Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
I need to start using the tissue. Definitely a KISS principle. My homemade pillows are a bit too stuffed and end up leading to wrinkles brim as you mentioned. The tissue should be more customizable to the specific cap. In talking to Keith about straightening out the wrinkles he suggested an oven mitt and a steamer for touch-ups. Jiffy to the rescue again.

Understood H.Daddy about the prevelance of bigger brims and bigger draped caps. Recently this thread has seen some posts showcasing the ivy and driver caps. I look forward to seeing your caps. Good to know your wool caps are safe and well kept. Cheers.

Thanks sir for the feedback on the wool fabric. I use cap pillows provided by Keith )Well Dressed Head) and they work. I am standing them on the back side of the cap in a zip bag in a plastic tub. Only recently I have started to have "less" caps in a plastic tub so that the fabrics do not get as "disheveled." Since I wear them the caps often need spot cleaning, liner cleaning, re-shaping and I use the cap block with a steam iron. Low heat and lots of steam. The cap needs a big dry, but they come out looking sharp. I can not make time to do them daily, but stack up a few and then do them in one bunch.

Most of my caps I roll some tissue paper into a long crushed cylinder inside the top edge on top of the leather brim and then I add more wrinkled tissue paper in the crown to hold the specific cap shape. Without the tissue paper on top of the brim the caps always had wrinkles showing on the sides of the cap.

Cheers.

Thanks sir. It has become a current favorite.

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I need to start using the tissue. Definitely a KISS principle. My homemade pillows are a bit too stuffed and end up leading to wrinkles brim as you mentioned. The tissue should be more customizable to the specific cap. In talking to Keith about straightening out the wrinkles he suggested an oven mitt and a steamer for touch-ups. Jiffy to the rescue again.

+1 to the Jiffy Steamer. I use it often. You have reminded me I need to pick-up some more distilled water.

Dog soirée, -3f (-20'c), was chilly so a cap was needed.

DSC05528-M.jpg

DSC05529-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hey it has warmed up to 10'f already. A Filson wool mackinaw cap with ear flaps was my choice. This is a cap that is comfy for my head on cold days/mornings. It is my wife's least fav cap. When I wear it all she can see is the cartoon character Elmer Fudd. I liked that character's persistence.

DSC05583-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric (aka Elmer Fudd's relative)

Hey it has warmed up to 10'f already. A Filson wool mackinaw cap with ear flaps was my choice. This is a cap that is comfy for my head on cold days/mornings. It is my wife's least fav cap. When I wear it all she can see is the cartoon character Elmer Fudd. I liked that character's persistence.

DSC05583-M.jpg

Be verwy verwy quiet...

BA9A424B-0B69-4C6A-8EDD-569D4FD2573F.gif

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The rain stops Intermittently and the sun comes out for a short while. Fairly heavy trade winds with some nice gusts, and choppy water with fairly big waves are keeping me out to the water. A walk along the coastal path with a cap is just the thing to do in my Hanna Hats patchwork linen cap.
IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7271.jpeg
IMG_7253.jpeg
IMG_7280.jpeg
IMG_7303.jpeg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The rain stops Intermittently and the sun comes out for a short while. Fairly heavy trade winds with some nice gusts, and choppy water with fairly big waves are keeping me out to the water. A walk along the coastal path with a cap is just the thing to do in my Hanna Hats patchwork linen cap.
View attachment 305011 View attachment 305007 View attachment 305008 View attachment 305009 View attachment 305010

Looks and sounds like an enjoyable day. Great cap day.

Different cap for the afternoon and evening.

27E037E2-EF42-4E69-B2FC-6DF1ED22FD77-M.jpg
DSC05592-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

DSC05583-M.jpg

I like the Filson in the grey, Eric, and I really admire the coat, too. Fortunately for me I don't live in a climate where I would get much use of it. I do manage to get a fair amount of wear from my red Filson cap like yours, though, and interestingly, like yourself, I don't see a lot of appreciation from the ladies for it. My girlfriend tells me I look like a lumberjack....à la Monty Python.....

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like the Filson in the grey, Eric, and I really admire the coat, too. Fortunately for me I don't live in a climate where I would get much use of it. I do manage to get a fair amount of wear from my red Filson cap like yours, though, and interestingly, like yourself, I don't see a lot of appreciation from the ladies for it. My girlfriend tells me I look like a lumberjack....à la Monty Python.....

Thanks sir. The Packer jacket is a jacket for cold weather. It is way to warm for temps above 30'f IMO. In my neighborhood when the temps, wind or both are challenging it is my go to. My Filson kit will long outlast me. The Filson cap must not be seen often enough so that the stereotype prevails. Either that or the fashion folks a few years ago dressed like northern Minnesota folks and as a result made memes of us. Fashion moved on and my kinfolk stays the same.

Your post had me chuckling and singing the Lumberjack song. As a kid I loved this song. I would see my relatives dressed like the actors and it was a funny poke at the culture.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day
He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea"

Being werry, werry careful this morning, Eric -

Thanks sir. The Packer jacket is a jacket for cold weather. It is way to warm for temps above 30'f IMO. In my neighborhood when the temps, wind or both are challenging it is my go to. My Filson kit will long outlast me. The Filson cap must not be seen often enough so that the stereotype prevails. Either that or the fashion folks a few years ago dressed like northern Minnesota folks and as a result made memes of us. Fashion moved on and my kinfolk stays the same.

Your post had me chuckling and singing the Lumberjack song. As a kid I loved this song. I would see my relatives dressed like the actors and it was a funny poke at the culture.

I go to the lavatory

I was singing as well :D

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
I taught my kids tpThe Lumberjack Song (at least part of it) when they were young while we were riding the flume at Camp Snoopy. Grand (but hatless) times! Thanks for bringing back the memory! Onto a couple of drams of Cedar Ridge bourbon. Fantastic Iowa libation and a part of my routine covid test (can I smell it, can I taste it?).

Cheers ladies and gents!

I go to the lavatory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member