Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cordova Cap for the day.

1C49940B-B452-4C4B-8703-8CF5729DB5CD-M.jpg

DSC05430-M.jpg

best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Quick run with my latest Simonds today. View attachment 301220

Jay that cap is interesting. I like the blue woven fabric. You will have to fill us in on the details of the cap. The drape from the side view appears to be a medium drape of a medium weight material. Very nice looking cap Jay. Congrats.

Today I sported a medium weight wool French styled, one piece crown, Cordova Cap. The black, red and gray pattern works with my work attire well. Pulling this cap on, I do not need to be aware of coordinating any clothing. Just works for me most days.

2A1E6A09-8699-4DAF-8BFF-81DC9FA61E0B-M.jpg

DSC05470-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Quick errand to pick up some plumbing supplies.

53BB6826-3620-4C7A-81AE-DB2E6DD5AEFE-M.jpg

I intended to wear the showcased Well Dressed Head cap, but it took some effort. I believed I stored it in it's chosen spot. I did not. I ended up pulling out a couple bunches of caps finding it and then re-sorting them back into containers.

3CFF14E3-DE11-45AA-BFC0-F9C8CCBE61DE-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Zip locks... excellent moth and dust protectors for caps.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Zip locks... excellent moth and dust protectors for caps.

Thanks.

Sterilite sealed plastic tubs are filled with caps with tissue paper in their own zip lock. As usual at my house the well thought out sorting by season, weight and color frequently breaks down. Lately a weeks worth of caps pile up and gets put back into most accessible Sterilite container. I do have the caps out for a day to completely dry out from any perspiration and then if needed a leather treatment or steaming.

I am fortunate to have a cap block and the attached pic shows a cap that I had steamed earlier today. It does have some athletic tape to keep the blocks from falling apart when I lift it or move it. Athletic tape is always handy at my house and does not leave a residue.

DSC05496-M.jpg

DSC05497-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wow! What a collection - not only the quality, as I always thought and saw, but also the quantity is stunning!
And in addition, an ingenious system of storage - even if it does not always quite work...

MEM; Thanks. I admit that the quantity of caps is not normal. I am aware that I am not normal. My challenges are certainly first world.

I have no excuse for the quantity other than I really like caps. I have not counted them. When I post contributions to this thread I am aware of the different caps I post up. Often I worry that my "more" frequent posts discourage others. I only sorted a couple of containers. Back to quantity - I would embarrass myself if I did count them and indeed I would be very reluctant to share the quantity. I do not even share the quantity of hats I have. Not an excuse for excess, but I know I am not even in the top ten of cap owners/wearers in the cap community (Facebook Cap group as one definition).

Perhaps like others, my first commissioned caps have not turned out to be as special as my latest in fit, form and fabrics. I have matured into my own preferences. My relationship with the bespoke cap makers have matured. Preferences can be a separate discussion. We all have preferences and it is enjoyable to hear how we have come to them. I see utility in all the caps I have. I have given away as many as a dozen and a half of caps that I just could not see myself wearing. I have many friends who, like me are short bald fellows with a very similar hat/cap size. Caps can stretch with steam and a hat block more generously than a felt hat. This has allowed me to "customize" the cap fit of the caps I have given to other homes.

As to storage, I posted the pics today as an illustration and hopefully to share with others how to store and handle caps. Aside from the quantity issues, the issue of protection of the fabric and the preservation of the blocking is hard.

What do you and others do in regards to storage of caps?

Cheers, Not normal Eric -

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer the wide brim style of 1910s, 1920s and 1930s caps. I wear glasses and the larger "peak" shields my eyes and lenses better from sun, rain and wind. I have grown to love the style, so that's what I buy.

Of the 11 or 12 caps I have, only this Simonds was not commissioned as a custom or bespoke cap. It was on sale, so I bought it because I liked the fabric. It has a more narrow 2-1/4" brim but I still wear it on cooler, cloudy days...
Simonds Cap_02.jpeg

Others usually have a 2-3/4" peak, like this Irish diamond tweed cap from Jonathan Cordova.

