal equivalents of), I 'do believe' their remarks are well intentioned. You know how easily things 'in type' can be misread, because you're not 'hearing' them being said with all the intonation and facial expressions we usually get 'in person.' And 'in defence' of you ' Dear Lady,' your 'Mister' and friends are all absolutely 'spot on' in pointing out how delightful you looked the other night which reflects the effort and care you put into your ensemble - 'Well Done YOU.'

Right everyone - deep breath, dust yourselves down and please move along, Thankyou.
:arated:

Might I also add that Mrs Carey looked wonderful in the outfit in question, and whilst the gentlemen in question were probably meant well I prefer to stick to straight forward compliments which can only be interpreted one way. I'm also sure that Mrs Carey carried herself off very elegently and I can't think of a more appropriate event to wear such a dress than a Saturday night dance.

I usually don't compliment the ladies on this thread, because wonderful as they invariably look I usually lack the confidence to do so (although I am usually confident enough in real life). However when I do (and I would advise other gentlemen on here to follow my example) I like to keep compliments decent just because this is the internet and without the emotion one can add in face to face conversations it is best not to risk offending anyone through misunderstandings.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Dear Paddy. You're a real sweetheart, and a true gentleman:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you avedwards, you are very kind. Though it is 'Miss' Carey nowadays.
:arated:

Might I also add that Mrs Carey looked wonderful in the outfit in question, and whilst the gentlemen in question were probably meant well I prefer to stick to straight forward compliments which can only be interpreted one way. I'm also sure that Mrs Carey carried herself off very elegently and I can't think of a more appropriate event to wear such a dress than a Saturday night dance.

I usually don't compliment the ladies on this thread, because wonderful as they invariably look I usually lack the confidence to do so (although I am usually confident enough in real life). However when I do (and I would advise other gentlemen on here to follow my example) I like to keep compliments decent just because this is the internet and without the emotion one can add in face to face conversations it is best not to risk offending anyone through misunderstandings.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
DSC09807.JPG

Went for a 30's look with a typical modern/vintage mix: the crochet cardigan and bag (not seen here) are the vintage pieces.

DSC09792.JPG

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great look as always Daisey, you always look look like you are having a great time in your photos!

Carey: I almost missed your photo and you look great!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
for the wearing of this evening; the Mr. sent me an email this morning regarding an activity he has in mind for us this evening. I rang him up and asked if he had any particular clothing requests of what I could possibly wear for this. He said "Well, you always surprise and delight me". Then he said, "a [vintage] fur coat?" I'll be wearing a favourite sleeveless knit knee length solid blue dress that I add a vintage blue dress clip to, and the vintage 40s knee length red fur coat. Red jewels and gold tone earrings, red pumps. I usually prefer to wear a dress or skirt with top or sweater if possible whether we are going out or staying in, as it is a feminine look that suits me well- he does appreciate the effort and is sweetly amused by that. This dress and the accompanying accessories was what i was wearing the night he and I first met, during a Beg. Foxtrot class. He commented in particular right away that night on my red jeweled bracelet.
Here is an older pic showing the vintage 40s fur coat:
07192010AfinishedIMG5385resized.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Crazy Daisy you look simply lovely! Btw, the view looks extremely familiar!

My outfit for our day out on Sunday….
Hat, Shoes, Bag and gasmask bag- all either 30’s or 40’s.
Dress- another one my Ma has made me from an early 40’s pattern!
P1010691.JPG

I hate the photo as my blooming gasmask bag was dragging down the shoulder on my dress- grr:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred