Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

mike

Call Me a Cab
analiebe said:
very sharp, mike... and the mustache just makes it!

thanks! I'm still working on it. I had attempted a pencil mustache a few years ago and it looked terrible on me. But I know I need an eyebrow pencil to make it work but I might just keep it like this. People were calling me William Powell all night

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is what I wore to church today. Double-breasted, navy blue wool suit and black wingtip shoes (hat is in the car).

DSC03188.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Grant Fan said:
Tonight I have a cocktail party I am going to, I have done my hair already and figured I would put my outfit on so I could take pictures and post them before I forgot. I bought this dress last year to wear to a my boyfriends Squadron Christmas party in Japan last year but they moved the date and I wasn't there for it. So this is the first time I have gotten to wear this, I am very excited.

Green004.jpg

B]

Swoon.......

Simply fabulous.

B

analiebe

A-List Customer
mike said:
thanks! I'm still working on it. I had attempted a pencil mustache a few years ago and it looked terrible on me. But I know I need an eyebrow pencil to make it work but I might just keep it like this. People were calling me William Powell all night

you should keep it... it suits you tremendously

and william powell was a very dapper man... he knew some things about dinner parties too it seems
“Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table.”

babs

A-List Customer
ok.. disclaimer.. Happily married man here so I'm not a big flirt or nothing but I gotta say it.. Grant Fan and Christina both. Holy Smokes!! What absolute knockouts! Too bad I can't find a little smiley where the eyes bug out and he falls over.. That would be fitting. :)

Goes to show class, style and beauty are timeless.

mike

Call Me a Cab
analiebe said:
you should keep it... it suits you tremendously

and william powell was a very dapper man... he knew some things about dinner parties too it seems
“Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table.”

Thanks! The best thing about it is that my mom's father always thought my dad resembled William Powell, so my family got a kick out of that comment continuing to the next generation :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Going 40's today...(pics)

Early 40's SB Peak lapel 2 pc English suit (full lining). Indications show that this suit was custom made for someone with a bit of money. Little things like a silk gusset support on the inside crotch area of the pants and silk lined sleeves. A beautiful navy blue 'Bird's Eye' woven wool fabric. Lovely high waisted, button fly front pants with buttoned front watch pocket and wallet pocket to rear. For early 40's when Britain had been at war since the end of '39, well, this must have cost a packet for the standard of tailoring and components.
Great hour-glass silhoette shape to the jacket. I need a 'few' adaptions (ie: pant length), but all-in-all a beauty of a suit.

So this is 'today's' wear at work (I'm typing this on my lunchbreak!), and only after looking at the pics do I realise how washed out I am this week...!!!:eek:

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-8.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-7.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-6.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-5.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-4.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-3.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglis-1.jpg

SINGLEBREASTPEAKEDLAPEL40sEnglishcu.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:

This looks excellent on you Paddy! How do you know the date? Is there a makers tag inside of it? Can we get a close up of the birds eye fabric? Any other details like a fishtailed back to the trousers?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice suit, Paddy. Just a little surgery ... glad you got another SB peak lapel. I know you were specifically looking for them last November when you found that one at Sharks on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley with myself and Fedoragent (somehow talking the shop-girls down to 70 bucks! geez).

And Babs -don't feel bad about flirting with the ladies. I'm a married man too, and I flirt with the ladies all the time. I'd keel over if I didn't.

Slytherin

New in Town
For a signing in paris I wore my nautical dress with my vintage sailor hat and sailor scarf in silk.
DSCN2265.jpg

here at the party after signing with my boyfriend in his vintage airline pilot jacket:

bar.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
mike said:

Mike, the mo' works- makes you look older, which is fine, at your age.

And- you can just about make any combination work- you seem to have an easy style, which equates to dressing, in vintage clothing- rather than dressing-up, in vintage clothing. You look more like someone out of a '30s photo, than someone out of a '30s photo.

Any word...?

B
T

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
schoolboy

Today's look is 30s joe lunch bucket meets 00s douchebag:
Hat Ppl wool touring cap
dress shirt over polo w/popped collar (it's windy)
Eastman A-1 jacket
LVC 201s
horizontally striped sox
Palladium brown cowhide biking shoes
4 day Vandyke

Pix to come, if you can stand 'em.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hey, Doran I've been in Berkeley myself recently... Where are you? Does this shop on Telegraph have ladies stuff or very small mens' things that might possibly work for our 13yo son (recently dubbed "The Deco Kid").

Ain't just the married gents that flirt ya know. I am a very married lady and definitely a flirt (duh) too! I'd keel over too, that is too funny- Doran, let's get together some time and shamelessly flirt my dear...;)

Oh, sorry must dash and go flirt with Paddy, and fawn over how dapper and very handsome he looks in his suit for a bit...

Doran said:
I know you were specifically looking for them last November when you found that one at Sharks on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley with myself and Fedoragent (somehow talking the shop-girls down to 70 bucks! geez).

And Babs -don't feel bad about flirting with the ladies. I'm a married man too, and I flirt with the ladies all the time. I'd keel over if I didn't.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A must agree, a splendid suit, perfect for you Sir. Beside the obvious pants length wouldn't you also shorten the jacket sleeve length to be more period correct for fitting you best?? I'd say something a bit flirty about how the trouser leg cut of the Golden era suits in general, especially on such as this fine example drapes perfectly on you and suits your body type (ahem, clearing my throat) fabulously Paddy my dear but it might make you blush... HA! so I won't. Oops I think I just did...:)

PADDY said:
Early 40's SB Peak lapel 2 pc English suit (full lining). Indications show that this suit was custom made for someone with a bit of money. Little things like a silk gusset support on the inside crotch area of the pants and silk lined sleeves. A beautiful navy blue 'Bird's Eye' woven wool fabric. Lovely high waisted, button fly front pants with buttoned front watch pocket and wallet pocket to rear. For early 40's when Britain had been at war since the end of '39, well, this must have cost a packet for the standard of tailoring and components.
Great hour-glass silhoette shape to the jacket. I need a 'few' adaptions (ie: pant length), but all-in-all a beauty of a suit.

]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike...

mike said:
This looks excellent on you Paddy! How do you know the date? Is there a makers tag inside of it? Can we get a close up of the birds eye fabric? Any other details like a fishtailed back to the trousers?

Hi Mike. It's dated early 1940 on one of the pockets. No maker's tag though. Pants are fishtailed. No vent to jacket. Four button sleeve cuffs all working.

Pics to follow:

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2643.jpg

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2645.jpg

DSCN2646.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

DSCN2641.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member