Cordova Diamond Tweed_01.jpeg

...I wish more people would post pics of the smaller shaped newsboys rather than the straight brimmed oversize pancake style that seems to dominate this thread.
I prefer the more modern form-fitting caps as well, which is one of the reasons I've added several Ivy caps to my rotation. The slight difference in design generally makes them more form-fitting.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wool for a cool, light snow afternoon in Minnesota.

2B1B517D-1623-47A5-9500-89365A745405-M.jpg

A Fox Brothers Prince of Wales patterned wool cap from Cordova.

DSC05522-M.jpg

This is not a driving cap style. It is a 7 point style. Not a big drape, IMO, it is a medium drape. The caps that fit closer to my skull are not as comfortable. This cap touches the top of my bald skull and then the leather sweat is the only other contact. The silk liner of the cap is barely felt.

DSC05523-M.jpg

DSC05526-M.jpg

Many different cap styles for many different tastes. I will have to break out some "tighter fits" in the upcoming days.

Cheers, Eric -

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
just realized I never responded Eric. Barry said “...these wools are some of my favorites to work with. They are soft in comparison to say Harris tweeds, and the weight is heavy enough to hold a great shape.” I agree with him. Feels pretty thin but holds relatively well.

Cheers!

ps. I store most of my caps with knock off cap pillows stacked on my dresser. I’ve been thinking they’re a bit overstuffed as they tend to get a bit disheveled.

Jay that cap is interesting. I like the blue woven fabric. You will have to fill us in on the details of the cap. The drape from the side view appears to be a medium drape of a medium weight material. Very nice looking cap Jay. Congrats.

Today I sported a medium weight wool French styled, one piece crown, Cordova Cap. The black, red and gray pattern works with my work attire well. Pulling this cap on, I do not need to be aware of coordinating any clothing. Just works for me most days.

2A1E6A09-8699-4DAF-8BFF-81DC9FA61E0B-M.jpg

DSC05470-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wool for a cool, light snow afternoon in Minnesota.

2B1B517D-1623-47A5-9500-89365A745405-M.jpg

A Fox Brothers Prince of Wales patterned wool cap from Cordova.

DSC05522-M.jpg

This is not a driving cap style. It is a 7 point style. Not a big drape, IMO, it is a medium drape. The caps that fit closer to my skull are not as comfortable. This cap touches the top of my bald skull and then the leather sweat is the only other contact. The silk liner of the cap is barely felt.

DSC05523-M.jpg

DSC05526-M.jpg

Many different cap styles for many different tastes. I will have to break out some "tighter fits" in the upcoming days.

Cheers, Eric -
Beautiful fabric

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 302166
I store mine in the top drawer of a bedroom chest.I wish more people would post pics of the smaller shaped newsboys rather than the straight brimmed oversize pancake style that seems to dominate this thread.

Understood H.Daddy about the prevelance of bigger brims and bigger draped caps. Recently this thread has seen some posts showcasing the ivy and driver caps. I look forward to seeing your caps. Good to know your wool caps are safe and well kept. Cheers.

just realized I never responded Eric. Barry said “...these wools are some of my favorites to work with. They are soft in comparison to say Harris tweeds, and the weight is heavy enough to hold a great shape.” I agree with him. Feels pretty thin but holds relatively well. Cheers!

ps. I store most of my caps with knock off cap pillows stacked on my dresser. I’ve been thinking they’re a bit overstuffed as they tend to get a bit disheveled.

Thanks sir for the feedback on the wool fabric. I use cap pillows provided by Keith )Well Dressed Head) and they work. I am standing them on the back side of the cap in a zip bag in a plastic tub. Only recently I have started to have "less" caps in a plastic tub so that the fabrics do not get as "disheveled." Since I wear them the caps often need spot cleaning, liner cleaning, re-shaping and I use the cap block with a steam iron. Low heat and lots of steam. The cap needs a big dry, but they come out looking sharp. I can not make time to do them daily, but stack up a few and then do them in one bunch.

Most of my caps I roll some tissue paper into a long crushed cylinder inside the top edge on top of the leather brim and then I add more wrinkled tissue paper in the crown to hold the specific cap shape. Without the tissue paper on top of the brim the caps always had wrinkles showing on the sides of the cap.

Cheers.

Beautiful fabric

Thanks sir. It has become a current favorite.

Best, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points